Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    1/20/2012 9:41am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Fun with BMI

I think we all know how wonky the BMI system is for evaluating general health.

Yet the silly thing still persists.

I was purchasing some life insurance the other day, and I found my rate significantly higher because I am"obese" with a BMI of 32.5.

I don't have a real recent picture of myself available, but I am about 6' tall, weigh 240 lbs. I have a 50" chest, 38 waist. I lift heavy 4 days a week and bench press 300 pounds. I feel pretty damn healthy.

I thought it would be fun to see who else out there is obese according to the US government and assorted insurance companies.

So I looked up a bunch a people who had the same (or close to) BMI as me. the following induviduals can expected elevated insurance rates and the vile calumny of the masses as well:

John Cena:

Daniel Hill:

and Tom Arnold:

OK. Tom Arnold I believe.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    1/20/2012 9:52am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ha! I hear you on the BMI thing, but the irony is Tom Arnold will probably still be alive and kicking after John Cena and Daniel Hill die of heart attacks.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    1/20/2012 9:55am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    An excellent point!
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/20/2012 10:07am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude, we're friends on facebook, you've seen me getting in shape. I'm still considered obese by the BMI standards. Do you know what I would look like if I dropped the 18lbs they want me to drop to be "Healthy"? Everytime insurance people ask me this stuff I chew them out about 15 minutes straight before giving them an answer.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    1/20/2012 10:17am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most agencies still use it though. Even my old Dr. used it. It's kinda hilarious, except for the fact that it's terrifying how much people hang on to it.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    1/20/2012 10:20am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hell, I'd have to lose 60 pounds to make the standard...

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/20/2012 10:55am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm with you! I'm 6ft and 230-235(depending on when I took a dump!). There is a youtube video on one of the PT threads of me doing dips. I did about 35. I also do 50 pullups twice a week. And my cardio is pretty decent. I'm probably doing the warrior run in a few months.

Oh yeah........Hi, my name is Jay......I'm morbidly obese.

Here is that dip thread:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/arch...p/t-93996.html
    Last edited by Diesel_tke; 1/20/2012 10:59am at . Reason: added thread.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/20/2012 11:05am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    50 pullups? Damn you suck (insert facetious undertone here)

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/20/2012 11:53am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I do them in sets of 10. I'm wanting to go up to sets of 15, but I'm not there yet. But on a good note for me, I don't see a whole lot of guys my side throwing down on that many pullups.

Yeah, if I dropped down to what the BMI chart says I should be, I would look like a walking skeleton(in my opinion).
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    1/20/2012 11:57am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

BMI 33

Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast