Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

Posted On:
    2/09/2012 5:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Tortelli View Post
    I've never denied that Nick is talented and works hard in the gym. But there's a difference in being a good fighter and being a good coach. Look at Mike Tyson. Awesome fighter, but would you pay him to teach you to box?

If you're independently wealthy or have a profitable second job (main Eventing in the UFC, for instance) you can run your gym however you want. But if it's your main source of income you better be ready to run programs for kids, out of shape people, women wanting to learn self defense, guys who walk in after viewing one episode of the Ultimate Fighter, etc. BECAUSE THERE ARE A LOT MORE OF THEM THAN THERE ARE PRO FIGHTERS. And I think Cesar Gracie would love to have a bank account like Randy Couture. So would every other guy running a fight gym.

Do you have even the foggiest idea what it takes to run a profitable gym?
    I don't teach or train for the money. I don't hold kids classes for the same reason. I'm not interested in babysitting for a kid who doesn't want to be there so his parents can pay me X amount to get the evening off for a few hours. If he wants to roll, he can come roll with everyone else when he's a teenager.

My instructor doesn't offer them either, although I can't speak to his reasons.

You seem to think that it's either McDojo or bust as far as opening a school, yet the majority of places I've trained get by with little or no students who are there for any other reason than to learn to fight, whether they compete or not.

And you're seriously retarded if, given the opportunity, you'd turn down privates with Mike Tyson. **** YES I'd want to learn everything I can from him. Also, what a shitty fucking analogy. You just compared a triathlete pot smoker to a guy who has a violent criminal history outside and inside of the ring.

You're throwing up more poor conclusions and straw men than I have matches for. But to answer your question, it would appear from your language that I know a great deal more about what it takes to run a gym than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    2/09/2012 5:53pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

...Nick just tested positive for it.

Posted On:
    2/09/2012 7:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Agree with Tortelli. High level fighter or not, Diaz doesn't strike me as the kind of person who'd be especially good at teaching people, if he'd even be interested in doing so.

Posted On:
    2/09/2012 8:17pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What a dumbass. I was going to say, how stupid do you have to be, but I guess this answers it. You have to be THIS stupid. Could he really not go ten days without a joint? The ten days before the biggest, most important fight of his career? This guy needs to be in a therapist's office, not a cage. On the plus side, him losing is probably the easiest resolution to this situation. Just imagine the mess they'd have had on their hands if he would have won and then tested positive.

I think weed is absolutely punished too harshly in the US. But until it's changed, that's the rule. You break it and you pay the price. Diaz acting like the rules don't apply to him was bound to blow up in his face sooner or later.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2012 12:42am

Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never denied that Nick is talented and works hard in the gym. But there's a difference in being a good fighter and being a good coach. Look at Mike Tyson. Awesome fighter, but would you pay him to teach you to box?

If you're independently wealthy or have a profitable second job (main Eventing in the UFC, for instance) you can run your gym however you want. But if it's your main source of income you better be ready to run programs for kids, out of shape people, women wanting to learn self defense, guys who walk in after viewing one episode of the Ultimate Fighter, etc. BECAUSE THERE ARE A LOT MORE OF THEM THAN THERE ARE PRO FIGHTERS. And I think Cesar Gracie would love to have a bank account like Randy Couture. So would every other guy running a fight gym.

Do you have even the foggiest idea what it takes to run a profitable gym?
    I definitely would love having Mike Tyson as my personal coach. Nobody knows more about the peek-a-boo style of boxing, except maybe Kevin Rooney.

Also, Mike is a historian. He's watched more tapes of vintage boxing matches than most. His study of tapes helped him hone his Dempsey rolls.

Finally, I've seen Mike train amateur boxers. He's pretty patient with students, and takes the time to really explain the intricacies of the sweet science.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2012 5:00pm

Style: Working out

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Smoking weed shouldnt be punished anymore

:)

Posted On:
    2/13/2012 11:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hells yes, I'd want to learn boxing from someone like Tyson. Same with Diaz, he's a fuckin beast. A bjj black belt, and one of the top professional mma fighters at his weight, in the entire world. You'd have to be simple to pass that up for whatever Missisip. has locally. If someone's looking for a babysitter in the evenings, no Nick Diaz's gym might not be the answer, but it doesn't all revolve around kids, even if that can be lucrative for some.

A successful gym requires students, but what kind? That differs, depending on where you are, what your goals are, and what the population density is, and a bunch of other factors. Redline, and WaiKru in Boston are both chock full of fighters, and grown-ass adults that are learning to fight, and train as if to compete, whether they do or not.

It's not all about child-minding for overstressed parents. Some people wish to learn to actually fight, and want to be pushed by someone who pushes themselves to the limit. You've done triathlons lately? Nick does them, and that's a pretty good sign, that the guy is serious about training.

bollocky schools that don't have that serious component, and who only cater to kids and the fat/out-of-shape aren't what drive the development of martial arts, thank the gods. I'd rather be around a Diaz-style gym, than the other extreme.

When Cus was alive, Mike Tyson was the ****. Don't let his later years fool you, the man knows boxing extremely well. He is a student of the sport, regardless of what happened to his training regimen when he bought his own hype for a while, and slacked.

Posted On:
    2/14/2012 4:18am

Style: Sub-Grap/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devilboy7778 View Post
    Smoking weed shouldnt be punished anymore
    That's not really the issue. Diaz knows it's a banned substance all he has to do is not smoke/ingest it.

I cant help but think Cesar Gracie is not exactly the best mentor for someone like Nick.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/14/2012 12:18pm

Style: Working out

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kambei Shimada View Post
    That's not really the issue. Diaz knows it's a banned substance all he has to do is not smoke/ingest it.

I cant help but think Cesar Gracie is not exactly the best mentor for someone like Nick.
    I think that it is a problem though, the punishment for it is staggering. Fights have been over turned, fights have been stopped because of it. But, if someone loses while tested for something like crack or weed, its still a win for the other guy; I don't get it.

Posted On:
    2/14/2012 12:31pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devilboy7778 View Post
    I think that it is a problem though, the punishment for it is staggering. Fights have been over turned, fights have been stopped because of it. But, if someone loses while tested for something like crack or weed, its still a win for the other guy; I don't get it.
    Maybe because the other guy wasn't on an illegal substance? The issue here isn't whether or not weed should be legal. I'm with you on that. Fact of the matter is that it is still illegal in many places in the US, Nevada being one of them. When you sign that contract, you agree to abide by those rules, period. Why should the dude who held to his contract and won the fight be penalized?