Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/24/2012 11:55am

Style: Mixed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, I've heard of two martial arts that I'm thinking about learning once I get back from my trip. They are Krav Maga and Wing chun. Are they just flavors of the week or legitamate styles?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/24/2012 12:37pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude, seriously? Why don't you do a search on this site for both of those? You will find more bad than good.

Kata has its place. I wouldn't throw them out completely. But you need sparring with aliveness. That is the key ingredient. There is your secret martial art technique....shhhh...don't tell anyone.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/24/2012 3:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm still getting acquainted with this site.

Well I took your guys' advice. I'm thowing out all of those stupid guides, books, and magazines (especially the ones that claim to know about anatomy.), and headed to the MMA Gym. I think I'm really going to like MMA. Unlike Karate, it's simple yet effective. There are only a few blocks that work for everything, vs the 20 blocks to stop a simple jab.

Would it be worth my time to learn wrestling or should I just stick with learning the basic moves and experimenting with sparring?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/24/2012 3:25pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wrestling is definately good. You can't go wrong there. You will get a really good base and fit. That combined with your MT is a winning combination.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/24/2012 3:27pm

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nööb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan_or_L View Post
    I'm still getting acquainted with this site.

Well I took your guys' advice. I'm thowing out all of those stupid guides, books, and magazines (especially the ones that claim to know about anatomy.), and headed to the MMA Gym. I think I'm really going to like MMA. Unlike Karate, it's simple yet effective. There are only a few blocks that work for everything, vs the 20 blocks to stop a simple jab.

Would it be worth my time to learn wrestling or should I just stick with learning the basic moves and experimenting with sparring?
    Learn one art (wrestling, boxing, thaiboxing or judo, for example) and really dedicate your time to this one art.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/24/2012 3:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    cool. I'm glad I did this. Before I came on this site, I thought I knew everything. What an Idiot I've been. Thank you guys for putting me on the right path when it comes to martial arts.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    1/24/2012 6:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh hell no.

Thread moved to YMAS and retitled.
    Original title: "Evan's MAS"

I have to stop ignoring most of the Newbietown threads with boring titles.
    Last edited by Tom Kagan; 1/24/2012 6:14pm at .
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/24/2012 6:29pm

Style: BJJ, Boxing, Indian Clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wanted to refrain from saying it, but TS is an idiot. Wing Chun and Krav Maga?

Hey dumbass, take up boxing and Judo. You'll never, ever, ever have a problem with self defence if you take those. Believe it or not, self-defence isn't disarming opponents and eye jabs or other useless, over the top ****.

It's brains(life over property. A crip wants your wallet, hand it to them), footwork (aka running away), and not putting yourself in danger to begin with.

**** goes south, he's unarmed, and you can't help it?

and a super-secret knife defence:

Posted On:
    1/24/2012 6:40pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If knowing anatomy had anything to do with fighting most doctors would be walking death machines. I've run across many MA ads that would have you believe otherwise but it's all bullshit. As a person in the medical field this is one urban legend that just pisses me off. Your anatomy knowledge doesn't give you any leg up on those who know nothing. How much do you think Mike Tyson knows about anatomy? Training in a specific art will teach you all you need to know about anatomy, anything else is superfluous.

Also, the whole "you can't perform complicated techniques under pressure" is another load of BS you see in every buzz system ad in BB mag. They give the unknowledgeable reader the impression that training years and perfecting technique is useless because it won't work for real. For this argument to have any weight you must first define and give examples of these "complicated techniques".

These two examples alone prove how naive the OP must be to really buy into the hype.

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    1/24/2012 6:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    If knowing anatomy had anything to do with fighting most doctors would be walking death machines.
    But doctors are walking death machines.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast