--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

"A whirling black arm of the night": Dashiell Hammett writes a mean stickfight

Now *this* is how to write a fight scene ...

http://www.bartitsu.org/index.php/20...are-town-1924/

The technical descriptions sound a lot like Irish shillelagh stick fighting, which would still have been part of pop-culture consciousness in 1924.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, Dashiell Hammett, after all. Even I can follow it.

I always liked Louis L'Amour's boxing scenes (such as in "Lando"), and he had been a professional boxer at one time.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of the best fight scenes I've ever read was the jiu-jitsu match in D.H. Lawrence's "Women in Love" (1920); almost zero technical content, but he really captured the energetic subtleties of grappling.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Beautiful.

@DdlR: Do you have that scene from the JJ match somewhere in electronic form?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The jiu-jitsu contest between the characters Gerald and Birkin starts about 1/3 of the way down the page here - http://www.classicreader.com/book/979/20/ . It's not overtly sexual, but energetically and erotically sensual. I'd say that it's probably the finest writing ever applied to a jiu-jitsu bout.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you :)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    almost zero technical content, but he really captured the energetic subtleties of grappling.
    I think that's really the key to writing a great fight scene, & it's incredibly difficult. The author has to give enough information to set the tone of the fight & give some basic sense of what's going on so that people who understand fighting can fill in the details for themselves rather than knit pick what seems wrong & people who don't know fighting will still know who's winning & losing, but be free from a confusion of technical details.