Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/06/2012 11:29pm

Style: Does exercise count?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't be bothered to re-watch the entire thing to make sure it's the right video, but if you are into the whole physical culture thing, Ed Thomas gives an interesting history lesson here http://graycookmovement.com/?p=61

I think attempts at more old-school physical culture may become trendy in the next few years, but that might just be the direction of people I read are going.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/09/2012 5:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It would be remiss of me not to mention that the Hegeler Carus mansion in LaSalle, IL contains one of the very, very few remaining 19th century gymnasiums known to still exist - http://community.artofmanliness.com/...mment%3A202110 - complete with antique gymnastics equipment, Indian clubs etc. that lay virtually untouched right through the 20th century. A great place to visit, and there's an ongoing project to restore the gym to its original condition.

Also, the brand-new Forteza Fitness, Physical Culture and Martial Arts studio in Ravenswood, Chicago is consciously modeled on a 19th century physical culture school, includes a cross-fit type course as well as various Western martial arts (historical fencing, Bartitsu, catch wrestling) and features a "gymuseum" of functional antique physical culture equipment that members can use in their training. The still-under-construction website is available here - http://fortezafitness.com/ .

It's not every gym where you can work out on a hundred and twenty year old rowing machine ...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2012 8:46pm

Style: BJJ, Boxing, Indian Clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Forteza seems cool though I dont see anything about Catch Wrestling on their website

Also, why don't Bartitsu people update the boxing in their system? Seriously, arm punches and the old boxing guard is weak sauce, imo. I'd actually consider training in it they had contemporary boxing in it.
    Last edited by Bruiser; 2/09/2012 8:51pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/10/2012 12:51am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
    Forteza seems cool though I dont see anything about Catch Wrestling on their website
    Like I said, the website is under construction - the gym itself isn't even officially open yet, though we've been running intro. classes over the past few weeks, as the training floor was the first thing to be installed. Next up is the reception area/WMA pro-shop, then changing rooms, and lastly the upstairs library/member's lounge (I kid you not).

The website will feature extensive info. on the historical fencing, catch wrestling, Bartitsu and other classes.

Also, why don't Bartitsu people update the boxing in their system? Seriously, arm punches and the old boxing guard is weak sauce, imo. I'd actually consider training in it they had contemporary boxing in it.
    Simple question with a complicated answer, I'm afraid. The old-school guard is specifically intended for fighting under bare-knuckle rules (specifically those of the London Prize Ring) and it's actually very technically logical for that specific style. No arm punching in pugilism, though (?)

Bigger picture is that the Bartitsu revival walks the fine line between practical martial art and historical preservation - the aim is basically to find out where Barton-Wright might have taken his cross-training experiments if his original London club had lasted another, say, ten years. On that basis the stylistic anachronism is very deliberate - updating Bartitsu basically turns it into JKD/MMA/Dog Brothers, which would make the revival itself redundant.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2012 2:28am

Style: BJJ, Boxing, Indian Clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd consider moving to chicago for that, tbh.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/11/2012 11:44am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, give it some time - the Forteza studio is only about 1/2 complete at this stage.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2012 3:53pm

Style: Bowie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As usual, I'm late to the party. Please forgive me necroing this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
    It's pretty damn hard but once you can go through a whole deck in 30 minutes you're pretty much a badass.
    I was doing the Gotch Bible religiously for a year or two. I could do the whole deck in 30 or under. I started doubling the face-value of pushups because they got too easy. I had to start propping up my feet on a chair to make the pushup harder.

But all that did was give me more endurance, not a whole lot more strength. Now, don't get me wrong, endurance is good. Heck, endurance is GREAT. But I ain't a huge guy and I need strength and muscle mass.

After a while the Gotch Bible just plain got boring too. I started putting in different exercises for various suites such as chair-dips &tc.

I'd alternate days with the Gotch Bible and the Srongfort workout or the Farmer Burns workout. Plus some sort of cardio-only stuff like elliptical or treadmill.

And, even though I was blowing through the Gotch Bible, I still never completely lost my middle-age belly. :P

Now, I'm trying some basic kettle-bell stuff, but that little part in the back of my mind is still telling me that it's not going to be any different. I'll plateau, get bored, and still have the middle-aged belly. To be fair, I've not given kettle-bells a fair shake yet. Not enough time and I've been off of them for several weeks because of minor viruses and other excuses.

Anyway, that's a long winded way of saying that even though I was doing the whole Deck in 30 min., I sure didn't feel very "badass." I felt decidedly mediocre. Maybe I just wasn't giving myself enough credit, but still, that little nagging self-doubt...

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2012 5:37pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have not done the Gotch card workout in a while and I only really do it to test/monitor endurance and conditioning or for something different.

Kettlebells are a good tool and I use them but they are over-rated. I find they are good for mobility and conditioning but there are better tools for pure strength development. Also sounds like you need to focus more on your diet.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2012 5:42pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My favourite old time strongman, the mighty atom:

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/16/2012 6:25pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrh80 View Post
    My favourite old time strongman, the mighty atom:

I assume you've read Ed Spielman's biography of Joe "Mighty Atom" Greenstein ... strongly recommended for those who haven't, it's a great story.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast