Administrator

Posted On:
    3/28/2012 10:35am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnKenner View Post
    Platoon was a good flick. The most realistic Vietnam movie... not sure about that. Pops served two tours and was greatly unimpressed. Then again, there hasn't been a Vietnam movie my father has thought much of.
    He served and IMO that's the issue.
    The movie he said most resembled the horror of urban warfare - Black Hawk Down.
    That's kind of funny.

My buddy served in Somalia and was part of certain aspects of BHD and said it didn't get the urban warfare right. It was good enough, like Platoon which was his example of realism, at making the masses understand, but it was not "right."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/28/2012 10:47am

Style: Boxing, Judo, Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    He served and IMO that's the issue.
    Well, there were always three problems with any of the flicks:
    (1) They were well over the top - think Full Metal Jacket (incidentally read the book, that is WELL over the top).
    (2) They lacked a lot of historical accuracy - you'll see guys running in the open during a firefight, firing from the hip. We Were Soldiers didn't make it far for that reason alone.
    (3)They had political positions he didn't agree with. Platoon fits snugly into this one.

In the end, yes it is because he served, and nothing made will reflect his experience.

Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    That's kind of funny.

My buddy served in Somalia and was part of certain aspects of BHD and said it didn't get the urban warfare right. It was good enough, like Platoon which was his example of realism, at making the masses understand, but it was not "right."
    I read the book, after watching the movie and realized how much they simplified the situation. Yeah, I could see a vet feeling that way about the movie.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789