Thread: Top 5, Bottom 5

Style
    Wushu, TKD, some BJJ/MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Top 5, Bottom 5

Hello fellow Bullshiders. I was wondering what people's opinions of the top 5 martial arts and bottom 5 martial arts are for combat effectiveness (not fitness, discipline or any of that, strictly for teaching you how to fight effectively). I'll start. Please feel free to critique and argue with my choices since I'm still fairly new to truly effective martial art.

Top 5:

BJJ
    Muay Thai
    Boxing
    Wrestling
    Jeet Kune Do

Bottom 5:

TKD
    Ninjitsu
    Capoeira
    Aikido
    Wing Chun

I realize some of the techniques in the bottom 5 can be used effectively in a fight, but I think that as far as those 5 are traditionally taught they impart useless skills to any fighter. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Cuindless; 2/11/2012 1:22pm at .

Style
    Aikido / FMA / Krotty
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome.

This thread needs to be moved out of newbietown to get any good. The rules in here are too tight for it to be fun.

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Style
    MMA and Luta Livre noob
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ignorami View Post
    Welcome.

This thread needs to be moved out of newbietown to get any good. The rules in here are too tight for it to be fun.
    I agree.

As long as this is in Newbietown, I'd say... replace JKD with Judo and you're good (within the frame you've set).

Style
    Aikido / FMA / Krotty
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, you go to some effort to specify "for combat effectiveness.", then go on to list 4 arts that don't use weapons, and one that has such a broad range of quality that it could fit in both lists.

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Style
    Wushu, TKD, some BJJ/MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where should I move it?

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you fucking kidding me? You need to clarify better this subject is just a headache waiting to happen....too late.

Style
    Wushu, TKD, some BJJ/MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not trying to cause a ruckus, Omega Supreme, and I'm sorry for giving you a headache. I thought the subject would be fun to talk about. For clarity, I'm asking which martial arts, in everyone's opinion, are the best for teaching actual self-defense and fighting techniques that would be effective in such situations as being attacked while walking down the street, being attacked in a bar or club or otherwise defending yourself or someone else.

After reading some more threads about JKD, I can see your point, Ignorami.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, dude, no ruckus here. Just wanted you to clarify whether you meant combative or sport.