Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

Posted On:
    2/07/2012 1:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanniballistic View Post
    I never said they were - although if you stay in front of someone to prove a point and lose you are lacking in one of the aforementioned departments

Look, I think this is as much about personal preference as anything else. I see Condit fighting a smart gameplan against a tough puncher and groundfighter - you see it differently clearly, but the fact remains Diaz was not good enough to close him down either. He is so used to people fighting his game he gets his panties in a twist when things don't go according to his perception of a "real fighter".
    I never suggested that Diaz shouldn't shoulder blame. Because he entertains me doesn't mean I'm a fanboy or that he gets a pass for not changing anything for 25 minutes of ineffectual fighting.

That said, gaming a scorecard to win a fight is beyond the point of the entire bout. I'm not interested in scoring, and the judges are only there to decide a contest that couldn't be decided another way. Using them and the criteria to which they adhere to win a contest rather than compete in a bout is the exact opposite of my view on prize fighting. I know I'm not the only one who sees it that way, including many fighters I know and train with.

Fight for the fans, fight for the beauty, fight for yourself, and fight for the fight. Don't fucking fight for the record.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/07/2012 1:56pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabetuno View Post
    I never suggested that Diaz shouldn't shoulder blame. Because he entertains me doesn't mean I'm a fanboy or that he gets a pass for not changing anything for 25 minutes of ineffectual fighting.

That said, gaming a scorecard to win a fight is beyond the point of the entire bout. I'm not interested in scoring, and the judges are only there to decide a contest that couldn't be decided another way. Using them and the criteria to which they adhere to win a contest rather than compete in a bout is the exact opposite of my view on prize fighting. I know I'm not the only one who sees it that way, including many fighters I know and train with.

Fight for the fans, fight for the beauty, fight for yourself, and fight for the fight. Don't fucking fight for the record.
    I rewatched the fight last night. Condit only disengaged when Nick tried to play his game. He was willing to fight when he was at his optimal angle and range. Choosing not to fight somebody's fight is not playing the score card. Look at Chuck Liddell. Are we going to blame him for not wanting to go to the ground most of his fights?

:)

Posted On:
    2/07/2012 2:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabetuno View Post
    To be clear, I'm not saying it's easy to knock anyone on this list down or out, but at high-level champion-contention fights, as a fan I expect to see both fighters pushing each other to the limit of something other than cardio.
    THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Part of my soul dies, when I see fights where someone's piddling around.

Also, lol toughman, that's exactly what these things are, with modified rules. I don't watch it for the dancing, I can get that from dancers, if I feel compelled. The UFC is a PPV giant. To feed that demands excitement and spectacle, not zzzzzzzzzzz.

Would anyone rather have seen Cain and JDS dance for 25 minutes? Brock and Overeem pulling a Kimbo/Alexander? Every fight a Severn/Shamrock 2?

Diaz is one of my absolute favorites. Joe Calzaghe in boxing, same thing. Always move to finish, and engage the opponent. Have the conditioning to be fierce the whole fight, and then do just that.

That's what I watch the sport for. Same thing for K1. If they're not trying to finish, I'm tuning out emotionally. Brock/Alistair, Can/JDS, fights like these are the best. Go at it.

Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

Posted On:
    2/07/2012 2:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    I rewatched the fight last night. Condit only disengaged when Nick tried to play his game. He was willing to fight when he was at his optimal angle and range. Choosing not to fight somebody's fight is not playing the score card. Look at Chuck Liddell. Are we going to blame him for not wanting to go to the ground most of his fights?
    I'll watch it again tonight. I doubt I'll feel differently, though, as what I saw the first time was engagement for the sake of activity rather than efficacy. Or a few times, striking to buy himself time to back out of a corner.

I don't think Condit should be blamed for not playing someones game. Just for not trying to do what he does:

----Last 10 fights ----

9-1, 7 finishes, with on one other decision win besides this one. And if I remember correctly, Ellenberger vs. Condit was the total opposite of this fight, with both guys constantly trying to finish the other and coming damn close a few times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    2/07/2012 2:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No but Liddell knocked fuckers out and landed huge shots consistently, And when Liddell hurt someone he went in for the kill.

Carlos hit some combos and then backed away, it was weird.

:)

Posted On:
    2/07/2012 2:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://bleacherreport.com/tb/bdS3s?u...m_campaign=mma
    Gracie said that the judges' scoring might have been personal rather than unbiased.

"I don't think the judges like Nick," he said. "He comes off, he talks in the ring… Carlos was running at one point, and Nick slapped him in the face said, 'Quit running.' We were there for a dogfight. Carlos said he’d provide for the fans a dogfight, a great fight where they were going to go at it. That was not a dogfight. It takes two to make a dogfight. One guy running away is not a dogfight.

"I don't know what the judges were looking at," he continued. "They’ve never liked Nick in Vegas. They've never voted for him in a decision. The only one was the BJ Penn fight, and he almost had to kill BJ to get that one. I don't think they like his attitude, a guy that's going to go out there and talk. I think they think he's disrespectful. They're going to find a reason to judge against him. I don't think he can get fair judging in that state at all."

Posted On:
    2/07/2012 2:33pm

Style: Kyokushin Karate / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - Joe View Post
    No but Liddell knocked fuckers out and landed huge shots consistently, And when Liddell hurt someone he went in for the kill.

But in all fairness Nick is one of the toughest mother fuckers in the sport. So hitting Nick hard, unless he stumbles, I wouldn't 'chasing' him down either.

I also would gas myself like so many others have done, TRYING to put him away. This to me is a no brainer, Nick is an amazing fighter who's hard to put away and he's proven it time and time again in the cage. Condit and his coached would have been retarded / blind and stupid to not know this.

I have no doubt that if Condit caught Nick and had him on the ropes that he would have gone in for the kill.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/07/2012 2:53pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Awwwww, and how many fights have we seen go toe to toe and somebody didn't get knocked out. This one is a failed logic. Most people don't like counter fights, but they're fun when they get finished. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it was a bad fight. Now give me (what day is it?) oh 7 push ups. (You *****)

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    2/07/2012 3:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awwwww, and how many fights have we seen go toe to toe and somebody didn't get knocked out. This one is a failed logic. Most people don't like counter fights, but they're fun when they get finished. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it was a bad fight. Now give me (what day is it?) oh 7 push ups. (You *****)
    I enjoyed the fight

but things like this

Where he hit Carlos with a good Combo and backed up is something Chuck wouldn't have done.

It's also why Rich Franklin knocked Chuck out, but it's still why Chuck is the fucking man.

Anyways I am going to the gym so you'll get your pushups and then some.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/07/2012 3:11pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I enjoyed the fight

but things like this

Where he hit Carlos with a good Combo and backed up is something Chuck wouldn't have done.

It's also why Rich Franklin knocked Chuck out, but it's still why Chuck is the fucking man.

Anyways I am going to the gym so you'll get your pushups and then some.
    Um...what? Carlos was doing the hitting there.
Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51112131415 16171819 ... LastLast