Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/21/2012 6:16am

Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Joel Diaz vs. Guy Robb: Bomb after Bomb after Bomb

So far, this month in boxing has been boring. That is, until tonight. On the undercard of Rigondeaux-Ramos, Showtime decided to book some last minute replacements.

These replacements, as it turns out, did their all to make an impression.

Both charged out during the first round throwing angry blows at each other. It was only a matter of time before someone was going to get knocked down. It was Diaz who fell first in the 2nd round.

In the 3rd round, it was Robb's turn to get knocked down — which happened twice. At this point, I thought this fight was going to be all Diaz. I was wrong.

Springing like a panther during the 4th round, Robb planted bomb after bomb after bomb upon Diaz. He hit the body, the head — everywhere he could find spare flesh.

From this point onwards, it was a war of attrition to see who would get stopped. Indeed, the fight did get stopped, but before it did, the toe to toe battle continued until the bitter end.

Posted On:
    1/21/2012 6:20pm

Style: BJJ, Judo, SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I watched this fight last night and I was blown away that Diaz had never gone anywhere near the distance. He is 19 but was relentless. That said, Robb is a beast. He nearly put Diaz away several times. People who say boxing is dead are foolish. I can't wait to see where these guys go from here.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/21/2012 11:45pm

Style: Youtube-do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The best boxing show on TV was canceled a a year or two ago.

Solo Boxeo on KVDA a Spanish language station would scourer the country covering barely Pro fights and deliver them fresh to your TV for free.
    Some of the best fights I ever saw for free chilling with my Dad and watching Boxing.
    The kind of Boxing where the guy still works forty hours a week and fights on the weekend.

It was all heart these guys left it all in the ring. Imagine NBA Basketball Vs. NCAA March Madness. That much more badass. That much.

The show has since been canceled and now they show MMA, which is cool but my Dad doesn't know what the **** is going on.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/22/2012 12:19am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beak The Halls View Post
    The best boxing show on TV was canceled a a year or two ago.

Solo Boxeo on KVDA a Spanish language station would scourer the country covering barely Pro fights and deliver them fresh to your TV for free.
    Some of the best fights I ever saw for free chilling with my Dad and watching Boxing.
    The kind of Boxing where the guy still works forty hours a week and fights on the weekend.

It was all heart these guys left it all in the ring. Imagine NBA Basketball Vs. NCAA March Madness. That much more badass. That much.

The show has since been canceled and now they show MMA, which is cool but my Dad doesn't know what the **** is going on.
    Is this the same show as Solo Boxeo Tecate? That show is still being broadcast and has some great fights. You'll see hot young prospects battle gritty vets — and quite a few upsets happen.

Either way, boxing coverage is pretty good on Spanish TV networks. I believe all the main networks (Telemundo, Telefutura, TV Azteca) have dedicated shows.

Now if only boxing would return to English speaking networks.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk
    Last edited by atomicpoet; 1/22/2012 12:34am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/22/2012 1:24am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my area at least, which is heavily Hispanic, the old time slot for Solo Boxeo Tecate was replaced with MMA show with the same format. I only say it was canceled because I remember watching the farewell show where both announcers sign off for good. If it has since been resurrected as Solo Boxeo Tecate (I knew there was a reason it was my preferred beer) I will be at my dads next Friday with some grilling meat ready to go.

And Atomic Poet if you like Blow for Blow fights look up a classic that was played on Solo Boxeo. I can't remember it exactly but the fight went twelve rounds and a guy named Mataguwa(sp?) I think won by KO even as he could barely stand.
    Here is some Solo Boxeo action: Matagwa fight I was talking about @5:34

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/22/2012 1:31am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here we go:

It seems I had the spelling wrong.
    Last edited by The_Beak; 1/22/2012 1:37am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/22/2012 2:27am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know, I was just watching Solo Boxeo Tecate tonight. They had David Quijano vs. Javier Gallo. It was a toe-to-to slugfest your father would probably dig. Incidentally, this was the first of the "San Juan fight nights" they'll be broadcasting occasionally this year.

There's not enough good things that can be said about that show. They always show the glorious blood and guts matches.

By far, my favourite Solo Boxeo mainstay is Jorge Arce. He's a tough as nails Mexican firecracker who always goes for the kill. Badass as they come.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/27/2012 10:02am

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its been a while since I heard Al Bernstein's voice. I was wondering where he had disappeared to.
    Premature stoppage IMO.
    Last edited by OZZ; 1/27/2012 10:35am at .
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/27/2012 7:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It was premature. Robb deserved the benefit of the doubt for a few more seconds before the fight was stopped.

That said, he wasn't complaining about the stoppage — so maybe he really didn't have any more gas in the tank.