Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/03/2012 3:02pm

Style: JUDO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Morning training for Judoka

Hi everyone

First a thanks for everyone who can guide me in this thread and also for taking time to read all my inquiries.

I would like to know or better said to be guided into workouts and exercises that will improve my body and that i can do at home, a master told me once that i should stretch every morning and every night to get more flexible muscles.

But i really want to devote to train better, so pointers as to which to do and how many times a day, or for how many minutes, im the type that needs to be guided

Physically, Im 24 years old (a little late to start judo) I weight 152lb and im 5'7 ft, i would say im more or less in my ideal weight but im not fit, i want to develop my body more for Judo. I will gladly take any advice that all senpai out there may have for me.

Also, running is out of question, i live into a very dangerous neighborhood, im trying to figure a way to get in shape, i would check the forum thread of fitness of bullshido but i want something directly for Judoka.

Thanks again

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    2/03/2012 3:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First up, stand tall and make sure you never call another man "master".

As a beginner there's not much you can do in the way of solo work to help with judo, but any fitness training you do should concentrate on anaerobic ability before aerobic. Running isn't really going to help you a huge amount.

Some weight training may help. Judo is all about leverage and all that, but having a strong back is really going to help you starting out. Don't get carried away with weight training though - no matter how much you can squat, it's not going to replace technique.
    Last edited by CrackFox; 2/03/2012 3:23pm at . Reason: mistyped anaerobic

Posted On:
    2/03/2012 3:20pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Royal Court - hindu squats, hindu pushups, back bridge.

Hindu squats are just bodyweight squats with the heels up and an arm swing. Hindu pushups are also known as dive bomber or judo pushups. You should be able to find examples on youtube of all three.

Try doing them in relatively easy sets at first - say 20 squats, 10 pushups, 30 seconds bridge, rest for a minute or two, repeat. If that's too hard, reduce the numbers. Serious grapplers can do hundreds of the squats - they are excellent for muscular endurance.

Cardio is good too. If you can't run, use a machine (treadmill/bike/stepper) or skip rope or something.

Posted On:
    2/03/2012 4:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LXIII View Post
    ...a master told me once that i should stretch every morning...
    Here's hoping this "master" didn't mean cold-stretching...unless you actually like torn tissues.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/03/2012 5:35pm

Style: BJJ / Kyokushinkai Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are not too old. I am picking up Judo again (did it for two years when I was 12) and I am 35 years old. DON'T YOU CALL ME OLD! :D j/k

But except for general weight training you can't really do anything solo. Maybe the more experienced Judokas can tell me if Jason Scully's Solo exercises for BJJ would work for you too...?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/03/2012 6:26pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi everyone
    Physically, Im 24 years old (a little late to start judo)
    I'm hosed then...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/03/2012 6:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In addition to hindu pushups and squats (both of which, when done correctly, are terrific exercises), some form of cardio is a really, really good idea. Judo is a very active sport, and when I first started, randori would seriously exhaust me. Be it biking, swimming, or running (personally, I would prefer the first two, as running always makes me nervous about joint damage), cardio can only help your judo game.

Also, you needn't be so hard on yourself. I just started judo at 23, and I have had absolutely no problems with it; sure, in my class, there are some teens that have been doing it since they were six or seven but that's just how it worked out for them. There's really no point in thinking that you won't do well because you're starting it later. Give it time and practice, and you can be good as well. If you enjoy reading, I would highly advise you pick up a copy of Mark Law's Falling Hard; it's an autobiograpical book about the author (a sports journalist) taking up judo in his mid-fifties and his personal experiences with it. Also, if you're enthusiastic about judo, it contains a real wealth of information about the history of the development of judo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/04/2012 10:44am

Style: JUDO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    First up, stand tall and make sure you never call another man "master".
    True, im kind of vexed since i feel small in the world of martial arts

Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    Royal Court - hindu squats, hindu pushups, back bridge.

Hindu squats are just bodyweight squats with the heels up and an arm swing. Hindu pushups are also known as dive bomber or judo pushups. You should be able to find examples on youtube of all three.

Try doing them in relatively easy sets at first - say 20 squats, 10 pushups, 30 seconds bridge, rest for a minute or two, repeat. If that's too hard, reduce the numbers. Serious grapplers can do hundreds of the squats - they are excellent for muscular endurance.

Cardio is good too. If you can't run, use a machine (treadmill/bike/stepper) or skip rope or something.
    It was hell this morning but i could go for 3 sets, thanks a lot :happy:

Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    Here's hoping this "master" didn't mean cold-stretching...unless you actually like torn tissues.
    Ok that got me a little nervous, so, what should i do before stretching, so i dont come across a torn tissues case, and thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Prone View Post
    You are not too old. I am picking up Judo again (did it for two years when I was 12) and I am 35 years old. DON'T YOU CALL ME OLD! :D j/k

But except for general weight training you can't really do anything solo. Maybe the more experienced Judokas can tell me if Jason Scully's Solo exercises for BJJ would work for you too...?
    Thanks, well its just that i feel small in the martial arts world, since in my country is kind of difficult to actually find good Dojos, and i felt kind of slow starter

Quote Originally Posted by Lanner Hunt View Post
    In addition to hindu pushups and squats (both of which, when done correctly, are terrific exercises), some form of cardio is a really, really good idea. Judo is a very active sport, and when I first started, randori would seriously exhaust me. Be it biking, swimming, or running (personally, I would prefer the first two, as running always makes me nervous about joint damage), cardio can only help your judo game.

Also, you needn't be so hard on yourself. I just started judo at 23, and I have had absolutely no problems with it; sure, in my class, there are some teens that have been doing it since they were six or seven but that's just how it worked out for them. There's really no point in thinking that you won't do well because you're starting it later. Give it time and practice, and you can be good as well. If you enjoy reading, I would highly advise you pick up a copy of Mark Law's Falling Hard; it's an autobiograpical book about the author (a sports journalist) taking up judo in his mid-fifties and his personal experiences with it. Also, if you're enthusiastic about judo, it contains a real wealth of information about the history of the development of judo.
    Thanks i will try to grab a copy of it, and i will go ahead and add some swimming training into my agenda, thanks a lot for the advice

Quote Originally Posted by chemsoldier View Post
    I'm hosed then...
    :LOL:

Posted On:
    2/05/2012 2:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok that got me a little nervous, so, what should i do before stretching, so i dont come across a torn tissues case, and thanks in advance
    Just do some warmup exercises, that don't challenge your range of motion, prior to stretching.

If you don't want to stretch after your workout, then you need do nothing revolutionary--some pushups, situps, bit of moderate trackwork and the like--just so that you don't go into stretching right off the bat. Let your muscles warm up first, that's all. Just common sense, no need to be nervous. People used to cold-stretch up until a decade or so ago and I still, on occasion, see people injuring themselves needlessly this way.

Posted On:
    2/05/2012 4:13pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The most important thing for any beginner Judoka is cardio.

The more cardio you have the more quality repetitions you can do before tiredness makes them sloppy and the more rounds of randori you can do without having to take a break.

That's really the most important thing- doing as much Judo as possible. Cardio ensures that.

Stretching is number 2.

Weight lifting/ strength training is number 3.

So yeh by all means do regular stretching and get yourself on a basic strength training program, they will do nothing but help. However, you should always prioritise your cardio over the over two.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast