My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    5/16/2012 10:24am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by David Koresh Jr. View Post
    Intensity and "winning" are not the same. I can go 90% and still not be in the "winning" mindset.

I'll make a video example for you people.
    This I agree with, it is what I was alluding to regarding judo randori vs contest. Judo specific, true randori is/can be 100% but with no concern for winning or losing, only doing your best so that BOTH people benefit.

So in the end, it's more of a mental/mindset thing than matching intensity.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    5/16/2012 10:57am

Style: kenpo, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So it's time to get ready for competition and "win". Our coach in HS would set up matches with the rest of the team watching, score keepers, and we all had to take turns being the referees. You were expected to go 100% with your A game. The audience was enough motivation for me. Any similar experiences at martial art schools. In kenpo we had in house tournaments.

Best way to fully simulate competition?

Posted On:
    5/16/2012 11:56am

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yup, that's all fine but now you are doing practice matches, not sparring. Different animal. And can also be done with different levels. For example, you don't need to go 100% to get used to the rules, etiquette, being judged and so forth.

Posted On:
    5/16/2012 12:22pm

Style: kenpo, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Yup, that's all fine but now you are doing practice matches, not sparring. Different animal. And can also be done with different levels. For example, you don't need to go 100% to get used to the rules, etiquette, being judged and so forth.
    Of course, I know it's not the original topic but it is the flip side of sparring and somewhat related. I am interested in how other schools do this. (new thread?)

Posted On:
    5/17/2012 4:35am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mike321 View Post
    So it's time to get ready for competition and "win". Our coach in HS would set up matches with the rest of the team watching, score keepers, and we all had to take turns being the referees. You were expected to go 100% with your A game. The audience was enough motivation for me. Any similar experiences at martial art schools. In kenpo we had in house tournaments.

Best way to fully simulate competition?
    yes, this type of drill is especially useful for people who have not competed before. Although I rarely used students as referees, because the ones who benefit the most are beginners/novices. However, if I've got more experienced students, they will get to referee.

As far as an "A" game, the level of student I do this for don't really have an "A" game yet. More advanced students already are familiar with tournament settings, having referees, and the stress that goes along with competing. The advanced students realize the "A" game part is mostly mental.

Posted On:
    5/17/2012 4:40am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I hesitate to have people go into shiai mode in "practice matches". Too much chance of injury in shiai mode. Like I posted earlier, the less experienced benefit more from practice matches.

Judging from the lack of understanding of procedures in judo matches I've observed over the years, this should be done more often.

Posted On:
    5/17/2012 9:05am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Judging from the lack of understanding of procedures in judo matches I've observed over the years, this should be done more often.
    We have a similar problem with people being unfamiliar with procedures/etiquette in kendo matches. It's interesting to watch video of Japanese high school tournaments - those kids always know exactly what to do in each situation.

Posted On:
    5/18/2012 5:11am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We have a similar problem with people being unfamiliar with procedures/etiquette in kendo matches. It's interesting to watch video of Japanese high school tournaments - those kids always know exactly what to do in each situation.
    It seems obvious that the sensei/coach should prepare students to know the procedures, but it seems to be a rare thing these days.

Posted On:
    5/18/2012 9:30am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    It seems obvious that the sensei/coach should prepare students to know the procedures, but it seems to be a rare thing these days.
    Well with kids it is a frustrating thing. The other day we had shiai-keiko for my kids' kendo class. I went through the basic etiquette of starting the match, we practiced it, and then when we did the first match, both kids did it wrong. I commented on the mistakes, and then the next pair did it wrong. They all did it wrong, despite being instructed, despite watching the other pairs screw up and despite that they were all at a tournament just a month previous. Very frustrating.

Not just kids either, adults can be nearly as bad. Every year we run a grading, each time we explain the etiquette, each time the first few pairs of candidates screw up. I attribute it to nerves.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/19/2012 4:06pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's so many concussions one can take.

"I think too many fighters leave their chin in the gym", Brian Stann

If you get the piss smacked out of you daily you'll get mentally tougher, if you don't break of course, but your ability to take hits will deteriorate.

AND you'll add lots of mileage to your brain injuries come retirement time.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345