Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/31/2012 9:41am

Style: French Smallsword

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Shared an anecdote and googled an article

So apparently titanium can increase risk of infection under certain circumstances.
    Couple things. 1) That's not what the article says. The article concludes that certain metals in prosthesis may inhibit certain cytokine releases which can impair immune response at the local level under chronic exposure to the metal. The reality is unless someone's leaving that titanium blade in you for years then the effect is going to be negligible if at all.

2) For the record there are many many studies showing stainless steel (you know...the stuff common knives are made of...) have a higher infection rate than titanium implants.....so by your rationale, that makes stainless steel knife wounds tougher to heal....but the reality is for the most part a cut is a cut (there are some exceptions out there but not applicable to an average knife fight). What is cut by a blade matters more than by what metal unless you're cutting with something falling under the HAZMAT umbrella....but now we're entering further into the realm of science fiction and bullshido....
    Last edited by BryanW; 1/31/2012 9:42am at . Reason: added a number

Posted On:
    1/31/2012 9:47am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would love to hear if they've actually done any proofing on these things.

... I mean, it's obvious they haven't, but I'd still like to hear them sputter on about it.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    1/31/2012 12:37pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by realjanuary View Post
    Perma: if you get one of the staffs, could you let us know what it's like. I'm not so sure about it from just reading the reviews on their site but I'm interested.
    The look of the quality of the fan actually makes me less inclined to purchase the zen staff. If I were them I'd take that part down.
    Yeah, they talk a big game about that staff, but the over the top marketing of the fan makes me skeptical about the staff claims as well. I prefer impact weapons that can actually take a beating but all the photos they have are guys standing doing kata. I'd like to see it struck hard against a tire stack until failure.

Posted On:
    2/01/2012 4:48am

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanW View Post
    ... ...
    Stfu noob.
    Learn to read.
    I clearly wrote "certain circumstances"; get a sense of humor and put down that straw.
    First of all anyone who seriously thinks a fucking fan can stop a bullet is a retard.

But if we want to play semantics, the immuno-suppressive properties of certain metals is a large enough concern (re: surgical implants) to warrant current research.
    It is even said that such properties are "well-documented".

Anecdotally, i've had tiny titanium cuts that lasted for months; while similar steel, aluminum and even carbon/epoxy cuts healed quickly.

If you'd like to extrapolate that into a whole bunch of nonsense be my guest.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2012 3:07am

Style: French Smallsword

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lighten up. That quote summary I posted wasn't meant to be an insult I just didn't want the post to be mostly comprised of a quote.

Suffice to say you calling me a "noob" about this is like me trying to call a BJJ black belt a "noob" in grappling. I'm simply trying to clarify something that's all.

All implants run the risk of infection. No matter what they're made of. The current debate now is which metal is of least risk and if antimicrobial coatings work or not, and if so, to what extent. It's controversial but titanium seems to yield overall better results than stainless steel in many instances which is why many in orthopedics tend to gravitate to it. Regarding immunosuppresive qualities, there is some research on that but all of it is based on chronic exposure, not a simple laceration.

As far as anecdotal evidence...that's one step from me saying "hey i blink twice and the light turns green everytime....therefore every time I blink twice the light will turn green." It's not evidence based. It's nice to know if that's all we have but there's other things to consider. The only "nonsense" to "extrapolate" to is what you just posted and its relevancy to the topic.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2012 8:57am

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a fair bit of firearms experience(NRA Instructor) and My Wife uses fans for Tai Chi. We both agree, you would have to be flipping crazy to attempt to stop any caliber out of any firearm with these. I don't care if you have worked up to the highest Captains Of Crush gripper and you are carzy fast, you are not going to hang onto this thing and stop a round.

Posted On:
    2/02/2012 9:04am

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you used this to defend yourself against a knife or a bullet, the result would be the bullet or knife that punched a hole through your abdomen would be beautifully giftwrapped in a ti/kevlar fan.

It would be like preparing an expensive birthday present for Quincy.

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

heaven sent and hell bent but weapons clenched and well kept

Posted On:
    2/02/2012 10:24am

supporting member
     Style: 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That said, there's no way that thing could stop a bullet.
    It would just deflect even if it wasn't punctured outright.
    Note they don't actually claim any bullet deflection will happen, but that the fan is "bullet proof".

I think the sellers are being colorful with their choice of words, and that the fan would technically still operate correctly (albeit with a little bullet hole) if someone shot through it. If it hits any one spine and breaks that spine the other spines still support the fan....etc. You might be dead, but the fan will keep on ticking.

So yeah in that sense, a paper towel is also bullet proof. You can shoot a bullet through it and it will still wipe up a messy counter top.

If Bounty reads this, you can PM me for where to send the royalty check for that commercial idea.

Posted On:
    2/02/2012 10:43am

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The fan would deflect or be punctured, wabbit.
    Titanium has properties similar to steel.

heaven sent and hell bent but weapons clenched and well kept

Posted On:
    2/02/2012 10:48am

supporting member
     Style: 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The fan would deflect or be punctured, wabbit.
    Titanium has properties similar to steel.
    Right but I'm thinking what the seller is actually claiming (assuming it's not a language issue) is that even when punctured (by bullet, knife, etc), the fan is technically still a working fan, ie "proof". I don't think they're actually claiming the fan itself will deflect bullets and knives (that's ridiculous)..even using the kevlar weave, any of the LEF guys will tell you that's not thick/layered enough to stop a slug. (I know you probably knew that anyway.)

Notice how it doesn't say "blunt force proof" because obviously when a sledge hammer meets this device, it will no longer be a fan, but a crumpled little ball of titanium spines and kevlar weave.

Thorgrim should test this **** out...time to squeeze the Charmin, if you know what I mean.

Last edited by W. Rabbit; 2/02/2012 10:55am at .
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast