Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/22/2012 11:04pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Critique my Judo ( Video)

After a break from Martial arts (Or any phisical activty) for most of winter I dusted off my gi and drove 5 hours with the Judo club to a tournament. Got 2nd in the 90kg and got steam rolled in the 100kg and open divisions. I figured I would dump the video's here and get some advice on some good areas to put a bit more focus on and hammer out and get to work on them. I am going to toss one up for tonight and try to get the others from my fellow judoka after practice tomorrow. And then put up some more up a few days after Feb 11's TN State Championship

Keep in mind I am in no way saying that I am good.(I actual suck at stand up) I look forward to y'alls advice.

Posted On:
    1/23/2012 5:52am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Which one are you? Bald one or the one with hair?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2012 6:53am

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Which one are you? Bald one or the one with hair?
    My bad! I am the one with Hair.

Posted On:
    1/26/2012 8:41am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You got the inside grip, which was good. However you spent far too much time wandering around with only one hand on.

Use your other hand to catch his other lapel and then he will grab your sleeve, then fold your hand over onto that sleeve. Explained fully here in the Kenka yotsu section:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=101064

If you're going to use the high collar grip your elbow must be down and forearm on uke's chest -

Notice how when you did throw your opponent at the end with the counter your elbow was down, forearm on his chest and thus you forced his head down.

This made his attack weak and ensured you had the control to counter, which you duly did.

Difficult to say more without knowing grade and training time etc...

Oh one more thing, don't walk straight at your opponent from the re-start/hajime. If you walk straight at someone as soon as you're within grabbing distance they will disappear under you with drop seoi.

Always circle when you start or restart

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/31/2012 12:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've a few points that might be useful to you, I'll only give a few because it's probably more useful to have that and be able to work on them than have loads and forget them.

1) Set your hand more firmly when you secure a lapel grip. Your elbow is bouncing up and down at the moment and that's no good, impose your grip on the other guy and move you body to maintain it.

2) Try not to bonce quite so much when you move. At the moment you are very up and down as you walk as you bring your feet quite close together. Keep them about shoulder width apart.

3) When you are fighting an abomination before god, excuse me, I mean a left handed player, you need to grip first. Get you right hand on their lapel before they get their hand on you then get a grip with your right hand on their lapel or sleeve asap.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    1/31/2012 11:50pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ive been very busy as of late so this will be quick. Stuff above great advice.

When you enter into uchimata if you would use a proper lapel grip and keep the elbow down when your base foot hits he should be moving not after but during the turn. Then when your leg rises it becomes the fulcrum and not the lever. Too many people do it incorrectly this is why at 1:58 you almost had your knee blown out.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.