Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/05/2012 10:39pm

supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Royal Court - hindu squats, hindu pushups, back bridge.

Hindu squats are just bodyweight squats with the heels up and an arm swing. Hindu pushups are also known as dive bomber or judo pushups. You should be able to find examples on youtube of all three.

Try doing them in relatively easy sets at first - say 20 squats, 10 pushups, 30 seconds bridge, rest for a minute or two, repeat. If that's too hard, reduce the numbers. Serious grapplers can do hundreds of the squats - they are excellent for muscular endurance.

Cardio is good too. If you can't run, use a machine (treadmill/bike/stepper) or skip rope or something.
    What exactly does the bridge work out?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/06/2012 12:53am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwilde88 View Post
    What exactly does the bridge work out?
    Your neck, which can take a bit of a beating what with people always trying to break your posture. Its also good to have a strong neck for newaza as bridging helps create space for escaping hold downs.

Other, more qualified, people may know more but that's how I have always viewed it.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    3/08/2012 5:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    learn how to properly do burpees & do them in conjunction with rope jumping for cardio, also do bridging, BW squats & pistols, & various kinds of pushups (as many as you can imagine or find examples of on Youtube). If you can, get a pull-up/dip station thing & put it in a corner, or you can get one of those door-mounted pull-up bars & do dips on some chairs. you should be good to go for home training in the morning

*edit: for neck conditioning, using LIGHT RESISTANCE bands or medical tubing for beginner exercises. don't jump right up to "black band" level thinking you're the Hulk, it's won't end well.
    Last edited by Jim_Jude; 3/08/2012 5:22pm at .
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/08/2012 5:22pm

supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't have anywhere for a dip bar, but I'm already doing P90X, so I'm doing quite a few pull ups and chin ups. Would there be youtube videos of burpees? Lol I've never even heard of those.

Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    3/08/2012 5:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judojeff View Post
    Your neck, which can take a bit of a beating what with people always trying to break your posture. Its also good to have a strong neck for newaza as bridging helps create space for escaping hold downs.

Other, more qualified, people may know more but that's how I have always viewed it.
    Bridging on your neck will get you choked out. I suggest bridging across the shoulders and shrimping instead.

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    3/08/2012 5:44pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwilde88 View Post
    I don't have anywhere for a dip bar, but I'm already doing P90X, so I'm doing quite a few pull ups and chin ups. Would there be youtube videos of burpees? Lol I've never even heard of those.

YOU'VE NEVER HEARD OF BURPEES?????????
    Wow. Okay, here. & search Youtube for "burpee"/"burpees"
    (if I still lived in Asheville I'd come over and show you, you'll have to settle for vids)

Last edited by Jim_Jude; 3/08/2012 6:15pm at .
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    3/08/2012 6:18pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    also, get some dumbbells over a 20lb-30lb range that you can handle for moderate to high rep counts & do these:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123