Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/21/2012 10:46am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Incorporating kicks into boxing stance

I've always wanted to add kicks into my arsenal and today I finally managed to convince a friend of mine to teach me how to do the front-push kick (a teep I think it was called?) and the classic muay thai roundhouse. I want to incorporate it into my peek-a-boo stance but am currently having some problems. My coach said that the traditional boxing stance actually hinders my ability to kick properly.

Is that true and if so, what are some minor adjustments I can make to my stance that won't alter my boxing game?

For the record, I am trying to continue western boxing and go into more amateur competitions. I am only learning kicks for the fun of it, becoming more rounded for self defense and for interstyle weekends (not sanctioned MMA competitions...just peeps from gyms in the same suburb sparring together for a weekend lol). That and I don't have time to learn muay thai and all its stance/footwork.

Thanks.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/21/2012 10:47am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Btw, sorry if I sound like I am kind of dissing muay thai- but really, I am not. I really really don't have the time and money between a 50 hour job, my girlfriend and paying off mortgage. I WOULD LOVE TO LEARN ONE DAY THOUGH

Posted On:
    1/21/2012 11:13am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you only want to learn kicks for the fun of it but have boxing competition aspirations it would be pretty silly to modify your stance.

Maybe save the kicks for when you can learn them from a real coach and have enough time to learn the mechanics properly?
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Posted On:
    1/21/2012 11:52am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If they can incorporate kicks in the low MMA stance, you can too. you will need flexability though. Just learn how to kick properly and try adding some to your bag work, you will learn how to add some kicks with time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/21/2012 12:11pm

Style: Jiu-jitsu & HEMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As to how you modify your stance: do you turn your lead foot or point it? A lot of boxer's present themselves more in profile than a kickboxer would & that can both make you vulnerable to kicks & make it harder fro you to throw certain kicks. If you look at MMA you see a much squarer stance being used than what's common in boxing. That's because of the demands of wrestling & kicking. Also, if you fight from a deep crouch it may be difficult to extend yourself quickly into good kicking postures & there are details of weight distribution that vary from boxing to kickboxing styles.

Posted On:
    1/21/2012 12:29pm

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The stance shouldn't matter because it is changed constantly! Presenting a narrow profile is done also in TKD and Karate and these guys kick nicely. If you know how to kick you will find those little changes in your stance (while leaning backwards for example to avoid a punch) sufficient to throw a simple kick.
    You just need to practice, and your body will find the angles that works for him.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/21/2012 6:12pm

Style: lazy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What do you mean by traditional boxing stance?

Posted On:
    1/21/2012 8:23pm

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So very much like the older style of kickboxer.

Eg. Stan the man.

You need to pop up a bit straighter just before you kick. Hence big legs on most of these guys.