Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/22/2012 8:19pm

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    haha, I'm 5'8" and 92 kgs (202lbs), for an obesely 31! Even at my leanest (the year I qualified for the nationals in the 100m) I had a BMI of 29.
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/22/2012 9:12pm

Style: Muay-Thai, Hapkido, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My BMI is 21... (6'5" 175lbs) I'm working on increasing that number...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/22/2012 10:14pm

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    5'7" and about 195lb. BMI of 30.5 - obese. Now I admit I could lose 10 or 15lb, I'm far from obese. Even when I was in my best shape (about 178lb and under 15% body fat) I was in the Overweight column.

When I was taking a Fitness Trainer course a few years ago, to mess with us the instructor had us all calculate our BMI. Once he saw enough of us go pale and try to recalculate over and over again he asked "OK, now who is completely freaking out?" After that he explained how inapplicable BMI is for people with lots of lean muscle mass, and taught us how to use the fat calipers.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2012 12:49pm

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I currently have a bmi of 23-24 and I look WAY to skinny. I am 6foot tall and around 80 kilos. Some people have even asked if I am alright.. meaning if I have somekind of eating disorder.. it doesn't feel good man.

I was about to make a thread about this subject.. I would like to know what you guys think is a male body should look/be like.

I personally don't see a problem if the body is capable, healthy and happy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2012 1:42pm

Style: French Smallsword

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Insurance companies aren't stupid and they want your business. Once they find out you, a healthy person who just exercises a ton and has a low body fat index but high BMI due to muscle mass is shopping around for a company that isn't using BMI or offering you a better rate you'll see that price drop.

BMI is garbage and everyone knows it. Its just that its an easy calculation so it still sticks around.

Posted On:
    1/23/2012 1:55pm

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uglybugly View Post
    I currently have a bmi of 23-24 and I look WAY to skinny. I am 6foot tall and around 80 kilos. Some people have even asked if I am alright.. meaning if I have somekind of eating disorder.. it doesn't feel good man.

I was about to make a thread about this subject.. I would like to know what you guys think is a male body should look/be like.

I personally don't see a problem if the body is capable, healthy and happy.

I think you should be functionally fit. That being a persone who can do pushups, pull ups, and still do cardio. The look should be what ever you look like while being able to do those things. Of course this is my own opinion.

But I always like how you can walk into a gym and see all the big guys on treadmills trying to get smaller, and all the smaller guys on the bench trying to get bigger. They care nothing about functionallity. It's all about the look.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/26/2012 11:10am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ha!!! BMI: 37.8. I've recently been 20 rep squatting 355lbs, and benching 320 for 8 reps...

I have less of a gut than my taller, older brother, who is in the 'healthy' range. He's a wimp. Somehow he's the one with cancer...

( I'm not saying that I'm not over-fat, either )

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/26/2012 11:23am

Style: BJJ / Kyokushinkai Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Isn't it funny that the healthier and more trained you get, the more your BMI shifts towards negative?

Example: I'm 6'1" and just did the BMI calc (only have that in KGs, sorry) and it's just below fat. Now I train 3-5 times a week, sometimes do Cardio in the morning and MA in the evenings. I've never been fitter in my life and feel great.

When I did my insurance papers I was creating a project, had not done sports or anything for five years, was smoking two packs a day, drinking nearly daily (and a lot, at official events for the industry) and my BMI was PERFECT.

Talk about how great that tool is ;) ---> Everyone who believes in that is indeed A TOOL.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    1/30/2012 6:21pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    6' 3" 300lbs even BMI: 37.5

Am I overweight, sure, but my doctor has told me I would be hard pressed to drop below 250. Let's redo the math... at 250lbs BMI 31.2

I play Judo, and SAMBO irregularly, lift, and run. I don't feel, or look fabulous, but I'm not a sphere.

Gotta love a standard that was developed 150+ years ago still being applicable.
    I do not aspire to be great, or even good, I hope to suck a little less then last class.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    1/30/2012 6:36pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At 175 and 5'10" my BMI was 25.1 which is at the bottom end of overweight.

For over twenty years, from 20-42, I weighed 175 and had about 8% body fat. I never knew I was overweight at the same time.
    Shut the hell up and train.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast