Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/31/2012 1:12am

Style: BJJ, JJJ and JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Depending upon the referee both opponents have to be in the stand up position for it to be considered a takedown. If you noticed, neither one was in the stand up position during the take down. Rather the other person was coming from the downed position.
    This.

I think it is a silly rule, but in IBJJF takesdowns only score points if initiated from the standing position. Those were initiated from the knees.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    1/31/2012 1:30am

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ki-ai View Post
    If it was a double leg, why wasn't he awarded points?
    I believe he received an advantage didn't he?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/31/2012 3:24am

Style: BJJ / Kyokushinkai Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Very interesting videos, Omega. I'm actually learning something from this thread ;)

About the takedown: If it has to be initiated from the standing position (IBJJF), how many takedowns and throws will even award points? There is the Jason Scully video with takedowns and a lot of them are with him being on one knee etc.

A lot of the takedowns I know (except for throws of course), start from a very low base. How long are you considered to have started a takedown from standing position? One knee on the ground? Completely standing?

Registered Member

Stockholm, Sweden (just south of the Polar Bears)

Posted On:
    2/01/2012 4:30pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had a talk with my coach, and he told me that you have to have at least one foot one the ground when initiating. So one knee is allright.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/01/2012 5:39pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, we're just saying where you initiate it.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/02/2012 2:19am

supporting member
     Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a powerbomb, which Omega mentioned* earlier. No way in hell a move like this is legal in any kind of BJJ or freestyle wresting tournament.

This is a powerslam.

There's no way you can tell me that such a thing is legal in freestyle wrestling. ****, if that's true, you might as well be telling me that guys can bring steel chairs for moonsaults because they're totally legal too.

*mentioned as not being a legal move which is, of course, correct.

game dog

Posted On:
    2/02/2012 3:54am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As far as I know, the "no slam"-rule in the BJJ rulebook applies specifically to picking up your opponent while you're in his guard and then slamming him back down. I have never ever heard any other explanation of it in rules meetings, I have never heard that throws that involve slamming are illegal, the rulebook contains no details on the criteria for a throw to be illegal... so as far as I'm concerned, the move in the original post is perfectly legal, just like a power slam or a power bomb would be. I remember being slammed heartily at a NAGA tournament (which has rules mostly analogous to IBJJF)... so, for those claiming it's illegal, would you please point me to some actual documents?
    There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers. (Strategy game truism)

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/02/2012 9:21am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beatdown Richie View Post
    As far as I know, the "no slam"-rule in the BJJ rulebook applies specifically to picking up your opponent while you're in his guard and then slamming him back down. I have never ever heard any other explanation of it in rules meetings, I have never heard that throws that involve slamming are illegal, the rulebook contains no details on the criteria for a throw to be illegal... so as far as I'm concerned, the move in the original post is perfectly legal, just like a power slam or a power bomb would be. I remember being slammed heartily at a NAGA tournament (which has rules mostly analogous to IBJJF)... so, for those claiming it's illegal, would you please point me to some actual documents?
    Only from experience. Seen the disqualification. Give me a few and I'll find the NAGA rule.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2012 10:23am

Style: BJJ, JJJ and JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    NAGA rules are close to IBJJF? *blink*

Anyway... the new IBJJF rules do not disallow these sort of high-impact throws but I have seen DQs and the argument is always that the take down has to occur in a smooth motion. Meaning if you pick someone up to dump them on their head it is fine as long as there is not a pause where you have the person elevated in the air and hold them there before doing so (or even worse using the stopping of the throw to allow you to jump into it to increase the impact)

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/02/2012 10:32am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raging Monkey View Post
    NAGA rules are close to IBJJF? *blink*

Anyway... the new IBJJF rules do not disallow these sort of high-impact throws but I have seen DQs and the argument is always that the take down has to occur in a smooth motion. Meaning if you pick someone up to dump them on their head it is fine as long as there is not a pause where you have the person elevated in the air and hold them there before doing so (or even worse using the stopping of the throw to allow you to jump into it to increase the impact)
    This is what I have seen. What may be happening amongst us is also a mix in terminology. I'm grouping many different things into the word "slam". So technically you guys may be correct and we're talking about two different techniques that still end with DQ.

Also I'm with Raging Monkey; I've never found NAGA and IBJJF rules to be close, but I'm more familiar to NAGA no gi rules so I could be wrong.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 678 LastLast