223612 Bullies, 3713 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/02/2012 6:05pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

February is Push-Ups Month

Name:  pushups.gif
Views: 76701
Size:  60.2 KB

Look at that picture. Now look at yourself, doing push-ups. If they look anything similar, you're wrong. Seriously, those are some crappy push-ups. My neighbor's retarded kid has better form than that.

February is Push-Ups Month on Bullshido.

But Meesta Phrosty, what does that mean for meee?

Easy, chuckledick, it means you do one push-up for the day of the month, the second you roll out of bed in the morning until the end of the month. That's 3 for the 3rd, and 22 for the 22nd.

Not difficult enough for you? Fine. Repeat it every hour until an hour before you go to bed. For the entire month.

Did we mention that this is for the entire month? Yeah, it is. You sniveltits are just lucky we're doing this in a short month, because the 31st would suck.

As the month goes on, we'll be discussing proper form, variations, and related exercises. And yours truly just might post a video instructional of how to do these damn things correctly, and tricks for doing them to max your APFT scores for you Army folks.

Go on, get some.

I'm on a horse

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2012 6:38pm

Style: Couch Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Good pushup form

Elbows at 5 and7 o'clock, straight back, inhale on the way down and exhale pushing up- for a challenge Hindu pushups or dive bombers, or diamond grip to really work the triceps-

Only question, what does one do about wrist pain? I am usually forced to do standard grip from my knuckles because for some reason my right wrist gets strained if I have it flat on the ground.

Edit: right *hand flat on the ground... Not wrist.
    Last edited by gogiants707; 2/02/2012 6:48pm at .

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    2/02/2012 6:42pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I nominate Phrost for Douchebag of the Month, cause I hate push ups.

Posted On:
    2/02/2012 6:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you have a really bad shoulder can February be inverted rows month?

Posted On:
    2/02/2012 8:01pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    2/02/2012 8:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you mean 1 pushup feb 1st up to 29 pushups feb 29?

My belly always touches down first beating my chest by a mile, but I'm not that fat. What am I doing wrong?

Posted On:
    2/02/2012 8:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    Do you mean 1 pushup feb 1st up to 29 pushups feb 29?

My belly always touches down first beating my chest by a mile, but I'm not that fat. What am I doing wrong?
    You're probably not keeping your spine neutral so your hips are sagging.. You also may be letting your shoulders roll around behind your back. It's hard to say exactly without seeing you do it. Look at the article I posted. And, if I recall correctly, you're female. There are some biomechanical reasons why pushups are more difficult for women to do correctly.

Flyweight

Posted On:
    2/02/2012 9:14pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Res Judicata View Post
    You're probably not keeping your spine neutral so your hips are sagging.. You also may be letting your shoulders roll around behind your back. It's hard to say exactly without seeing you do it. Look at the article I posted. And, if I recall correctly, you're female. There are some biomechanical reasons why pushups are more difficult for women to do correctly.
    Like what? My wife's push-up form is much better than mine.
    :Determined:
    HTFU and join Bullshido on Fitocracy!
    http://ftcy.co/tBAxyj

Here to kick your ass.

Posted On:
    2/02/2012 9:26pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are some biomechanical reasons why pushups are more difficult for women to do correctly.
    I'm intrigued to hear about these biomechanical reasons.

Chaos? Panic?... Disorder??
    .........................​My work here is done.

Posted On:
    2/02/2012 10:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sigh. Talk about generalities and everyone takes it personally. My wife can rock push ups too.

Anyway, I've pasted in a section from the article I posted. See No. 2 in particular. Relative to men, women need greater core strength do do pushups properly--and thus they have tendency to sag like Lindz may be doing.

Three different factors could explain why women struggle more with push-ups than men.

First, strength levels are different between men and women. When measured as a percentage of lean body mass, the differences are dramatically reduced, especially in the lower body. But upper body strength in men is greater than in women, and because upper body strength is a big part of a push-up (requiring moving around 66% of body weight), it's not a simple task for beginners, especially beginner women.

Second, most women possess a higher proportion of lower body muscle mass relative to upper body muscle mass compared to men. If you want to see how this feels, put yourself in a plank position and have someone place some weight above your chest and see how much of an added challenge that is. Then try this again but have the weight placed above your pelvis. Your core will need to work much more to support the weight at your pelvis than at the chest. For this reason women could find the push-ups more challenging for the core.

Third, push-ups are considered the gold standard for strength in young males. Teenage boys likely attempt far more push-ups than teenage females. The "manliness" factor of push-ups provides an incentive for males to try harder and master the push-up.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast