222375 Bullies, 4203 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/16/2012 12:40pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Creatine and the APFT: A Theory

Ok, let's say I was training to max the Army Physical Fitness test, in its current incarnation... because I am. I'm already close to maxing the Push Ups (around 70 on a good day, need 75) and max the Sit Ups (usually stop and stand up with 20 seconds left on the clock). The run, however, heh.

Anyway, I know that Creatine doesn't do much for Aerobic conditioning, but my idea here is that since it what it does do well, is useful in preparing, that I can use it to my advantage.

Here's how:

A.) Recovery is faster, allowing more frequent training.
    B.) You increase in water weight.

What? Yeah, that's how it'll help my running. Follow along:

If I weigh more when I run, my entire system needs to exert more effort, as if I ran with a weighted vest. So when I'm not carrying the weight, I run faster; not just because I'm lighter, but due to the increased recovery I've been able to train my muscles more frequently.

The catch is, and what I'm not sure about, is how long does it take to shed creatine-derived water weight (before the APFT event), and if there are any unforeseen flaws in my little plan here.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/16/2012 12:49pm

Style: BJJ / Kyokushinkai Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From what I know from my creatine use it takes quite a while for the water to be "in the system"...after the four week circle your plan will work. But if you try to get the new water out of the system, it will probably take quite a while. It's like dehydrating somehow.

I never knew that creatine also has positive impact towards training recovery. Then I should probably start taking it again.

By the way: What time-frame are we talking about?

Posted On:
    1/16/2012 12:55pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you thought about glycerol?
    It sounds like that would be a little more what you're looking for.
    http://www.healthline.com/hlbook/nut...efore-exercise

Posted On:
    1/16/2012 1:03pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Phrost:

I think you're over thinking it. If you really want to improve your run, you should probably just run more. Additionally, you could try running with a snorkel or a weight vest.

On the other hand, if you are just trying to rationalize taking creatine as an aerobic fitness aid because you are going to take it anyway, I don't see how it could hurt to try.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/16/2012 1:09pm

Style: BJJ / Kyokushinkai Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just checked a thread on a german bb forum and it seems that the water is "flushed" from the system as soon as you stop taking the Creatine.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    1/16/2012 2:34pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you completely new to Creatine use or just interested in using it for a different purpose?

I ask because I hate Creatine. My guess is the extra water weight will go away quick because your anus will turn into a bathtub faucet on full blast.

Creatine gives me major diarrhea even though I've used it precisely according to directions. I know everyone doesn't have that experience but I'm done with that stuff.

Posted On:
    1/16/2012 2:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius View Post
    On the other hand, if you are just trying to rationalize taking creatine as an aerobic fitness aid because you are going to take it anyway, I don't see how it could hurt to try.
    I mainly want the recovery benefits of the creatine so I can push harder in general; I'm just looking at the temporary weight gain as a benefit on running.

Yeah, I still hate running, but I've seen overwhelming progress in my fitness level by doing it regularly so I keep doing it. When the new APFT drops to 1.5 miles, I'll be ecstatic.

Posted On:
    1/16/2012 3:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Prone View Post
    I just checked a thread on a german bb forum and it seems that the water is "flushed" from the system as soon as you stop taking the Creatine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scut Farkus
    Are you completely new to Creatine use or just interested in using it for a different purpose?
    Right now I'm about 170, I can gain 19 lbs before the Army starts getting pissy about it. That's why I cut out Creatine in the first place.

Here's the impetus for my decision to give it a try again:

http://examine.com/supplements/Creatine/#main_rubric

Posted On:
    1/16/2012 3:09pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    I mainly want the recovery benefits of the creatine so I can push harder in general; I'm just looking at the temporary weight gain as a benefit on running.

Yeah, I still hate running, but I've seen overwhelming progress in my fitness level by doing it regularly so I keep doing it. When the new APFT drops to 1.5 miles, I'll be ecstatic.
    Piss in your cornflakes alert: The new APFT is still going to include a 2 mile run. Officers decided they still wanted the extra half mile because it is supposedly "all heart."

I will be extremely happy to see pushups and situps be replaced by pull ups and the rower, though. Pull ups are nice because it is a lot easier and faster for me to do 15-20 dead hangs than 75-80 push ups, and the rower because it is a lot easier on my terminator neck.

I think people who train properly and are actually strong for their size instead of just extremely skinny will appreciate the changes. Overall run times will also likely improve, since you are spending less time doing the upper body event (let's face it, 5-6 pull ups is probably going to be passing for men), and the rower doesn't tire out your hip flexors like sit ups do.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Posted On:
    1/16/2012 3:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, if they want to test heart they should just include a 20k ruck. The running portion is to see how fast you can GTFO, and should be an almost completely anaerobic event.

In other words, said Army Officers want to keep destroying people's knees for the sake of tradition.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast