Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/16/2012 4:10pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Prone View Post
    From what I know from my creatine use it takes quite a while for the water to be "in the system"...after the four week circle your plan will work. But if you try to get the new water out of the system, it will probably take quite a while. It's like dehydrating somehow.

I never knew that creatine also has positive impact towards training recovery. Then I should probably start taking it again.
    You just need to saturate. That is why most people take a loading dosage of 20-30g when you don't really need it. A week is enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    Right now I'm about 170, I can gain 19 lbs before the Army starts getting pissy about it. That's why I cut out Creatine in the first place.

Here's the impetus for my decision to give it a try again:

http://examine.com/supplements/Creatine/#main_rubric
    And before people come running in that once you stop taking Creatine all your gains will disappear: http://examine.com/faq/what-happens-...-creatine.html

Quote Originally Posted by Cassius View Post
    On the other hand, if you are just trying to rationalize taking creatine as an aerobic fitness aid because you are going to take it anyway, I don't see how it could hurt to try.
    The science proves it is an aid.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/16/2012 6:41pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In other words, said Army Officers want to keep destroying people's knees for the sake of tradition.
    I am sure there are some crotchety sergeants major pulling for the longer run also.

Posted On:
    1/16/2012 7:30pm

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is 1.5 miles a long run? Run more and if you're having trouble with running have your form checked and make sure you have good shoes. If recovery is an issue than you need to schedule active recovery days.

Posted On:
    1/16/2012 8:21pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, if they want to test heart they should just include a 20k ruck. The running portion is to see how fast you can GTFO, and should be an almost completely anaerobic event.
    I don't disagree with you here, but to recommend a 20k ruck and say:
    In other words, said Army Officers want to keep destroying people's knees for the sake of tradition.
    is a little disingenuous. 20k rucks with weight are a lot worse than running two miles, especially if you man up and run with a healthy (barefoot) stride. There are tons of non-VFF barefoot running shoes available at relatively reasonable prices. I personally use Merrell barefoot trails.

Bottom line: Phrost is a pantywaist when it comes to running.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/17/2012 3:21am

Style: BJJ / Kyokushinkai Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Out of professional curiousity: The two mile run is with full gear? Because that length is not unusual (we did 5 km runs for the test). But we did it without full gear so I guess that is the problem, correct?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2012 9:29pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, let's say I was training to max the Army Physical Fitness test, in its current incarnation... because I am. I'm already close to maxing the Push Ups (around 70 on a good day, need 75) and max the Sit Ups (usually stop and stand up with 20 seconds left on the clock). The run, however, heh.

Anyway, I know that Creatine doesn't do much for Aerobic conditioning, but my idea here is that since it what it does do well, is useful in preparing, that I can use it to my advantage.

Here's how:

A.) Recovery is faster, allowing more frequent training.
    B.) You increase in water weight.

What? Yeah, that's how it'll help my running. Follow along:

If I weigh more when I run, my entire system needs to exert more effort, as if I ran with a weighted vest. So when I'm not carrying the weight, I run faster; not just because I'm lighter, but due to the increased recovery I've been able to train my muscles more frequently.

The catch is, and what I'm not sure about, is how long does it take to shed creatine-derived water weight (before the APFT event), and if there are any unforeseen flaws in my little plan here.
    Is your run on flat ground like a football oval or a hilly area? What is the time required for your run? I am guessing you are in the infantry, in which case isn't a pack march also part of the test?

To increase your pushups you can do ladders (not a pyramid) or a grease the groove approach; just make sure you vary the volume. Also do some sort of pulling exercise such as rows or pullups to balance it out.

For the running make sure you run up a lot of hills and pace yourself.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2012 12:17am

Style: slackerjitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Phrost,

How is your running workout structured? What makes up your average training cycle (running)?

Posted On:
    1/20/2012 10:05am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius View Post
    Phrost:

I think you're over thinking it. If you really want to improve your run, you should probably just run more. Additionally, you could try running with a snorkel or a weight vest.

On the other hand, if you are just trying to rationalize taking creatine as an aerobic fitness aid because you are going to take it anyway, I don't see how it could hurt to try.
    The snorkel is a terrible idea. Minimizing oxygen when you're trying to encourage aerobic adaptations is silly.

Posted On:
    1/20/2012 12:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by selfcritical View Post
    The snorkel is a terrible idea. Minimizing oxygen when you're trying to encourage aerobic adaptations is silly.
    How so?
    Forcing the body to acclimate is a pretty common strategy.
    It's one of the reasons the Olympic training center is at altitude.
    Hypoxic tents, altitude training, and the aforementioned snorkel etc are nothing new.
    I've done some underwater rock running, that sucks big time.
    You do repeats of this, sometimes with increasing depth, with only one breath between each run.

Posted On:
    1/20/2012 7:16pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by selfcritical View Post
    1.) What the ChenPengFi said.

2.) Given the time required for an old codger like Phrost to achieve a 100 on the run event (13:36, I believe), acclimating his muscles to tolerate some degree of oxygen starvation is going to help.

3.) I would really like for video of Phrost doing sprints on the treadmill in a snorkel to surface on the internet.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast