Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 101112 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/20/2012 7:22pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, I am an assistant instructor, I also work as an account manager for the academy.

As for my competition remark, I should have clarified, I was speaking more to their view of modern BJJ competitions. I am a great admirer of the Gracie Challenge Matches, and of course the first UFCs. My comment was based on comments I have personally heard from Ryron and Royce about their feelings toward modern BJJ tournaments (e.g., point systems taking away from practicality, stalling, etc.) Once again, my statement was not meant to take away from their competitions. Of course, that is their own view, and I'm sure there are plenty of Gracies that have academies that are driven toward modern BJJ tournaments, and I think that's great. We all have to find academies that we can align ourselves with, and Pittman's academy is that academy for me.

Thank you for helping me clarify my statement about the competitions, hopefully that will alleviate confusion for future posters.
    Last edited by KalEl81; 4/20/2012 7:39pm at .

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    4/20/2012 7:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I always found that ironic since in the 90's and early 2000's many Gracie's competed in Bjj comps and used it as proof of their skill.

Including Relson, Royce, Carlson, and Rorians kids competed before.

Posted On:
    4/20/2012 7:57pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can understand how there is a perception of irony in that. I won't try to defend their actions because I can't speak to their motivation for taking part in modern BJJ competitions, nor can I speak to their motivation for their multiple comments regarding modern BJJ competitions.

I believe there are valid points to what they say about modern BJJ competitions, but it doesn't matter as long as you enjoy what you do, whether that be MMA competitions, modern BJJ competitions, Muy Thai competitions, or even Karate competitions.

My only real reason for joining this conversation was to assist in shedding a bit of light on the subject of Pittman, his academy, his rank, and his belt system. That being said, I am enjoying the conversation; all too often I see people on forums like this act childish and immature so I would like to thank those that have responded to me for maintaining decorum that is sometimes lacking due to the level of anonymity offered by the internet.

Posted On:
    4/20/2012 7:59pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    David, I don't know if you saw that I asked earlier, but what exactly did you mean by "seminars don't count"?

Posted On:
    4/20/2012 8:06pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KalEl81 View Post
    David, I don't know if you saw that I asked earlier, but what exactly did you mean by "seminars don't count"?
    Ah in the sense have you trained outside your academy. Seminars don't really count as outside exposure IMO,

You said that you had trained at Machados in Dallas and it i haven't heard of those others.

Posted On:
    4/20/2012 8:16pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, I see, I guess I just didn't get that.

Danger Academy is a Relson Gracie affiliate Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu school in Wylie, Texas, owned and operated by Scott Phillips.

X-Factor Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is a Carlos Machado affiliate Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu school in Wylie, Texas, owned and operated by Shannon Mathers.

Zero Dojo (formerly Faixa Preta) is an MMA academy located in Rockwall, Texas. It was being run by a brown belt under Marcelo Garcia (I don't remember his name) and a purple belt named Michael Wright (I don't know his BJJ credentials), but I do know he's been teaching for over ten years and he was once a coach at the Lion's Den.

I highly recommend any of the above academies to anyone, especially Master Machado's . . . and of course I recommend Professor Pittman's (although it isn't mentioned in this particular comment).
    Last edited by KalEl81; 4/20/2012 8:31pm at .

Posted On:
    4/20/2012 8:30pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah Faxia Preta yeah I've heard of them and Danger. I'm at NDMMA.

Posted On:
    4/20/2012 8:37pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's North Dallas MMA, correct?

Posted On:
    4/20/2012 8:41pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KalEl81 View Post
    That's North Dallas MMA, correct?
    Yup just moved to JDs in oct. great place, and training mentality,

Posted On:
    4/20/2012 8:44pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe someday when I'm in Dallas I might get an opportunity to stop in there. I'm sure it's a great academy.
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 101112 LastLast