Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2012 10:41pm

Style: TKD, Arnis, Catch

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

CMA Training in Hangzhou

So, I am going to be studying in Hangzhou for five months and am looking to also take in some CMA while I am over there. I have already signed on for a "Kung Fu" class at Zhejiang University where I will be staying. The application gave no indication as to what the particular brand of "Kung Fu" was but hey, its an extra credit or two.

But what I am really interested in is looking up a Sanda or Sanshuo school in Hangzhou. If anyone happens to know of one let me know. But I would also like to know what is the difference between Sanda and Sanshuo?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/26/2012 4:45am

Style: Gongfu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sanda and Sanshou are the same thing. You might be interested in this article. http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezin...hp?article=575

Be sure to ask around while you're there and visit the parks. Who knows what you'll find.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2012 12:46am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am now in two Gong Fu classes. The one class is at Zhejiang University for us foreign students. It is basic long fist wushu. The other I train at is at West Lake with a guy who is like some senior member in the international wushu association or some such thing. Guy knows everything and has some sick skills. He told me last Sunday that once he has finished teaching me some basic wushu he will teach me Sanda and shuai jiao. It was cool because he just brought it up himself at the end of class. I never asked him to teach me those things. I have been content just learning these forms whether or not they are applicable to combat sports. They are just fun to do as they are so different from anything else I have ever done. I have to train my body to move in a very different way. I am very happy training with this guy and his class because he knows everything in Chinese martial arts. He will soon be teaching me to use the traditional weapons even.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2012 1:31am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's great that you found something good. I'm curious about the West Lake guy. What is his traditional background, if any? I haven't done the modern wushu myself but it is certainly an impressive and demanding sport/art, just not for fighting.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2012 7:33am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My Chinese is not the best (which is why I'm here). So I don't know what his "base" is, and I am not sure how to ask when I meet him next, but it is clear from talking and training with him and others is that he pretty well knows it all. He was even demonstrating taiji as well. I have been thinking of writing a weekly log here about my training at the two different schools. Just write about how different it is from everything else I have done and my thoughts on the patterns and techniques that I learn. Don't know though. Busy guy. Would anyone read it?

It is certainly demanding on the legs and shoulders and calls for some flexibility.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2012 8:59am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been away from Bullshido for a long time, just came back on so I'm not in touch with the site. I'd guess there wouldn't be too much interest if you're doing wushu without much martial application. Some other sites might be more interested though. They appreciate school reviews here though, you could make one or two of those after you've trained a little longer.

I'm not active in martial arts at present but I'm still interested. I'll probably visit Hangzhou a couple of times in the next few months to visit customers. Would you mind if I stopped by at West Lake if the times work out?