Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/22/2012 5:52pm

Style: Mixed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Evan's MAS esta no mas.

Hello guys. My name is Evan (not that you really care but hey this is an intro after all.) I'm more of a scientist than a fighter. I kind of need your guy's help for the idea of a system. I don't really want to fight anyone, but to assume that a violent situation forces itself upon me, I would like to know how to react. Here is my experience, and why I think I don't know squat about real self defense.

1.) One month at an ATA TKD studio.
    2.) year and a half karate/arnis training (orange belt)
    3.)one week training at a police training camp.
    4.)most recently started training with a 2 professional MMA fighters.

(his record isn't good, but I'm not even at his level yet, so I can always learn the very basics. Their names are Matt Sredzinski and
    Matt Probin. Actually, if anyone knows about these guys, please let me know.)

Now knowing this, you know that I'm not a pro fighter, I've only dabbled in the basics of a few martial arts, and I'm that kind of nerd that reads books on Krav maga. Now I've watched videos on Youtube (red flag right?) and run through quite a few scenerios in my head and from what I can tell, True Krav Maga is what I should train in.

Now while the other is my physical experience (virtually non-existant) my mental experience (not worth much) is far more superior. I used to study criminology when I wanted to be a detective. I know criminal methodology, I know anatomy well, and I understand physics.

I'm going to list premises, or truths that I have gleaned from my research, and I want you guys to pick my philosophy apart until I know what I need to learn. I have a journey in six months and I need to know how to call upon some form of defense in case. I won't be able to carry a weapon.

Tell me if any of these ideas are false (acting under the assumption that I can't run away):

1.) To kill something, you must stop the function that allows it to live.

2.) The human body survives on oxygen and nutrients that travel to the brain.

3.) The eyes, solar plexus, and clavical can not be trained to be any stronger.

4.) the only way for blood (and subsequently oxygen and nutrients) can get to the brain is through two veins or arteries in the neck.

5.)Without training, the body will react automatically when trauma is inflicted to specific areas such as eyes, broken bones, solar plexus, or the face. (I would say the groin or female breasts, but drug use could stop that.)

6.) There are two types of Knock out. The first is a sensory overload and the second is a concussion.

7.) The spine is responsible for all movement.

8.)F=MA force is equal to mass times acceleration.

9.)Force inflicts more damage if the same force is sent through a smaller contact point. (A punch and elbow with the same force would cause differing damage due to the surface area able to take the blow.)

10.) Once a person starts going into shock, they have very little time to react.

11.)there are likely only 5 types of attacks somone can run into.

a.)bladed
    b.)Ballistic
    c.)Blunt
    d.)electric (taser)
    e.)chemical (pepper spray)

12.) It is always better to assume that a person has a hidden weapon.

13.)When a person enters fight or flight, Only simple motions can be remembered. Too many options will leave the brain to hesitate.

14.) temporary disablement of a vital system will either cause a knockout or death.

15.) if you are ever in a conflict where you are being attacked by multiple attackers with weapons, it is better to:

a.)stay out of the middle of the attackers.
    b.)attack the biggest threat first.

16.) It is better to assume that you are at a disadvantage from the getgo.

17.) It is better to find a weakness, exploit it, and keep attacking it and other weaknesses until the threat is over.

18.) I wouldn't fight unless it was completely neccessary.

Ok, so with those premises as the only things that I would ever assume, this is my own system of self defense.

I would use attacks from Muy thai when it comes to offensive techniques. They are simple and just easy enough to use at any distance. (that is kicks, knees, punches, elbows) add gouges.

Next, I would target only weak areas. I'm going to ignore joint locks, not because they are useless, but because they are complex and because fighting and flight doesn't leave any room for complexity. Joint abuses are okay kicking in knee is an example. Throws are only to be used to get someone off of me.

Finally defenses should only be used on weapons, or when you are close enough for an opponent to pull a hidden one. The areas that should be blocked when the opponent appears unarmed are the face, neck, and ribs. This is because these are the near instant kill areas.

The system will be a mix of mma, muy thai, and Krav maga.

So feel free to pick it apart. Keep in mind that my style is based on knowledge of anatomy, criminal success, the advice from the book of five rings, and a bunch of martial arts that may be useless. Please tell me if any of this doesn't make sense. This is a last resort martial arts that I need to train for before my two years abroad.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    1/22/2012 6:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    where are you going with this? im really not sure what you are asking. whether or not we think its a good system is irrelevant because we have zero idea how/what you are training. if you have no experience and are trying to mash together a bunch of different martial arts to protect you from attack when you are overseas, you're wasting your time. where exactly are you going anyway? spend your time researching those places and where NOT to go while there, and you will be far better served than your current idea.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/22/2012 7:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you for replying. I appreciate it. That's a very fair question. Basically what I'm asking is: Is there anything I said that was flat out wrong? I know how to attack properly, I know how to block properly, but that's about it. I guess I either want to confirm or deny what I know about anatomy/combat before I start training for it. What advice can you give me? Were any of my premesises wrong or lacking? I've never been in a real fight, and I don't intend to.

(real as in street real. I'm sparring with muy thai and wrestling now, but I'm talking about legitimate self defense.)

as for the actual place I'm going, I don't know until I get paperwork back. I've sent my resume and gotten my first interview.

Also, I researched Matt Sredzinski and Matt Probin before training with them. Their fitness program is no doubt effective, and I know that they did MMA but I guess I'm not sure what I should keep and get rid of.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    1/22/2012 8:01pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i wouldnt say any were wrong. i fail to see how most of them are at all relevant. if you are doing muay thai and wrestling now (if you are doing them properly that is) then i would say thats most bases covered. if you want to be real paranoid you could do some kind of kali/escrima and learn about knives etc, but in reality if someone wants to stab you with a knife there is probably **** all you are gonna do about it other than run.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/22/2012 8:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    that's all i really needed to know. Got any advice from the sport's side of fighting?

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    1/22/2012 8:16pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    try not to get punched in the face too hard.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/22/2012 8:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good advice. I appreciate that. Have you ever had a concussion from mma?

If I ever bring anything out into the forum that doesn't sound right, please call me out on it. I would rather hear this out here on the internet, than train wrong.

You said most of what I brought to light was irrelevent. I hope that you are right. I recently got a free demo from this site: http://www.targetfocustraining.com/defense-quiz/thanks. I'm testing to see if this is true. I don't intend on buying this series, but if what this guy is saying is true, then I might need to change my mindset on how I train.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    1/22/2012 8:49pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    why are you so obsessed about this stuff anyway? where are you planning on going? zaire? the congo?

no, never had a concussion, at worst a headache. my dads irish so i have extra padding in my head in place of unneeded brain tissue.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/22/2012 8:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had some death threats as a kid, and it made pretty paranoid. *shrugs* The odds of anything happening to me are virtually nil, but I have no idea what I'll run into when I travel, I figured I'd best be prepared for anything.

I'm a college kid, and another reason I ask these questions is because I want to get a military scholarship. To do this, I will have to enter any military program (and because I wanted to be an engineer) I figured I'd try to get the odds in my favor. I'm developing a type of body suit for spec ops. I figure if the enemy wants to kill, then it might be good to develop something to combat their combat.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2012 3:55am

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah, this is in...

Welcome to Bullshido. Good luck developing a body suit for special ops. I'm sure it will be a great success.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast