221967 Bullies, 3954 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 26
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. scipio is online now

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Slough
    Posts
    511

    Posted On:
    1/30/2012 9:52am


     Style: Karate

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Splitting Weight Training

    As part of my training I like to do weights every other day. The problem I have is that due to work commitments I can only manage to do two half hour sessions (plus warm up/cool down) in the day.

    My question is - is doing two half hour sessions as good as doing a one hour session, worse or no difference??

    I try and do one session in the morning and one at lunchtime. I quite often chuck some TRX and Vipr in as I get bored just doing weights.
  2. MikeRC is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sherburne NY
    Posts
    58

    Posted On:
    1/30/2012 1:38pm


     Style: Arnis Kali

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's doable in that time frame if you don't screw around.
    A common am/pm split would be to do power work in the am and then repetition training in the pm on the accessories (ie squat in the am and do glute ham raise, leg curls, lunges etc in the pm)
  3. WorldWarCheese is offline
    WorldWarCheese's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    2,121

    Posted On:
    2/01/2012 2:53am


     Style: Muay Thai n00b

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was able to go a SL5x5 workout in under 30 minutes when I did it (I hated being in the gym so this suited me just fine) and that includes a brief warmup and cool down. You don't even need that second session, but if you want to that'd be a perfect "cardio + weights" thing to my very, very untrained and non-fitness-guru-of-any-kind-and-still-fat self so take that second part with a grain of salt.
  4. scipio is online now

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Slough
    Posts
    511

    Posted On:
    2/01/2012 4:21am


     Style: Karate

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Guys, I do tend to do more heavier weights/reps in the morning and more vipr/trx/cardio second session. The one thing I try and do as time is of the ecense is to keep moving and don't stand around between exercises.
  5. Gypsy Jazz is offline
    Gypsy Jazz's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    959

    Posted On:
    2/01/2012 6:39pm


     Style: Does exercise count?

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It may be slightly tricky to do depending on the crowd in the gym, but pairing non-competing movements and using fillers (some sort of mobility/activation/prehab during rest periods) will increase what you're able to do in the same amount of time.

    Example: 1 set of deadlifts, filler/rest, 1 set of push ups, filler/rest

    Even at 1 minute rest periods you'll still get to have 2 minutes before you get to do the same exercise again. The important thing is not to have a major crossover between the exercise pairs otherwise the performance of both will suffer ie no deadlifts paired with squats. I've heard arguments for and against antagonist movements such as rows paired with push ups, and that's not my cup of tea, but play around and see what you like.
  6. Lindz is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Burnaby B.C.
    Posts
    3,002

    Posted On:
    2/01/2012 7:35pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWarCheese View Post
    I was able to go a SL5x5 workout in under 30 minutes when I did it
    What? did you stick with it long enough for the weights to get challenging? It takes me 25 minutes for the squats alone when the weights are close to my limit
  7. WorldWarCheese is offline
    WorldWarCheese's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    2,121

    Posted On:
    2/01/2012 9:50pm


     Style: Muay Thai n00b

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe? If I remember correctly I got to the point where I couldn't make the 5x5 itself and had to down-weight or whatever for a week or two and then kept going again. Even at that point I was in and out around 30-40 minutes and that sometimes (read rarely) included the additional exercises. I kept decent records on paper, but they are back in the US so I can't get you my final weights or how many weeks I did it.
  8. scipio is online now

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Slough
    Posts
    511

    Posted On:
    2/02/2012 8:00am


     Style: Karate

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy Jazz View Post
    It may be slightly tricky to do depending on the crowd in the gym, but pairing non-competing movements and using fillers (some sort of mobility/activation/prehab during rest periods) will increase what you're able to do in the same amount of time.

    Example: 1 set of deadlifts, filler/rest, 1 set of push ups, filler/rest

    Even at 1 minute rest periods you'll still get to have 2 minutes before you get to do the same exercise again. The important thing is not to have a major crossover between the exercise pairs otherwise the performance of both will suffer ie no deadlifts paired with squats. I've heard arguments for and against antagonist movements such as rows paired with push ups, and that's not my cup of tea, but play around and see what you like.
    Thanks - you right it does depend on who is in the gym - I'm normally fairly lucky in that respect. I try to work on the principle that I do something for arms/shoulders, then abs/core and then legs so I am not working the same area all the time. It can get a bit of rush to get everything in in 30 minutes.
  9. micalhassi is offline

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    7

    Posted On:
    5/02/2012 1:21am

    Bullshido Newbie
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do these both session at the same time mean after one session and take 15 mints rest then do second session. It is not consider bad as you did. I thing it is better there are long time between sessions. Is work out before lunch or after lunch time?
  10. scipio is online now

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Slough
    Posts
    511

    Posted On:
    5/02/2012 3:10am


     Style: Karate

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by micalhassi View Post
    I do these both session at the same time mean after one session and take 15 mints rest then do second session. It is not consider bad as you did. I thing it is better there are long time between sessions. Is work out before lunch or after lunch time?
    Tend to do one in the morning (around 8am) and another mid afternoon. Saying that my work has changed recently and I'm able to do an hour in the gym now so I'm not having to split my workload up.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.