Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/25/2012 8:46am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

42 of My Favorite Takedown Techniques in Just 6 Min - Jason Scully

This video was my highest requested video from many people when I asked with a recent questionnaire. In this video you will find MY favorite takedown techniques that I personally use successfully on a regular basis in training and in competition. I have the word MY capitalized because these technique reflect my game and are all high percentage for me. Your particular style and what fits for your may be different.

Hopefully they can help with some ideas and concepts to improve your grappling in some way. Especially with takedowns many people are going to have their own variations and the way they do things as this particular topic is extremely diverse.

One of the great things about making these videos as well is I expose my own technique and I get the chance to learn as well from others. So far with the technique I have been using in this video, these movements have been working extremely well for me. I know there are a lot of wrestlers and judo players out there so I'm open to criticism.

Jason Scully

P.S. PLEASE SUBSCRIBE to my YouTube Channel (http://www.youtube.com/jasculs) if you haven't yet. I'm hoping to reach 7,500 by mid February. Also please share this video with every grappler you know and if they haven't seen my others please share those too :-) Oh, and please press the like button at the end of the video if you liked it. Thanks
    Last edited by jasculs; 1/25/2012 9:23am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/25/2012 9:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know there are a lot of wrestlers and judo players out there so I'm open to criticism as well...I have other takedowns and options that I use as well that fit into this game but I either forgot to add or didn't becaus I didn't want the video to be too long. With all of the set-ups, gripping sequences, combinations, counters, defenses, etc... I probably could have made an hour reference video :-)

If you are a higher level wreslter or judo player and you have an particular tips and advice for me, please share if you have time. Jason

Posted On:
    1/25/2012 9:50am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jasculs View Post
    If you are a higher level wreslter or judo player and you have an particular tips and advice for me, please share if you have time. Jason
    Not a high level Judo player, by any stretch of the imagination, but we've discussed my suggestion for your O uchi in the gi over on sherdog.

For the benefit of anyone reading this who hasn't seen the sherdog thread here's what I said:

On the drop O uchi try not to lift your sleeve hand up in the air. Pull it downwards and slightly outwards, seems counter intuitive because you want to weight the ankle you're attacking, but lifting the sleeve hand up is not effective.

Some good examples in this video, particularly by the Japanese woman in blue. You'll not she never does a big upwards lifting of the sleeve either pins it in place or pressures it down.

Post 2:

No worries, you've probably already seen it, but this is the best drop O uchi video in English

First 4 minutes are standing O uchi last 4 are drop O uchi.

You're already doing most of the key things right like keeping your chest facing them, hooking the leg with your calf, t-ing up rather than attacking off centre etc... Just that little alteration on the use of the sleeve hand and you'll be away.

And here's the drop O uchi done off a single sleeve grip, pushed across the body

Note again the sleeve is pinned downwards into uke's hip

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/25/2012 10:54am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Judoka_uk...is there any particular reason why lifting the arm up of the opposite side may not be as effective if I'm dropping the arm of the attacking side. I'll definitely play around with it for sure to see how I feel.

Posted On:
    1/25/2012 11:07am

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jasculs. Don't suppose you are planning a holiday to Australia any time soon?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/25/2012 11:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    Jasculs. Don't suppose you are planning a holiday to Australia any time soon?
    I'm hoping to get there sometime this year...I've had 5 people from Australia (3 different parts so far) ask me if I was interested in going there to do a seminar and maybe teach some classes. Australia is my #1 place I've always wanted to visit so I'm hoping I can work something out. Where in Australia are you located?

Posted On:
    1/25/2012 11:16am

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm hoping to get there sometime this year...I've had 5 people from Australia (3 different parts so far) ask me if I was interested in going there to do a seminar and maybe teach some classes. Australia is my #1 place I've always wanted to visit so I'm hoping I can work something out. Where in Australia are you located?
    Airlie beach in the whitsundays. Sorry les specific. North queensland.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/25/2012 11:37am

Style: BJJ / Kyokushinkai Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @Gregaquaman: Damn, that looks so beautiful, I'm really jealous.

On the video, which is more important: We did a whole weekend playing with different takedowns and I must say, the easier the better. What you showed well in the video is that if something goes wrong, you must be able to string in something new. I am a big fan of sweeps.

Best move in the video (one that I use a lot now) is at 5:15, loving it (don't know the right wording, it sounds like Drop ippon something). Sorry.

Great video again, keep it up!

Posted On:
    1/25/2012 12:33pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On sasae (it sounds like sa-sigh), consider using a grip just under uke's elbow and driving up as you turn. Look at Muneta here:

It's also a very good opener for further combinations (osoto gari is a classic). I love sasae.

On ippon seoi nage, if you're athletic enough to pop back up from your knees after the drop, the version you do becomes absolutely devastating. (And, no, I can't do that!)
    Last edited by Res Judicata; 1/25/2012 12:36pm at .

Posted On:
    1/25/2012 3:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Judoka_uk...is there any particular reason why lifting the arm up of the opposite side may not be as effective if I'm dropping the arm of the attacking side. I'll definitely play around with it for sure to see how I feel.
    Sorry that kind of seemed like I was picking on you across the internet lol.

Several.

The most critical being it doesn't weight the rear of the heel that you want to attack. Lifting up the sleeve like that would theoretically see-saw them onto the side of their foot.

However, it doesn't in reality, because your elbow ends up so far away from your own body that you can't exert the power necessary to see-saw someone onto the side of their foot. As in BJJ you're taught to keep elbows in for more power in escaping. Its kind of the same thing.

You want your elbows relatively close to your own body when applying kuzushi for the throw.

Here's some examples of the sleeve hand action

If you want 'further reading' lol.

Here's my articles on kuzushi for backwards throws
    http://thedifficultway.blogspot.com/...ack-chest.html

and O uchi gari
    http://thedifficultway.blogspot.com/...uchi-gari.html
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast