Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/01/2012 1:14pm

Style: BJJ, Boxing, Indian Clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Macebell or Kaizen Maces?

So I'm in the market for either one of those two things. I've used kettlebells, which are a regular part of my exercise routine and I just bought Indian clubs, but I am looking to add something more to it. The difference between these two things are that macebell is longer and would generate more centrifugal force, and may be the greater work out but the maces are smaller and seem more versatile in terms of the exercises you can do with them as it seems you can adapt clubbell execises to them. Maces/clubs are very popular with the Kushti wrestlers and have been a part of Indian physical culture for a millenia, and I'm hoping to borrow these exercises to improve my conditioning for my grappling and in general.

Which would you suggest and why?

http://www.budovideos.com/shop/custo...cat=861&page=1

http://torqueathletic.com/collection...7-5kg-macebell

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    2/01/2012 1:42pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll try to get a pic of the adjustable clubs I have. They're usually configured with all the weights racked on just one for use as a mace. They're about as long as the Kaizen one, but adjustable, which is nice. Anyway, something to consider is where you will be using whatever you buy. The Macebell one looks a lot longer, and wouldn't really be possible to use inside. If you train outside or in a large gym that's a little different. I prefer the shorter one that I can use inside, and a longer sledgehammer when I'm outside.

EDIT: I've seen where dudes have made their own strongman maces. Here's one made out of a bowling ball on a metal pipe:

With a little creativity, you could save yourself some money.
    Last edited by Permalost; 2/01/2012 1:48pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/01/2012 1:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do train outside, even now when the weather is cold(because training at 10 degrees F is badass). Which brand are your adjustable clubs?

I think the shorter one would help isolate muscles better and may be more feasible, economically and in terms of training.

Posted On:
    2/01/2012 2:16pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
    Which brand are your adjustable clubs?
    Not sure, they might even be a custom creation. I found them on ebay, and they look kinda like this:

Here's a link for the above set:
    http://www.strongergrip.com/products...-Club-Set.html

Mine are about 2 feet long each, so two handed exercises still work well. Those ones are 18in, and looks too short for 2 handed stuff. Anyway, you could look around for loadable clubs or clubbells, or even a loadable mace, so you could adjust the load.

The longer handle of the macebell will have a different dynamic,

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/01/2012 3:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Not sure, they might even be a custom creation. I found them on ebay, and they look kinda like this:

Here's a link for the above set:
    http://www.strongergrip.com/products...-Club-Set.html

Mine are about 2 feet long each, so two handed exercises still work well. Those ones are 18in, and looks too short for 2 handed stuff. Anyway, you could look around for loadable clubs or clubbells, or even a loadable mace, so you could adjust the load.

The longer handle of the macebell will have a different dynamic,
    I see. That's an expensive club... I'm not sure if I want to dish out that type of cash. That's like 5 months of gym memberships.

Definitely. I'm think I'm going to go with a heavier Kaizen mace.

Nothing for Show, All for use

Posted On:
    2/01/2012 5:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Jook Lum South Mantis,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stronger Grip is owned and operated by my friend Ryan Pitts.

I bought a pair of steel indian clubs years ago before he started Stronger Grip.

He hand makes these products.

So the cost is actually incredible as this is not some piece of poop made in china cheapness.

His gear is topnotch and is made for heavy training.

Posted On:
    2/01/2012 5:16pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
    I see. That's an expensive club... I'm not sure if I want to dish out that type of cash. That's like 5 months of gym memberships.
    its basically a bar with a flange on the end. With a little creativity and craftsmanship you could make your own with stuff from Home Depot. If you see a long barbell at a garage sale, you could easily turn it into one (or 2) if you know a guy who welds.

Another design I read about a few years back for heavy clubs is to get 2 traffic cones, stick a dowel in the small end and wrap tape where they come together, then hang them point down between cinder blocks and fill them with liquid concrete. Some screws sticking out at right angles from the dowel might make it stick in the matrix (before you add the concrete, then it dries around them inside the club). Once it dries, you can peel/cut off the cone parts, and you've got yourself a heavy set of zurkhaneh style clubs. Some kind of rounded grip is a good idea too. I haven't tried this yet, but it'd be a fun manly task, and way cheaper than getting a heavy set from the internet (and you could probably make a gada this way too).

Here's a quick sketch I MS Painted, cause it's kinda confusing to read:
    Last edited by Permalost; 2/01/2012 5:24pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/01/2012 5:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's really cool, Perma. I was doing something like that to make a gada.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas View Post
    Stronger Grip is owned and operated by my friend Ryan Pitts.

I bought a pair of steel indian clubs years ago before he started Stronger Grip.

He hand makes these products.

So the cost is actually incredible as this is not some piece of poop made in china cheapness.

His gear is topnotch and is made for heavy training.
    I can't doubt that they'd be better but I can't shell out the cash. I will likely buy from him though once I have more cash.
    Last edited by Bruiser; 2/01/2012 5:42pm at .

Nothing for Show, All for use

Posted On:
    2/01/2012 7:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Jook Lum South Mantis,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Save up and you will not be disapointed.

Great guy, he can custom make pretty much anything you need.