Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2012 5:49pm

Style: Lifting heavy stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ONE TWO THREE FOUR FIVE View Post
    There are some other things you can do from this grip other than just accept it. I'm not sure how much you've been doing Judo so far but it seems a bit much to me to go into grip fighting too much at the stage of Judo I assume your at. I was writing some suggestions for what you could do instead but without knowing the grades of your opponents and you it's a bit silly. I would actually recommend talking to your partners/coach about it and see what they say. It may be he thinks you need to start learning to grip fight or it may be that when your coach hears he wants you to cut that **** out and do proper Judo for now, unless he totally dismisses grip fighting or can't advise you, I'd listen to him.
    Ive been doing judo at a rec club for 2 and a half years and am currently an orange belt under the BJA. The coach doesnt teach any grip fighting and does most of the throws from either a high collar or underhook grip.

For the past 6 months i have also been training at a more competitive, bigger club aswell. Theyve touched on grip fighting and do all of their throws using the traditional sleeve and lapel, but unfortunatly due to this club being further away and my work comitments its hard for me to get any regular training there which sucks.

Im aiming to get better at judo and compete in comps for fun and to test myself, i get annoyed knowing that im never going to become an elite judo player so i want to invest time doing good judo as opposed to winning at any cost, i love the whole ippon judo style and mentality.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2012 6:40pm

Style: Wrestling/Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now, what about no gi Judo?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2012 7:14pm

Style: BJJ, Boxing, Indian Clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You mean Greco roman? Under hooks are pwn.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    2/06/2012 8:01pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by td82394 View Post
    Now, what about no gi Judo?
    Derails are not allowed in the technical forum.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Posted On:
    2/06/2012 8:26pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    FWIW, I love an underhook in kenka yotsu when my partner goes over the back. O/Tsuri goshi and, especially, uchi mata are right there. There's also a real danger of a pick up counter if he come in, too. Most people hate being gripped like that--it's a little too close for comfort.

Of course, this a very specialized situation. It is not basic gripping and not a typical stance.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12