Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/25/2012 3:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing & Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Shadowboxing video

I've been away from boxing for about a year and a half but I am finally going to go check out a new gym this week. I made this video last night. Is there any bad habits I've picked up from not training that I should be aware of before I walk into the new gym?

Sorry about the lighting.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    1/25/2012 3:30pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shadowboxing looks fine, but then again, it always does. It's like the kata of boxing...

You didn't look like you were making and glaring mistakes, but since shadowboxing inherently penalizes commitment and power, I never trust it for skills evaluation. Bagwork is better.

Just go tot he gym and have fun. Your bad habits will become apparent under pressure and the motivation to correct them even moreso.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/25/2012 3:45pm

Style: lazy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good to hear the old school acdc in the backround.

Looks O.K. to me.

Maybe a little stiff in the shoulders (and sometimes arms-your jab mostly) from concentrating on your guard, but hey, par for the course. You havn't trained in a while.
    Your elbows look like they are flaring out a bit which is affecting how straight your punches are.

Your head is tucked in pretty good, but only when you're watching the floor.
    If you walked into my gym I'd be pretty happy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/25/2012 4:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing & Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I noticed my elbows were flared out as well. I think I do it because I keep my hands far out to parry punches (slipping and parrying were my main defenses). Is this an acceptable reason for it, or am I just rationalizing a way to get out of fixing a technical mistake?

I've also been told that I lean forward too much, but when I try to lean back I feel so stiff and it gets harder to get hip/shoulder rotation on my punches. Opinions?

And I swear, I only look at the floor when I'm shadowboxing. :P

Edit - I don't throw the overhand right very often but you can see a few at 5:40. Am I doing it right? I've only ever thrown it as a one off punch and that only worked until my sparring partners caught on to me after a couple rounds. What are some good ways to set it up?
    Last edited by BrokenFist; 1/25/2012 4:46pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2012 5:10pm

Style: MARS, Shooto

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokenFist View Post
    Yeah, I noticed my elbows were flared out as well. I think I do it because I keep my hands far out to parry punches (slipping and parrying were my main defenses). Is this an acceptable reason for it, or am I just rationalizing a way to get out of fixing a technical mistake?

I've also been told that I lean forward too much, but when I try to lean back I feel so stiff and it gets harder to get hip/shoulder rotation on my punches. Opinions?

And I swear, I only look at the floor when I'm shadowboxing. :P

Edit - I don't throw the overhand right very often but you can see a few at 5:40. Am I doing it right? I've only ever thrown it as a one off punch and that only worked until my sparring partners caught on to me after a couple rounds. What are some good ways to set it up?

Coupla things I spotted:

During combos, you are dropping your left on occasion when you throw your straight right. (Btw, that is a fantastic looking straight right.)

That over hand right, IMO, you are casting a bit too much. I'd say tighten it up a little for boxing, but it's arguably perfect for MMA. Maybe keep the arm bent a bit more.

Good footwork/ Great head movement

As a general rule, I like to work some more blocks and feints while shadowing, but to each his own on that note.

Set ups for the overhand:

Throw a quick lead uppercut, step right, overhand.

Jab, left hook/pivot step left, overhand.