Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/04/2012 3:29pm

Style: JP Jeet June Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The truth of matter is you need total immersion. When you start to get grasp on the wrestling you can then add your new found reflexes into your stand up. The collegiate wrestler needs to learn some basic striking. Then spar mixed. Then get you submission game going. How will you do that? I wouldn't know, I have no idea what resources you have at your disposal.
    If kickboxing is your strength you should be concentrating keeping the game standing. When the wrestler takes you down, you need to work on getting up. This is fine in the beginning but you need somebody that knows submissions to also mix it up because you're going to become vulnerable to submissions while trying to escape. There are several striking drills which retard the advancement of most pure wrestlers. Let me know when you're ready for them.
    Thanks, this makes sense. Sounds like I need to work seperately on getting a basic wrestling foundation, and on take down defence from my striking structure. I would be especialy interested in what striking drills retard grappling development, because we are both flying blind, he only knows wrestling, I only know striking.
    Omega is right but here are some simple drills to get you going.
    Double leg/single leg. And defence.
    Pummeling for underhooks.
    Our rule of thumb. Double leg is attempted after a left hand strike. Single leg after a right hand strike.
    Shoot either if you are striking or they are. Not just when you are standing there.

Sounds good. Is there a such thing as striking out of a takedown, with knees, forearms, elbows? or is that just strikers naivete?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/04/2012 4:00pm

Style: Fire and Water Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you have no ground game to speak off now and your looking to get into adverature fights quickly I would focus on tasker down defense. A Rock solid ground game is not easily our quickly learned. Focus on sprawls and getting back to your feet once taken down.

It just all depends on tourer time table for your first fight.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/04/2012 4:21pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricw View Post
    If you have no ground game to speak off now and your looking to get into adverature fights quickly I would focus on tasker down defense. A Rock solid ground game is not easily our quickly learned. Focus on sprawls and getting back to your feet once taken down.

It just all depends on tourer time table for your first fight.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk
    Damn dude, your tapatalk sucks. BTW did you bother reading anybody else's replies?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/04/2012 5:10pm

Style: JP Jeet June Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you mean me, yeah I read the whole thread. It seems like I just need to spar slow, and figure out how to defend my standup. Ill experiment with my friend, and see what drills we come up with. If I can stay on my feet against him, I think Ill have something.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/04/2012 5:39pm

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by brclry View Post
    If you mean me, yeah I read the whole thread. It seems like I just need to spar slow, and figure out how to defend my standup. Ill experiment with my friend, and see what drills we come up with. If I can stay on my feet against him, I think Ill have something.
    Did you notice how Omega quoted someone?

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/04/2012 6:33pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL, no dude, I usually quote the people I'm talking to.

Posted On:
    2/04/2012 6:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Thanks, this makes sense. Sounds like I need to work seperately on getting a basic wrestling foundation, and on take down defence from my striking structure. I would be especialy interested in what striking drills retard grappling development, because we are both flying blind, he only knows wrestling, I only know striking.

Sounds good. Is there a such thing as striking out of a takedown, with knees, forearms, elbows? or is that just strikers naivete?
    When you get into grappling you are going to hear the term dominant position a lot. You can strike from a dominant position.

So yes you can but you have to have broken the effect of the takedown first.

Look here is another drill you may be able to do. We do it with our fighters. And it is pretty intuitive. Although the whole class just lines up and mashes on one guy.

Gauntlet
    1 minute defending the takedown.. (you start standing up your partner is on one knee with both hands on your legs. You cant really start sprawled he cant start with his arms linked behind your legs)
    so takedown reset takedown and so on.

1 minute you doing the takedown and him defending.
    1 minute defending a takedown off a wall
    1 minute you takeing him down off a wall.
    1 minute unresisted takedowns. He just stands there and you double leg him.

1 minute break.

1 minute you in guard. Get some gloves on he will be wacking you. He either needs to pass guard or make you cry. You need to either stand up sweep or submit him. If you do reset start again.

1 minute in side control you have the under hooks
    1 minute side control you dont have the under hooks
    1 minute mount.
    1 minute he has your back.(seated) We go from seatbelt hold. So he dosen't have the choke allready laid on for him.

1 minute rest.

1 minute pummeling for underhooks.
    2 minutes shoot boxing.
    2 minutes unresisted takedowns.

It is mix and match and you can throw in what you want. And it is pretty simple for the guys training you. We have had first timers do this. You tell them "just tackle him."
    Last edited by gregaquaman; 2/04/2012 7:06pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/04/2012 9:11pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't completely agree with Greg, but we set up our drills similar to what he put up.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123