• Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/21/2012 11:44am

Business Class Supporting Member
     New York MMA Examiner Style: magic FUCKING powers!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Let's talk fight scenes- Haywire

So, a week ago I wrote a review of Gina Carano's dumb action movie that made no sense*, but now that it's out I wanted to talk details with some of my movie nerds over at BS.

*Here it is, if you're interested- http://www.thefightnerd.com/movie-review-haywire/

So, as you can deduce the plot makes no sense, the movie is terribly paced, but, like the star, I'm forced to admit its very pretty.

The saving grace of the movie which I admit was awesome were two fight scenes that Carano had, one with Channing Tatum and one with Michael Fassbender.

For those who have seen the movie, or at least watched the fight scenes on hulu and other places where they are available, I feel these had a lot of what's missing from most main stream action movie fight scenes.

The tempo goes from suspense building to violence so abruptly that it could startle even the most jaded viewer. The use of sustained shots with a few choice cuts adds to the feeling of chaos while still letting the audience see everything that is going on. I think they should be taught in film school.

I know we have a lot of action choreography nerds on the site, so I was wondering if I was on the money on this one or just having a stroke.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/21/2012 12:04pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On the original review, I quibble thusly:

It would be cynical to call the random series of events that follows the premise a “plot.”
    "Cynical" is not the word you meant. Possibly "charitable?"
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/21/2012 1:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanda Claws View Post
    On the original review, I quibble thusly:

"Cynical" is not the word you meant. Possibly "charitable?"
    I said what I meant and I meant what I said. The meaning being that to define it as a plot would give up on the hopes of a real plot being produced in an action movie. It's a commonly used version of the phrase, though off the top of my head the only other time someone used it that way I can think of was in Batman Begins.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/21/2012 2:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will end up going to see Haywire because my wife loves tough-chick flicks.
    There are worse ways to spend an evening.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/21/2012 3:27pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampa View Post
    I said what I meant and I meant what I said. The meaning being that to define it as a plot would give up on the hopes of a real plot being produced in an action movie. It's a commonly used version of the phrase, though off the top of my head the only other time someone used it that way I can think of was in Batman Begins.
    I'm not sure a usage's commonality is a good indicator of its applicability (see: "ironic"). Your explanation makes some sense, but without that addition, my assumption would have been that the theoretical cynic looked over the seemingly unrelated movie scenes, and derisively deemed them a plot. This being incomprehensible, I supposed you had inadvertently used a different word than you wanted.

Whatevs, no need to get the thread split, I'll just let my observation stand.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/21/2012 4:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanda Claws View Post
    I'm not sure a usage's commonality is a good indicator of its applicability (see: "ironic"). Your explanation makes some sense, but without that addition, my assumption would have been that the theoretical cynic looked over the seemingly unrelated movie scenes, and derisively deemed them a plot. This being incomprehensible, I supposed you had inadvertently used a different word than you wanted.

Whatevs, no need to get the thread split, I'll just let my observation stand.
    Perhaps that is best. I've been writing and studying rhetoric for a very long time. I could talk to you until your face melted off about word choice. And would happily do so since I'm spending the afternoon procrastinating on a book review.

But I was hoping to actually talk about fight filming. I guess McClaw is on vacation.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    1/21/2012 7:25pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lampa View Post
    Perhaps that is best. I've been writing and studying rhetoric for a very long time. I could talk to you until your face melted off about word choice. And would happily do so since I'm spending the afternoon procrastinating on a book review.

But I was hoping to actually talk about fight filming. I guess McClaw is on vacation.
    It's cool, I'm back now.
    I watched the opening scene from the hulu trailer, and yeah, it's pretty damn badass. And my favorite part, it's aware of the cliches of the genre.
    In particular, there's the whole tradition of when a fight scene breaks out, everyone else in the room waits and watches politely. I am racking my brain, and I cannot think of another fight where a random bystander ran to the hero's aid in a fight. That right there was pure awesomeness. That, and taken a character out of the background and into the foreground is something that I've always wanted to see more of; like if all of a sudden, one of the Star Wars films started following an Imperial Stormtrooper and told the tale from his perspective.
    From a raw choreography aspect, I am always looking out for those little stunts that make you go "yeah, that thing that just happened, that was really cool." In this case, that would be Carano's armbar-omoplata-gun disarm sequence. That, and the bad guy's coffee cup sucker punch.
    You mentioned the sound affects in your review, and they really, really played well into it. I think the combination of the lack of dramatic background noise, the lack of music, and the lack of jumpcuts all contributed to it having a very high tension throughout the fight. Almost like the tension in the duels in the old samurai films, but not quite.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/22/2012 1:35am

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So how many cool submissions scenes are there? Wondering if I should bother going to see this movie.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/22/2012 1:49am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    It's cool, I'm back now.
    I watched the opening scene from the hulu trailer, and yeah, it's pretty damn badass. And my favorite part, it's aware of the cliches of the genre.
    In particular, there's the whole tradition of when a fight scene breaks out, everyone else in the room waits and watches politely. I am racking my brain, and I cannot think of another fight where a random bystander ran to the hero's aid in a fight. That right there was pure awesomeness. That, and taken a character out of the background and into the foreground is something that I've always wanted to see more of; like if all of a sudden, one of the Star Wars films started following an Imperial Stormtrooper and told the tale from his perspective.
    From a raw choreography aspect, I am always looking out for those little stunts that make you go "yeah, that thing that just happened, that was really cool." In this case, that would be Carano's armbar-omoplata-gun disarm sequence. That, and the bad guy's coffee cup sucker punch.
    You mentioned the sound affects in your review, and they really, really played well into it. I think the combination of the lack of dramatic background noise, the lack of music, and the lack of jumpcuts all contributed to it having a very high tension throughout the fight. Almost like the tension in the duels in the old samurai films, but not quite.
    It's almost worth sitting through the rest of the movie just to catch the other fight with Fassbender. It lacks that sudden start feeling the opening fight scene has, but the way it traverses space from room to room is something worth noting. Also the sexualization of the scene is two parts powerful and one part disturbing.

The most amazing thing about the movie is that after act one even the fight scenes, brilliant up until that point, get retarded. The final one was so lack-luster I was wondering if I was watching the same movie.

But, yeah, these are camera and sound mixing techniques that need to be implemented into better scripts.

Posted On:
    1/27/2012 5:25pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know it's almost a sacred duty for me, but I generally avoid watching movies like this because I've been burned too many times.

I'm looking at you, Bas Rutten.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast