Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2012 1:09pm

Style: BJJ / Kyokushinkai Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Snow and ice are the new lava and broken bottles...

Hey guys,

this is not a hero thread - quite the opposite actually but hear me out: It hasn't snowed here all winter, today was the first day with snow. I was on the way to the train station to go to BJJ when I found I had no cigarettes left (yeah, bad for you, smoking sucks...etc.). So I decided to take a detour to the gas station to get cigarettes. The station is on the other side of the road, four lanes of traffic. There were kids with their mothers and to be a good example I waited with them at the traffic light (I've bad memories of kids crossing the street during red light phases). We were standing there when a - let's call him youth - decided he didn't want to wait. While he was passing us, the kids asked their mothers if that was okay and the mothers plus me said: NO, don't do that, you can get hit by a car. I said this loudly, I wanted that guy to hear it.

He stopped on the other side of the road, waiting for me. Started cussing me out in Turkish (yeah, I know the cuss words from where I grew up). I then told him to **** off because he had done something wrong and he was a bad example. This is were the fun started: He pushed me and I immediately fell on my ass. I just slipped, no balance on the hard snow-turned-ice surface. He tried to kick me, I took him down, hit him in the face and was in side mount when I was pulled off. Lucky for me everyone knew that I was not guilty of anything and that was that.

So two things are important (can't go to BJJ now, my knees are bloody and hurt like hell):

1. **** lava and broken bottles, snow and ice are the real enemies to us martial artists. I want this to be officially known and no one is to bring up the other things again.

2. Slippery and icey surfaces turn the tides against you. How can you prepare for such a thing?

Senseless rant? I guess not. But I am extremely pissed. If I meet that guy again (which is VERY probable) I don't know what will happen.

Discuss...

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    1/27/2012 1:18pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I used to spar in the park on Saturday mornings, some days the grass would be wet, and there would be a ridiculous fall where someone would try to kick and their standing leg would slide out from under them. A few times, that person was me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2012 2:11pm

Style: 空手 / &#2147

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Glad you're ok. Maybe that's why in some arts you have these goofy wide and deep stances, for uneven and treacherous ground?

Posted On:
    1/27/2012 2:15pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Prone View Post
    2. Slippery and icey surfaces turn the tides against you. How can you prepare for such a thing?
    You can't, unless you buy some sort of cleats like these: http://www.polarcleats.com/. It doesn't take a large patch of ice to flip you on your ass, and there's no telling when you'll hit one. My impromptu celebration of the first day of winter was having my feet suddenly fly sideways out from under me.

And, those falls can be nasty - my boss broke his ankle a few years ago in such a fall, requiring a plate and screws to fix.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2012 2:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just glad he didn't get me with the kick when I was down. But it made me feel uneasy to say the least. Slippery surfaces suck for fighting (and I was not even looking for a fight).

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    1/27/2012 2:52pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Moenstah View Post
    Glad you're ok. Maybe that's why in some arts you have these goofy wide and deep stances, for uneven and treacherous ground?
    That's what some of the Silat folks say. Fighting in the jungle and such. I don't really buy it so much- not falling, especially while fighting, is about adjusting to a changing dynamic, and an overly wide stance can make those adjustments more difficult than in a less dramatic stance. Conversely, I've used a fairly wide stance while trying to keep my balance on a ship at sea. A wider stance can be useful, just not an excessively wide, deep stance.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2012 3:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I see where you are getting at. Might've been just that I would never have thought he'd attack me (even less that he would try to kick me while on the ground which didn't work out for him ;))

Posted On:
    1/27/2012 8:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Prone View Post

learn how to fall and train how to fight on your ass

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    1/27/2012 8:19pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    learn how to fall and train how to fight on your ass
    Judo + BJJ = win!
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2012 3:49pm

Style: Aikido, bits of jits

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting and informative story, but I think that snow and ice will never replace lava and needles. For one thing the presence of snow and ice would actually encourage butt scooting / low harimaus fighting stances to avoid falling.
    For all the falling training I do, a little slip on ice will remind me how my basic instincts still haven't be fully changed.

PS when trying to write butt scooting, I initially wrote butt scouting, which is completely different.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast