pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    2/08/2012 4:02pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by creativo View Post
    So how is an armed society a polite society?
    Where in that sentiment does it say that risking death for an extra word is the only way to have polite citizens? I've scanned it a dozen times and I can't find the word "only" anywhere in those seven words.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    2/08/2012 4:50pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm sure you're being a sarcastic pompous crusader but in the off chance you are being genuinely curious:

Because as demonstrated in this thread, if I were armed with a firearm I would not have taken a course of action to escalate the situation, since remaining in the car, armed, I could still effectively defend myself and my wife. In fact, there probably would have been no honking to begin with. The consequences of an escalating situation is very grave, so having an option to still defend myself and my wife, I would remain in the car. That way, though I give up mobility and a bit of a tactical advantage, I still remain very capable of defense while not escalating the situation. Regardless of how pissed I was, I'd have really wanted the situation to de-escalate.

In this case, if he had come around to the driver's side, he could have done anything. Smash window, drag my wife out, take out a knife, etc etc. Remaining in my seat would have effectively given up any chances of effective defense. So I had to step out of the car which promptly lead to the escalation of the situation and a physical altercation.

Is that enough? On a more broader scale, to seriously answer your question:

before I moved to a state without the right be armed, I carried myself differently, more aware, more responsibly, and more politely. Maybe you are fearful of weapons and people with them, but in the hands of a lot of us its a useful and helpful tool for us as well as others around them. Also, because of that fear we do carry concealed (I am a big believer in concealed carry, not open carry, since it gives you a tactical advantage of surprise as well) and not advertise it to the world. I do talk about it on forums such as these where people are able to objectively discuss weapons, since we're all martial artists.
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

Flyweight

Posted On:
    2/08/2012 4:53pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought we already answered that question.

Quote Originally Posted by dwkfym View Post
    had I been armed with a firearm, I'd have calmly stayed in the car and watched what he did, as me and the wife both would have been armed. As long as no weapons came out nothing would have happened.
    That sure sounds more polite than jumping out of the car and getting in a fistfight with some road-raging asshole. When you carry concealed legally you are much more aware of the potential consequences of escalating an encounter, because you will be held responsible for those actions if/when you use that weapon.
    :Determined:
    HTFU and join Bullshido on Fitocracy!
    http://ftcy.co/tBAxyj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2012 7:16am

Style: Judofitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by money View Post
    That sure sounds more polite than jumping out of the car and getting in a fistfight with some road-raging asshole. When you carry concealed legally you are much more aware of the potential consequences of escalating an encounter, because you will be held responsible for those actions if/when you use that weapon.
    Ok, so knowing that anybody could take your life and that you could take his makes everybody more polite.

Makes perfect sense. It's just a bit sad that this kind of permanent threat is perceived as an acceptable way to have a polite society. Sounds more like medieval Japan than civilized western world, but this is a martial arts site after all.

Posted On:
    2/09/2012 8:00am

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, so knowing that anybody could take your life and that you could take his makes everybody more polite.

Makes perfect sense. It's just a bit sad that this kind of permanent threat is perceived as an acceptable way to have a polite society. Sounds more like medieval Japan than civilized western world, but this is a martial arts site after all.
    Actually... it sounds like all of recorded history.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    2/09/2012 9:43am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Good lord, you're sheltered.

Quote Originally Posted by wetware View Post
    Actually... it sounds like all of recorded history.
    Yep.

Civilization has made many of you unbearably soft. That's ok, you'll make for tender meat when it hits the fan.
    Shut the hell up and train.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    2/09/2012 11:41am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, far more than when someone can take the life of someone else and that person can't do the same.

Permanent threats are part of being mortal.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2012 11:45am

Style: Judofitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    Good lord, you're sheltered.
    Of course I am, I live in a first world country where homicide rate is a fifth' of the US's. I don't feel ashamed for it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2012 2:11pm

Style: Basic Self-Defence

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwkfym View Post
    ... A guy cuts us off while we're in the right hand turn lane. He tuns into the parking lot we were going to turn on. Wife honks the horn, out comes the middle finger [EDIT for clarification: HE was flipping us off]. I look at him and he comes out of the car. I scrambled out of the car and get in between my wife's car and him..
    1. Men drive, women sit in the passenger seat. You're doing it wrong.
    2. She what? Honks and road rages? Dump that mentalist.
    3. You got smacked in the mouth for her crappy behaviour. Genius.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    2/11/2012 2:43am

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Rooster View Post
    1. Men drive, women sit in the passenger seat. You're doing it wrong.
    2. She what? Honks and road rages? Dump that mentalist.
    3. You got smacked in the mouth for her crappy behaviour. Genius.
    I had some "your wife" comebacks but I don't want this thread going away to YMAS. GTFO
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 678 LastLast