Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/05/2012 7:39pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LXIII View Post
    Ok that got me a little nervous, so, what should i do before stretching, so i dont come across a torn tissues case, and thanks in advance
    Anything that gets you sweating. Stretch at the end of the workout, not the start.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2012 4:10pm

Style: JUDO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    Just do some warmup exercises, that don't challenge your range of motion, prior to stretching.

If you don't want to stretch after your workout, then you need do nothing revolutionary--some pushups, situps, bit of moderate trackwork and the like--just so that you don't go into stretching right off the bat. Let your muscles warm up first, that's all. Just common sense, no need to be nervous. People used to cold-stretch up until a decade or so ago and I still, on occasion, see people injuring themselves needlessly this way.
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Anything that gets you sweating. Stretch at the end of the workout, not the start.
    Thanks a lot, i was ignorant of that fact

Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    The most important thing for any beginner Judoka is cardio.

The more cardio you have the more quality repetitions you can do before tiredness makes them sloppy and the more rounds of randori you can do without having to take a break.

That's really the most important thing- doing as much Judo as possible. Cardio ensures that.

Stretching is number 2.

Weight lifting/ strength training is number 3.

So yeh by all means do regular stretching and get yourself on a basic strength training program, they will do nothing but help. However, you should always prioritise your cardio over the over two.
    Im really grateful, i will surely do
    Last edited by LXIII; 2/06/2012 4:32pm at . Reason: post did not came the way i

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2012 11:32am

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My track coach from high school got me into stretching daily, even if I wasn't working out.

Of course warm up first...I like jump rope or jogging about 800m, or biking. Just enough to have a little sweat start beading up. Then commence to static stretching with position holds for AT LEAST 30 seconds.

I'm just starting Judo/Jujitsu as well, at 29 years old. My dojo has been teaching regular Judo/jujitsu classes for about 13 years now and I am just now getting into it. Time goes by fast. It sucks because all my contemporaries in karate and aikido blow me out of the water since they've been doing judo/jj for over a decade now. As a beginner, I've found just getting in and doing randori everyday is important in learning how to relax and build cardio.

I do a variety of workouts; crossfit, long distance running, sprints, isolated muscle lifts, etc because I like to vary my training. However I always include, or 'invent,' exercises that mimic the body movements I see myself doing in my training. For example, I like to do bursting movements on a cable machine that mimic displacement of opponents balance with your arms in judo, or I like to simulate body transitions on a swiss ball or with a medicine ball for JJ. And I always like to do some type of plyo workout, especially working legs and core. ....just some thoughts from a fellow noob.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2012 8:31pm

Style: Taekwondo, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How about shrimping in the living room, BJJ upa drills and one other (not sure what it's called) where you lay on your stomach and pull yourself across the floor using you elbows? maybe some of the judoka can describe that last one better.
    Just for general fitness, I do something called 'Warrior X Fit' which is free, can be done in the living room and only requires 20 minutes a day and one of those exercise bands.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2012 1:19am

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've always heard that simply called a 'body drag.'

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/14/2012 2:59am

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yah... mat pulls, body drag, ufuku (my horrendous attempt to spell the japanese word my instructors use to describe them) are all the same thing from what I can tell.

Posted On:
    2/26/2012 2:24pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wake up your neighbors and ask to throw them

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    2/26/2012 3:01pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started Judo at 24. You need to come to an understanding about what you want to get out of Judo AND what your club can provide you.

Local and regional competition is not anywhere near nation level competition. If your plan is to be one of the top Judo players in the US or just compete on that level you need to be in an area that can support that level.

If you want to be a proficient player at your club then your objectives are different. Judo is a great form of exercise and conditioning. Not much else is needed to supplement your training unless your plan is to be an active competitor.

If you want supplemental work then Pilates or a strength and conditioning program with a QUALIFIED trainer. My supplemental training focuses on preventative exercises that help to strengthen and stretch. Mainly to elevate pain and undo years of abuse.

Have them develop a program that you can do on your own. This will insure you get a quality workout. After a few weeks they should reevaluate the program to change with the increase in work load your body can handle.

I really need to make this next statement my signature. Your body needs time to acclimate to Judo before you think of supplemental exercises designed to increase anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk please ignore typos.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/27/2012 1:20pm

Style: JUDO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Josh View Post
    I started Judo at 24. You need to come to an understanding about what you want to get out of Judo AND what your club can provide you.

Local and regional competition is not anywhere near nation level competition. If your plan is to be one of the top Judo players in the US or just compete on that level you need to be in an area that can support that level.

If you want to be a proficient player at your club then your objectives are different. Judo is a great form of exercise and conditioning. Not much else is needed to supplement your training unless your plan is to be an active competitor.

If you want supplemental work then Pilates or a strength and conditioning program with a QUALIFIED trainer. My supplemental training focuses on preventative exercises that help to strengthen and stretch. Mainly to elevate pain and undo years of abuse.

Have them develop a program that you can do on your own. This will insure you get a quality workout. After a few weeks they should reevaluate the program to change with the increase in work load your body can handle.

I really need to make this next statement my signature. Your body needs time to acclimate to Judo before you think of supplemental exercises designed to increase anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk please ignore typos.
    Thanks for this response, the main reason that i was seeking advice to improve my level was exactly coz i want to get my game to top leagues, its not that i want to level up my game from today to the next day but that i want to gain a certain way to achieve my goals.

It would be rich to ask for a complete guide to do this, coz my problem is that i dont live in the US im from dominican republic, i dont bash my country but i dont trust in it when it comes to help with improvement for the body, since the only thing that they seek here is to look bulk.

My judo instructor is a Black belt 3rd dan, yet the focus of the club is not to compete at national level, but he is the best i can get in this country, he does train kids and teens to compete at national level, but only here in the DR, since he has been training judo and only judo almost all his life

To make it short, to get a program is something i can only get on my own, and i dont know much of the subject, thats why i thought asking for morning training was the best to do so, i really dont know where to start or how i will follow, i just know im going religiously 4 times a week to train judo, being honest, im just triying to follow every advice that i can get from bullshido since here people tell what they think even if its harsh and blunt

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2012 5:01am

Style: Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My coach makes us do a lot of plyometric exercises like jump squats and jump pushups (don't know the technical term) and a lot of stretching, I can do the side splits now.

I had the same problem you're having but Judo makes you fit on it's own. I only do general fitness once a week and Judo twice, as well as Aikido but that doesn't count I suppose...

This isn't really advice it's more like what I did in your situation. Enjoy yourself.

I had to post because this annoying message keeps coming up when I don't for too long...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast