Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
  1. --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

TKD Expert Charged With Luring A Child Under 14

Aug. 4, 2004. 01:00 AM

Man charged in luring of child

BOB MITCHELL
    STAFF REPORTER

A martial-arts expert who competed internationally for Canada has been charged in connection with the luring of a child for a sexual purpose.

"I'm shocked ... I cannot believe this," said Jung Ko, who owns the Jung Ko Tae Kwon Do Academy where the accused worked.

"I've known him for the past 15 years. ... I would trust him with my own children."

The accused, who teaches a few adult competition classes, has been working primarily as an administrator, arranging tournaments and camps for Ko's three academies in Vaughan, Toronto and Keswick.

Ko said the accused, who has a fifth-degree black belt, had competed for the Canadian National Tae Kwon Do team in the 1990s.

York police allege a 12-year-old boy was lured into exposing and touching himself on a Web cam over the Internet. It is also alleged that a man exposed himself to the child.

Police said the victim had nothing to do with the tae kwon do operation.

Police were contacted after a family member discovered the youngster had been acting suspiciously when he was on the Internet.

Anyone with information is asked to contact York Police's Child Abuse Unit at 1-866-876-5423 ext. 7075 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS.

Shane Nesbitt, 34, of Vaughan has been charged with one count of luring a child under 14 for a sexual purpose and one count of exposure to a child under 14.

--------

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...=1091571051006

(Link 'expires' after 14 days of initial posting, then you need subsriber access.)

Edit: Well I couldn't find any more information on this.
    Ok wait, I found it.

http://www.680news.com/news/local/ar...03_145205_3956

Or not, basically the same radio station said yesterday that the parents noticed the boy doing strange things at the computer and quickly shut it off. Then the parent reactivated the computer and checked the logs of the child.....

Scary stuff. Gotta keep a watch out on those kids.....
    Last edited by PizDoff; 8/04/2004 9:43am at .

Middleweight

Posted On:
    8/04/2004 7:31pm

supporting member
     Style: MT, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a very loose connection to the world of martial arts. I think the artical focuses too heavily on the tae kwon do side of things when really that is quite irrelevant.

Posted On:
    8/04/2004 11:12pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You raise a good point.

But, this is just another example of a martial arts myth.

The myth being that 'martial arts creates character.' The idea that doing these ancient traditional martial arts will make you a good person. Ronin69 said a while back 'Martial arts creates character; martial arts has lots of characters."

As clearly demonstrated here and in other posts and threads, the myth is simply not true.
    Yes, you can better yourself with a study in martial arts, traditional or not, but it will not make you to bright shining example that society should model itself after.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Posted On:
    8/05/2004 11:16pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh yeah, not to mention this serves as another reminder for parents to aware of such things going on that respected sensei's may do, and to caution them to not use martial arts as merely a day care.

The parents should be able to/ can watch their children's classes, and it can make for stimulating discussion outside of the class.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Posted On:
    8/07/2004 4:29pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm curious as to what exactly "luring" the child means... At the risk of being extremely controversial, surely there is a possibility that this was not totally without the 12 year old's consent? I mean from reading the article it seems like the 12yr old never actually met Nesbitt offline...And how exactly could he have forced the 12 year old into it without having any real world contact with him?

I know that the kneejerk reaction is to assume that this is the typical "paedophilic monster" case... but like i said, perhaps it's not as clear cut as you'd think.

I restore the Balance

Posted On:
    8/07/2004 11:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: I wear pants

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Dark Majique
    [This is a very loose connection to the world of martial arts. I think the artical focuses too heavily on the tae kwon do side of things when really that is quite irrelevant.
    Funny how these sorts of crimes seem to happen quite frequently. Must be a coincidence. (Smirks)
    Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena

Posted On:
    8/08/2004 12:00am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Kungfoolss
    Funny how these sorts of crimes seem to happen quite frequently. Must be a coincidence. (Smirks)
    How many times did it happen to you?

nuthin' ta f*ck with

Posted On:
    8/08/2004 12:25am

supporting member
     Style: MT/SUB GRAPPLING

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If any significant number of people trained in SCARS there might be a possibility of perv related news.

Besides, the general consensus is that mail-order self-defense systems aren't really considered legitimate martial arts and therefore unworthy of mention in the first place.

Posted On:
    8/08/2004 10:11am

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Very true.

Das Moose - There is a good reason why governments have created a definition of something called a 'legal age' and 'age of consent.' Regardless of whether a say.....twelve year-old wanted to expose himself to a man, the law rightfully sees the child as unable to make his own intelligent decisions with the dangers of the world. Therefore whether of not the child wanted to expose himself or not is irrelevant, another person may likely have had influence.

I am in no way drawing any conclusions as to whether this man is or is not guilty here. We do not have the information but I'll post updates to the case as I become aware of them. You DO NOT know what the man has said to the child, you do not know what type of communication he has had.

Posted On:
    1/18/2005 2:27pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TTT45
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast