Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 10 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/30/2012 10:36am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I see a lot of people dissing Sonnen for his performance against Bisping, but I agree with the earlier comments about Bisping looking very good and on his game. His strikes were put together very well and he seemed to be getting the better of every exchange, Sonnen was able to do little in the fight until the 3rd round. Bisping also looked huge. Which might have explained his cardio failing in the 3rd (or it could have been being between sonnen and the cage).

In Pride scoring i could see how Sonnen won. After 2 rounds he was able to finally impose his will and position, and had it gone 2 more rounds I'm sure there would have been an increasingly one sided affair, because Bisping looked wiped out. However, in the 10 point must system I don't see how Sonnen won that fight. if anything a split nod towards bisping or a draw.

However... it's really Michael Bisping's fault for letting it go to the judges scorecards.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/30/2012 10:57am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also: it seems that dirty boxing works well against Sonnen.

:)

Posted On:
    1/30/2012 10:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawarma View Post
    I merely said that with as strong a wrestling pedigree as Sonnen has, outwrestling a MT/BJJ player is hardly an earth-shattering surprise, steroids or not.
    Actually, what Sonnen did was a pretty earth-shattering surprise (not to be Contrarian or anything). For arguably the greatest mma fighter still in his prime, in the world, to be outclassed for 4 rounds is pretty heavy-duty.

Someone doing it without performance enhancing cheating would be amazing, and I'd possibly be a fan of Sonnen, after that, in spite of his nasal, whining style of IRL trolling.

As it was, he did very very well, was quite dominant, and then couldn't seal the deal, and finish it. Then it comes out that he was pumped up, bigtime. Seriously bigtime, against the established rules (4x the amount permitted for fighters (4-1), and almost 17x a normal man's Test. level).

That means something, else they wouldn't give a **** about it. If you're gonna go all Overroids, in spite of never having failed a test (he's been fighting professionally since 1999), at least shout out a Sonnesterone, or Cheat Sonnen quip or something, else the int3rnets will implode from irony. Brock had wrestling credentials that seem to get everyone off, yet the MT/Bjj player that is Overeem tooled him, like he was a 110 lb Japanese tv interviewer.

I love some Josh Barnett, but the fights he cheated for, aren't the ones I give him props for, or base my esteem for him on.

If Sonnen beats Silva abiding by the rules, I'll go out and pay for a Sonnen shirt...wear it at a gig, and film me singing a song of tribute to his greatness, and post it here.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/31/2012 4:27pm

Style: Combatives, SAMBO,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ippwned View Post
    Sonnen will have to do better against Silva, because his performance against Bisping was not impressive in the slightest and is no where near good enough to beat Silva.
    I agree with you completely. Chael didn't look very good in my opinion. He has to fight way better than what he did in order to compete with Silva

Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

Posted On:
    1/31/2012 10:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Consistency has always been his Achilles heel. Look at the people he's lost to:

Jeremy Horn (three fucking times)

A young and inexperienced Forrest Griffin

Terry Martin

Trevor Prangley

More recenty Babalou and Paulo Filho.

He wins a lot, then he loses a lot. Lately he's been winning more, but he seems to be the kind of guy who constantly has trouble realizing his potential.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/01/2012 9:52am

Style: Keyboard Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabetuno View Post
    He wins a lot, then he loses a lot. Lately he's been winning more, but he seems to be the kind of guy who constantly has trouble realizing his potential.
    Except that recent arm-triangle finish over Brian Stann, vast majority of wins were decisions. I can only assume he is working on his submission defense.

I am wondering if Joe Rogan is right and fans are under-estimating Michael Bisping. Chael wasn't able to do much after takedowns and got out-struck until he got on top far enough away from the cage to keep him down.

:)

Posted On:
    2/01/2012 11:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJ View Post
    I am wondering if Joe Rogan is right and fans are under-estimating Michael Bisping.
    I admire Bisping and Sonnen's fighting ability. Brock Lesnar was a huge waste of talent, and a bad demeanor, and so an easy target...but these guys have skillz.

Their poor sportsmanship counts against them, but they are good at what they do (when they're not fucking around, screwing up).

Sonnen was impressive against Stann, who is a dangerous dude. This last one?

I don't count the Anderson fight at all, regarding his skills, b/c he was massively juiced. I'd be shocked if he beats Silva this time. More than shocked...I'll write him a song.

On hiatus

Posted On:
    2/02/2012 6:37am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ahem, Brian Stann is overrated. Compare his latest fights to those of Tito Ortiz.

Same pattern really.
    Last edited by Tranquil Suit; 2/02/2012 6:44am at .

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/02/2012 6:46am

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nööb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pturner1 View Post
    Crazy, another correct undisputed 3 fight prediction ( ) I'm gonna have to start putting down money on these fights lol. I think they're like 5/6 on predictions.
    Has this been posted by the way?

Posted On:
    2/02/2012 7:47am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sonnen was impressive against Stann, who is a dangerous dude.
    Dangerous on the feet, anyway. He has zero ground game and he couldn't have been more of a stylistic gift if they stuck a bow on his head. I don't really rate that much as a win, because it would have been harder for him to lose that one.
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 10 LastLast