Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/31/2012 7:42pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Inosanto Kali/JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Protagonist View Post
    That's why you do the general research FIRST, and only buy that stuff when you're already writing, and actually knowing the precise direction you want to take.

Buying stuff in advance just to skim through it is a bad investment, usually.

...And if there is no freely accessible info for your paper to begin with,
    reconsider the choice of your subject. Investigating in a new environment can be very rewarding, but also a loss of time and an overall failure. Rule of thumb: The more material publicly available on a topic, the more likely it is you will write a well-founded work that gets a good grade.
    Thanks for the advice... I'll get the surveys & interviews designed and make a general literature review with all the peer-reviewed diploma mill stuff as well as some articles and run that past my supervisor.

BTW, I was planning on interviewing commercial schools in a number of countries, including Spain. I know one school in Valencia as they host Guro Dan Inosanto every November. Can you think of any particularly prominent MA schools (or egregious McDojos) that warrant inclusion?

I want to define the features common to commercially run schools before specifically targeting McDojos.

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    1/31/2012 8:22pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sure, but, again, don't take a random stranger's word for an excuse not to do your homework.

In Madrid, Club Deportivo Barceló is one of the biggest MMA gyms, Fabricio Werdum being its most famous alumnus. Contacting them would be a good first step.

Posted On:
    1/31/2012 11:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Benny, you are a craven moron, but here's a tip:

look at the work (and legislation) surrounding gym membership contracts and even stuff like dance lessons. Then apply that material to martial arts.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/01/2012 8:19pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Inosanto Kali/JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    Benny, you are a craven moron.
    Congratulations!

You have leveled up your E-Penis! (+2 to Slander, +2 to Condescension, +10 to LULZ)

Why not give it a good tug whilst fantasizing about a world where being unnecessarily patronising and rude to total strangers from the safety of your keyboard makes you a fucking superstar?

Get a fucking life.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Protagonist View Post
    Sure, but, again, don't take a random stranger's word for an excuse not to do your homework.

In Madrid, Club Deportivo Barceló is one of the biggest MMA gyms, Fabricio Werdum being its most famous alumnus. Contacting them would be a good first step.
    Many thanks, your caveat is noted: I certainly won't be using any recommendations as more than a starting point for my own work.
    Last edited by Benny Blanco; 2/01/2012 8:23pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/01/2012 8:29pm

Style: BJJ, Boxing, Indian Clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lol, Benny Butthurt. It flows through you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2012 3:47pm

Style: Kissaki Kai/Shotokan/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't see how peer reviews are relevant to any kind of research. I would never allow it from students except in a Lichert Opinion Study. Just sayin'.

If you want to roadmap the best example of a McDojo, try Amerikick out of Philadelphia. I also think the suggestion of looking at the legislation on contract law and bond posting for gym, dance studios, and martial arts school is a great starting point.

What kind of class is this for? What is the point of the research? How will it be used?

Posted On:
    2/02/2012 4:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Blanco View Post
    Congratulations!

Why not give it a good tug whilst fantasizing about a world where being unnecessarily patronising and rude to total strangers from the safety of your keyboard makes you a fucking superstar?
    Aw, funny. You mean you walk up to strangers in real life and ask them to do your homework for you...because it's so important that you get your MBA in karate? Or do you, you know, do i t to strangers on the Internet without even taking a minute to make sure you're posting in the right forum first? (It's a trick question, btw.)

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/02/2012 4:07pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Get a fucking life.
    Says the guy who didn't go to his professors and ask for a starting point. They are there to help you. Is your anger at Rivington related to how they treated you?

They told you to do your own damn homework as well didn't they?

Posted On:
    2/02/2012 4:19pm

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I want to define the features common to commercially run schools before specifically targeting McDojos.
    Just a thought. Is your conclusion already written?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/03/2012 5:08am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a social sciences postgraduate student in the UK, it amazes me that you managed to get through 4 years of university without even knowing how to use Athens or JSTOR, or having basic research skills. If your university is pretty **** at circulating log-in details to on-line resources, why don't you - a responsible adult studying for an MA - go to your student resources help-desk and ask for those log-in details.

If you feel that Rivington was rude and patronising to you, it's probably because you came across as arrogant and demanding. Just sayin'...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast