Posted On:
    1/25/2012 4:53pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

First-aid kit for, er, mature judoka?

Hello all,

I have used the search feature and read the most recent subforum pages, I do not think I'm repeating a FAQ but it's not impossible. If so just point me to the right direction.

So, I'm 34 and I was never as fit; I'm doing Judo ~3 times a week (sometimes 4) for 1/1:30 hour each session, plus weightlifting ~3 times a week (on average). I do not feel "burned out", I'm actually quite comfortable with the setup in a pure "stamina" perspective; the Judo classes are completely exhausting, but in a good way. Honestly, never felt better...

Having said that, I just realised that I was never really concerned about taking care of myself. This was perhaps acceptable when I was 20, but not today. So I missed out on all the small little "tricks" people use to make their small injuries heal faster: I just used ice when it was really swollen and just "let it heal by itself, it will do so eventually".

That's where I would like to receive some feedback: I'm not especially concerned with pain per se, but more in terms of helping the healing process. My most recent injuries were (just for reference, ideally I would like to hear about other common injuries):

- Some kind of fracture in the big toe of the foot. Didn't really make anything, still kind of hurts. This one is perhaps the only one I think I should have gone to the doctor.
    - Sprained ankle, hurts when I press the muscle and when I rotate the foot
    - Sprained groin, in particular the right adductor. When I force some movements it hurts like hell, but otherwise perfectly bearable.
    - Misc. cuts and bruises from randori (including due to people not clipping their bloody toe nails).
    - Generic muscle pain here and there, depending on the week. Nothing that has any functional impact though.

What are the most common "first aid" solutions you guys use? I've been told to use ibuprofen, voltaren and Leukotape for the strains, poultices for the odd muscular pain here and there, just paracetamol and aspirin for just about anything, a disinfectant gel for the bruises,etc, etc.

Before I go to the pharmacy I would like to hear about your go-to solutions for this common injuries.

Oh, and I know that one of the first ones is "Make sure to rest in order to recover"; also practising Judo is just a detail, this stuff is applicable to just about any martial practice. The idea is to collect information about a "first-aid kit" for the most common injuries.

Thank you and cheers!

Posted On:
    1/25/2012 6:28pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ibuprofen gel.

Deep heat

Ice packs

Zinc oxide tape

General strapping.

Stretching.

And most importantly rest.

Posted On:
    1/25/2012 8:04pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is it the big toe itself or the proximal joint? That's such a common pain that I've dubbed it "Judo Toe" (you know, like "Tennis Elbow"). I get it either by coming down too hard on the ball of my foot or, worse, accidentally rolling my toe underneath me. Personally, I've always nursed it back to health with rest/ice/ibuprofen (YMMV), but it does hurt like a beeyatch and takes awhile to go away. It sounds like you could use an ankle support though, maybe the type that lace up?

The first aid kit I keep in my bag includes antibiotic ointment with acetaminophen (so good for mat burn), liquid skin (for stopping the bleeding of all those minor cuts right away), gauze, lots of sports tape, instant ice packs, ziplock bags (can make them into ice packs and not "waste" instant ones if there's a source of ice nearby), Tiger Balm, nail clippers, and a couple of other things.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/26/2012 4:09am

Style: Jhoon Rhee Tae-Kwon-Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Duct tape and a bottle of Macallan.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/26/2012 4:14am

Style: BJJ / Kyokushinkai Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since I have the same problems and am of the same age (which is not old :D) I can chip in a little bit: I have tape on me all the time (mostly to tape my fingers because the skin always gets torn off when handling a Gi) and I tape my feet sometimes (bones don't work like they used to). I have compression bandages which I use if things really get ugly, band-aids, different salves (Voltaren etc.).

I really should get those instant ice-packs. How do they work? Do I have to freeze them beforehand?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/26/2012 10:53am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Ibuprofen gel.

Deep heat

Ice packs

Zinc oxide tape

General strapping.

Stretching.

And most importantly rest.
    Thanks a lot, splendid list right there mate, that was exactly what I was after. It's only proper that you're the first to reply since I think that half my injuries are indirectly your fault... "Ummm, focus, focus! What was that T-ing up stuff you read yesterday from the blog? Ahh, yes, triangle, feet goes there and then ARGHH".

More seriously though I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for your posts (here and in the blog), I like to think that I suck a bit less due to them.

Quote Originally Posted by maofas View Post
    Is it the big toe itself or the proximal joint? That's such a common pain that I've dubbed it "Judo Toe" (you know, like "Tennis Elbow"). I get it either by coming down too hard on the ball of my foot or, worse, accidentally rolling my toe underneath me. Personally, I've always nursed it back to health with rest/ice/ibuprofen (YMMV), but it does hurt like a beeyatch and takes awhile to go away. It sounds like you could use an ankle support though, maybe the type that lace up?
    Went looking for it, apparently my injury is in the MTP joint, but it was due to "rolling my toe underneath me", with someone on top. After some months it still hurts, I think it wont go away easily now.

The first aid kit I keep in my bag includes antibiotic ointment with acetaminophen (so good for mat burn), liquid skin (for stopping the bleeding of all those minor cuts right away), gauze, lots of sports tape, instant ice packs, ziplock bags (can make them into ice packs and not "waste" instant ones if there's a source of ice nearby), Tiger Balm, nail clippers, and a couple of other things.
    Adding to my list, this is all good stuff to know. I'm going to be sooo pimped out in terms of ointments :D

Quote Originally Posted by Prone View Post
    Since I have the same problems and am of the same age (which is not old :D)
    Hehe, I hear you mate... I think the same but one begins to notice that something changed when everybody around starts calling you "Mister" :)

I can chip in a little bit: I have tape on me all the time (mostly to tape my fingers because the skin always gets torn off when handling a Gi) and I tape my feet sometimes (bones don't work like they used to). I have compression bandages which I use if things really get ugly, band-aids, different salves (Voltaren etc.).
    Nice call, I also end up leaving blood all over due to the skin near the nails retracting.

Quote Originally Posted by jedtex88 View Post
    Duct tape and a bottle of Macallan.
    I use Lagavulin, but the idea is there ;)
    Last edited by RedCelt; 1/26/2012 11:21am at . Reason: sp.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/26/2012 11:14am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One thing I'd like to know while we are at the topic: When rolling in BJJ I get minor scratches in the face (people need to trim their f'king nails). It's not too bad but the question "is that your blood or mine" is nothing I like to hear. Anyone else have that problem and can tell me what to do (during training and afterwards)? Not really cuts, just minor scratches that bleed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/26/2012 11:59am

Style: Holiday Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Prone View Post
    One thing I'd like to know while we are at the topic: When rolling in BJJ I get minor scratches in the face (people need to trim their f'king nails). It's not too bad but the question "is that your blood or mine" is nothing I like to hear. Anyone else have that problem and can tell me what to do (during training and afterwards)? Not really cuts, just minor scratches that bleed.
    I usually keep a little pot of Germaline in my kit bag (but any antiseptic would do the trick) but i'm a bit ocd about injuries that break the skin. Especially from grubby nails.

Surgical Spirit/rubbing alchohol would probabley be just as good but it stings more.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/26/2012 12:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, was just wondering because I read something about "artificial skin" here. What is that? Skin in a spray can? ;)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/26/2012 2:33pm

Style: Holiday Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seen the stuff but never tries it personally. My eldest uses it for bad grazes and stuff from football and he said it hurts like hell but then, he is a big wuss.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast