Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    5/12/2012 1:38am

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The goal of sparring isn't to win. The goal is to test out your techniques regardless of the outcome.

I'll give you an example.

I've got a fairly decent double leg takedown, I could spend all of my time doubling legging people and patting myself on the back for it. However currently I'm trying to incorporate the knee tap into my takedowns. I've been spamming that **** in practice testing out different ways to set it up. I've gotten guillotined, armbarred, and reversed by less experienced guys. "Winning" would be I would try it once then shoot a double so I wouldn't "lose" or just keep it on the ground and play to my strength as opposed to working on my goal.

Sure you should take every once in a while just to smash people for fun and test your A game. However 80% of your time should be spent working on things that you suck at, not "winning". It's not easy at all to be that disciplined, but you got to do it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/12/2012 8:15am

Style: Kickboxing, LGKF, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Indeed, you don't really learn anything from consistently using your tried and tested techniques. Sure don't let them get rusty but try working different techniques. Sparring should be seen as a place where losing or winning isn't a bad thing. Its a place to work out new techniques in a combat situation that isn't an actual fight. So if you do mess up it doesn't mean anything. While trying that in a ring could cost you the match.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/12/2012 8:24am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chen Zen fromFA View Post
    You should always train in the manner in which you plan to fight. If your losing at sparring, then perhaps your plan wasnt very good.
    You should be training at sparring not losing. It is a good plan to work on unknown techniques and tried an true.

I spar to win. I dont spar to hurt folks but I do spar to win. If I wanted to get hit Id just volunteer to be the kick pad
    Then you need to compete because you may be "Winning," but your partner is just training.

Posted On:
    5/12/2012 2:10pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe have a look at this article. It is talking kendo but some of the ideas regarding free practice (sparring, randori, jigeiko) are universal. Particularly how your attitude and approach should change when sparring someone who is junior, senior or a peer to you.

Posted On:
    5/13/2012 7:03am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good article. Yes, I agree that sparring it is not something you want to win but something you will have to practice in order to win. Is your thinking that you will have to win in sparring then I guess you don't need a trainer but rather someone you can knock it out with.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    5/13/2012 9:56pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shut the hell up and train.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    5/14/2012 2:06am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that some people (the guy who got a thread of his own, LOL), don't get the different levels of randori (sparring) that are possible. I surmise that said folks do not compete, so they really don't know what going 100% means.

If you are in an art that does not compete, and by that I mean as in boxing, judo, bjj, muy thai, wrestling, some forms of karate, etc., 100% is kind of meaningless, isn't it. No reference p oint.

From Judo competition, , I damned well know what 100% is. So when I do randori, even all out, it's just not quite the same, although it can get very very close, especially with a much more skilled training partner.

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    5/14/2012 2:26am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Korean martial arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It would be great if everybody understood this.

I spar with lot of guys who says "we go 50% right?", you say yes, and then they hit you full power.."well it's my 50%"..ultimate douche

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    5/14/2012 3:45am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trlababalan View Post
    It would be great if everybody understood this.

I spar with lot of guys who says "we go 50% right?", you say yes, and then they hit you full power.."well it's my 50%"..ultimate douche
    True enought, but different people do have different levels depending on experience, condition, etc.

The first few times I went to BJJ practice, I had the same problem. My 50% was like most of their 80-100%. Only a douche won't adjust, though.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    5/14/2012 7:47am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Korean martial arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    True enought, but different people do have different levels depending on experience, condition, etc.

The first few times I went to BJJ practice, I had the same problem. My 50% was like most of their 80-100%. Only a douche won't adjust, though.
    After few sparring matches in should be adjusted. If not..

Those are the same guys who will hit you after you stopped and hold two more seconds after you tapped.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast