Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2004 4:43pm

Style: Big Cans O' Whoopass!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    J - Lau - they are in Djimbe's hands - as soon as he burns them and mails them - you will have them.

We have been very busy these days.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    4/12/2004 8:10am

supporting member
     Style: Various JMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey all, thanks for the great time.

Speaking of pictures...

I took a bunch, but seem to have left my digital camera up in Whitehaven. Mutt, if you happen upon a grey Kodak digital, drop me an email/pm, and I will give you my address, so you can mail in COD.

Thanks all, again.

Posted On:
    4/12/2004 10:29am

Style: Im a Lover, not a fighter

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "J - Lau - they are in Djimbe's hands - as soon as he burns them and mails them - you will have them."

OKay.... going on 3 months....

Professor of Chaos

Posted On:
    4/12/2004 11:55am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Throwdown Report:

Me, John Butz and Shug drove up together after the bank finally let John leave work on Saturday. John and I train regularly together, but this was our first time meeting Shug. He's a very nice, easygoing dude and has a great spirit. He ain't afraid to get his butt kicked and wants to learn -- two traits anyone that wants to get better at martial arts needs to possess.

The Mutt's facility is in a neat campground that's in a very rural part of Pennsylvania. The rec hall had a wrestling mat and some ancillary mats placed around the perimeter. Djimbe and Tigerfly arrived near the same time we did. The Mutt, as well as his teenage daughter muttlings (one posts here as Aka Nari and the other may show up at some point) welcomed us, as did Mrs. Mutt. Some other guys (as of yet, non-Bullshido posters) from the area came down to play as well. There were some TKD guys that also train with one of Pedro Sauer's BJJ affiliates (when you see pictures, some of them were in the sporty NAGA gear). There was another guy that does a different jujutsu system and then finally a guy that has a background in karate, judo and FMA. All in all, it was a nice eclectic mix.

The first part of the day was drilling some groundwork - guard passes to submission and defenses from the guard, followed by progressive resistance drills which then transitioned into some all-out rolling. Afterwards, we switched gears and drilled some of the FMA stick work (which was new to me and something I've been eager to be exposed to) and were shown how the stick and knife patterns can overlap and the subtle differences between the use of each weapon.

Brad Souders (who arrived late, due to work, I think) then drilled us on some leg locks and transitions. Then we went back to more rolling, which we continued to do until it was late enough in the day to eat and drink.

The only person I rolled with from Bullshido was Shug, who I had at the mercy of my deadly fart submission, but I showed pity and didn't unleash it on him. At one point, I yelled at Djimbe to come roll, but whether he didn't hear me or didn't want to, I don't know, someone else grabbed me and there wasn't any shortage of people that were ready to try and beat you up, in a sportsmanlike way of course.

Things I really liked about the event:
    The people there were all the type of folks that you can train hard with, but none were assholes that were deliberately trying to mess you up. Some different styles and approaches were represented and I thought folks were, for the most part, open minded and there to learn. I felt like I represented myself well when rolling with the other grapplers, but it did show me how much more work I have to do to get myself back into any kind of semblance of fighting shape.

A couple of minor issues:
    At one point, there was a danger of some getting into a huge philosophical debate over the "right way to do things", which eventually died down when enough people decided to STFU and train.

I broke two of my toes by being an idiot. One of the bjj guys shot in one a single leg and pulled my shorts down (I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt by assuming it was an accident). Me, being the idiot, said, "Hang on a sec", and started pulling up my shorts. He kept going for the takedown and I hopped on one foot, caught my two middle toes and came down on them hard as he drove through me. I was still lucky enough to catch him in a guillotine choke on the way down (but didn't tap him, because stupid me secured the wrong grip). So, I'm currently investing heavily in athletic tape.

Anyhow, the next PA Throwdown is currently being planned for the Harrisburg area and I'm working on the details of it as we speak. If you're in the South New Jersey, Philly, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Washington DC areas, it shouldn't be more than a three hour drive to come play.

But I'll say it again, big thanks to the Mutt for playing host and thanks to all that attended. I enjoyed the opportunity to meet and/or train with everyone there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/12/2004 12:04pm

Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Indeed, I can't thank Mutt enough times for organizing this, and cooking us some really good food ^_^ It was a great experiance, espescially for someone like mehself whose looking to imporve in any way I can. I'm still new to grappling right now, and picked up some nifty tricks, to which ALWAYS makes me happy.

Anyway, thanks again Mutt, and Budd, ALL my thanks for not unleashing your deadly technique 0_o

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/12/2004 9:51pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It didn't happen until we see pictures.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2004 6:42am

Style: karate,jujitsu,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sorry i missed it,
    but you'll be over in the uk with us, IN SIX WEEKS MUTT, and you know you're gonna rock and roll then.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2004 6:57am

Style: Big Cans O' Whoopass!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by J-Lau
    "J - Lau - they are in Djimbe's hands - as soon as he burns them and mails them - you will have them."

OKay.... going on 3 months....
    Feel Free to take my schedule of the last three months and the next 2 and find the time... because it just isn't there. As I said as soon as Djimbe finds the time to burn them and drop them in the mail they'll be there and currently Djimbe has the flu/plauge.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/14/2004 9:54am

Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    still no pictas?

Lightweight

Posted On:
    4/19/2004 12:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Various JMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks to the Mutts swift returning of my camera to me, we will soon, within a day or tow, have pictures up(I hope).
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast