Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    5/03/2012 3:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some Bjj guys call themselves Professor. Not unheard of.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/03/2012 3:28pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by justbryan View Post
    From justbryan:
    So from what I have gathered in just skimming over some of your posts it sounds like you are an employee at Pittmans Bjj. \
    That's why it is best to read instead of just skimming.

Quote Originally Posted by KalEl81 View Post
    Yes, I am an assistant instructor, I also work as an account manager for the academy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/04/2012 12:44am

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Of course IIF.

Thanks DKjr

Guys it seems as if this thread has either died.or the questions are being ignored and purposefully unanswered with exception of DKjr being very straight forward with his answers (which has been very much appreciated). After reading further through this thread I've also seen that I apparently am not the only one who was also told Mr. Pittman is a fifth degree under Mr Machado. All Ive found is info showing he is a 3rd degree. I asked a local friend who trains at Carlos Machado's academy and said he's pretty disappointed with some things he heard a salesman named Danny Beluska there saying to a customer to the effect of "if you pay $3000.00 upfront I can guarantee you to be a blue belt in three years.". He said he felt like he was back at his old karate school whete he used to get reemed for cash when he heard that. What the heck is going on here? Is this like the offer Pittman made me for his "advanced black belt program? This is just really unfortunate because even though I've only dibble dabbled very little in Jiu-jitsu, and not knocking Mr. Machado because I've heard WAY too many things about him as a great BJJ Master but it seems like many are turning away from traditional ways of testing, and as long as the people show up a few times a month they can still test up (another statement made during the same overheard price presentation). The guy that told me this wasn't as hacked off about it as he was bummed out because before this he was looking forward to training up to his brown belt soon...now he is thinking of going elsewhere whete he thinks his rank would be more legitimately earned. Obviously I was not there to hear the conversation but am considering going in sometime over the next few weeks myself before I leave for Lubbock so I can hear it firsthand.

Beyond that, I would definitely like to know more on the issues I had at Pittman's bjj. IE. Whats up with the wierd fake accent? Why was I offered to be in the Advanced Black Belt program with literally almost NO experience besides wrestling around like an idiot for a few weeks with a buddy in his garage who just started and kickboxing experience from 8 plus years ago? I would like also to hear what the deal is on PBJJ suing Tony Bonello as Ive heard now that it was Pittmans attempt (and potentially succesful attempt) to keep Bonello from running a facility in Lubbock merely because a former student of Pittmans left to go train under Bonello. Thete were also a few questions I had from the last page that would be great to hear the explanation on.

And if one of you who is a moderator would approve, I may begin a new thread as it seems this one has died. Not to demeaning or call out, but to bring attention to and have these questions answered as I am sure I can't be the only one wanting to know.

Is there anyway Mr.Pittman would answer these things himself?

Posted On:
    5/24/2012 4:30pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most likely a bad place for a first post but here it goes:
    My name is Joel Coolbaugh (hence the screen name). For those of you who know "Agent Cooper", I'm the local chiropractor (JKD guy) that had his ass handed to him by Mr. Pittman back in 1998, and yes, it was comical (and I wasn't the one laughing). I sucked up my pride back in early 2009 at the age of 41 and started training under Mr. Pittman with "Agent Cooper" as his lead instructor. I train on average of 10-12 hours a week and have since I signed up. To give you an example of how addicted I am to BJJ, I tore my MCL and PCL during an open mat sparring session and was back the next night (after an MRI showing only partial and not complete tears) wearing a knee brace. As you can see, being ADHD and OCD has it's advatages and disadvantages. I started competing in NAGA's as a white belt around the 6 month mark and won Gold, blue belt at a little over a year and won Gold as well. I stepped up to the expert division with just 18 months of training under Pittman and after competing in at least 7 NAGA Tournaments as a brown belt over the past 20 months, I only failed once at getting a Championship belt and took second (I'll add that I went the distance against a first degree Machado BB and lost 0/0 on a referees decision) To challenge myself at this last NAGA, I stepped down to the Masters (30-39 year olds) and fought a BJJ BB, Collin Grayson and beat him 2/0 (I'll be the first to admit that he is much better than me but I was able to squeek out the win none the less). What I'm trying to say is that the instruction I have received under Pittman is second to none.

Yes, the in-house belt system he uses does cause some people to get their panties in a wad but too bad, it's his school and he gets to make the rules in his own house. Master Machado, Draculino and Royce Gracie have all given multiple seminars over the years at his school and it didn't seem to bother any of them. I'll also say that there have been a number of students that stick with the IBJJF belting system and Pittman allows them to do so. Davis Smith and Clint Carrol are two students that come to mind that asked and were allowed to use the IBJJF belt system rather than Pittmans. I see it as a way to keep people motivated and yes, it makes Pittman a little money (money he uses to keep the A/C on and I appreciate that).

In Lubbock, for BJJ, other than Pittmans, there are really only two other schools that I know of. One is Tony Bonello's old school, now called Black Belt University (Ralph Gracie affiliate) and the lead instructor is Gabe Garcia who earned his BB under Pittman and the other school is UMA (Royce Gracie affiliate) and their lead instructor is Chris Vigil and he also earned his black belt under Pittman as well. Yes, both of them can kick my butt and I would never challenge either but why would I train at either place. Pittman is the source of their knowledge and neither school has anywhere near as many classes per week or anywhere near as many students which means I get to train more often with a greater diversity of training partners. I've been at Pittmans when there were 80 to 100 guys on the mat at one time. Fighting the same 6 or 7 guys seems like it would limit ones growth but I could be wrong.

In regards to Pittman suing Bonello. When Bonello opened his school, Black Belt Universe, he advertised that his school was the only school with a Gracie Black Belt and something like "not just some guy from Lubbock" referring to Pittman. Bonello refused to change his advertising even after Pittman proved he got a Black Belt from Royce Gracie as well and was, at the time, also a Royce Gracie affiliate school. Hence, Pittman was forced to file suit to get him to stop the false advertising. What I thought as comical was when Bonello first came into Lubbock, He actually trained at Pittmans for a short period of time. I watched Tony roll with one of our brown belts under Pittmans belt system (Pedro Gonzales) with 2 years of training and Pedro submitted him 3 times in five minutes with the same triangle. For a guy that claimed 15 years experience in BJJ and losing to a smaller opponent with just 2 years of training, the way he did was a joke. We all remember the Ninja Rua vs. Tony Bonello fight, Tony showed ZERO BJJ skills in that fight....or should I say beating.

In regards to being offered the "Advanced Black Belt" program as opposed to just the "basic" program is actually pretty simple. The basic program is just that, a basic program where you learn the basics and you are allowed to train in about 4 classes a week. In the Advanced program, you are allowed to not only train in the basic program but to also train in any of the other (about 15) classes as well per week. For someone like me that was eager and willing to dedicate himself, the Advanced course was an obvious choice.

I hope this clears up some of the questions mentioned above. Now that I'm done, let the NOOB beating begin. Joel

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    5/24/2012 5:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So you've been training for a year and a half and have beaten black belts in competition?

Posted On:
    5/24/2012 8:44pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, I've been training 3 years and 2 month. NAGA puts purples, browns and blacks in the same catagories if there aren't enough competitors in any one age or weight class. For the most part, I've fought other brown but at the NAGA worlds in December in Dallas, I beat two different BB's to win both GI and No-GI Gold. In Houston, in GI, I went up against Eddie Avelar, a 1st degree under Machado or Solis, not sure and was able to go the entire round and it ended 0/0 (if the round would have been a minute or two longer, he would have most likely have put me to sleep, lol). As I stated above, I also beat a BB at the Dallas NAGA this month to win another championship belt.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2012 3:02pm

Style: brazilian jiu jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    John again, i have trained with dr. coolbaugh, and he's vicious.

To answer some previous questions, the accent thing, you get me around abunch of ghetto mexicans and i start hearing myself rolling r's and breaking my english. if im doing business with a redneck, my texas accent comes out full blast, some people just do that, no big deal.

He is titled "professor" because he teaches a class at texas tech university.

who cares about the lawsuit, its his business, and tony got himself into this mess to be perfectly honest.

and there is no kool aid, just a fierce loyalty that comes from believing in yourself, your team, and your instructors/ training. My aforementioned instructor, pedro gonzales rolls with a fluidity and skill that rivals most at the academy, and im not brainwashed or ass kissing. i speak from experience. I guarantee if just bryan would have been able to suck it up and train here, he would see what the hubub is about. i was in the same boat over a year ago, with no experience, but now i have skill and confidence like ive never had, and sure the professor is cocky and a little eccentric, but hes not a criminal or a liar or anything else that deserves real ridicule.If you could beat about anyone you could ever fight, you would be real proud of yourself too. you get a fourth stripe on your red bar from a machado or a gracie and then maybe you can talk. many of you have barely taken a single step in shoes like his and i know this personally from training here. it has been a struggle for me since day one, ive gone through a divorce and being broke and many other bullshit events in my life during this time, and my training has always been there for me. it never lies to me, it never leaves me. it is always there for me and i have my training when i have nothing else at all. and i guarantee i can take care of myself on the street. sure it costs, but put me up against another student at a cheaper school, of equal skill and i will show you where the extra "cents" go. sorry to get fired up, but you guys just wanna pick pittman and his academy apart, then come visit one time, or "hear a guy say whatever" and wont even come train you are making decisions based on nothing. he even offers thirty days free training, but no one remembers that lil detail, he gives you the chance to give us a try before signing up. come spend a week with us, get some experience and then run off at the mouth. im the hardest person to get to trust, i dont even have friends here. i have never hung out off the mat with anyone in the academy, however i put my training in their hands, and trust everyone here with my life. Anyway, sorry for the harsh words, but if you dont know anything about something, go educate yourself, then you can make an intelligent statement based on experience instead of hearsay or a gut feeling. just the other day i got to talk to a "real" purple and blue belt from another academy and they enjoyed the experience, either that or were complete liars. they came from legit schools too. they didnt have a problem. of course they know what jiu jitsu is about. i probably wont post anymore here because im done. i dont mean to offend anyone and i fear if i keep going, i will. everyone train hard, and good luck with your goals. put your heart in it and always give 110%.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2012 11:43am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually Joel, although you must have been the other claim of fame Pittman had while speaking about the JKD guy that hated him for years but "yielded and trains" under him now but the guy I am talking about was a kung fu school owner named Andy who simply came in asking about jiu jitsu and Pittman challenged the little guy to a fight in front of 4 or 5 other students. 'Andy' thought they were just sparring and Pittman was going all out including jumping on the guts back while he stood up as Pittman "demonstrated" a technique. He shovef him to the ground face first and humiliated the guy while trying his hardest to put him to sleep...hardly a "demonstration". Apparently Pittman did this to another guy which just wanted to introduce himself as an Instructor. Pittman beat him up pretty badly and then told everyone the guy was a muay Thai instructor when in fact he was a tai chi teacher. Ill never go back to this guys school just hearing this crap. What an absolute ego maniac. Believe me, this comes from a credible source who Pittman still considers a friend who also witnessed all of this stuff.

"Who cares its his business?"...??????

Wait a second, I was told this forum was all about bringing everything out into the light. Ironically AND coincedentally, Pittman drug a coworkers son into court against Tony Bonello just because he wanted to go train under Bonello.

And sorry; but if Pittman were raised constantly around Brazilians his accent would be understood , but from what I understand his time around Braziluans these days is nill almost and he was raised in Lubbock Tx. Thats bullshido at its best.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/27/2012 11:59am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by justbryan View Post
    Wait a second, I was told this forum was all about bringing everything out into the light.
    It is from both sides if you PRESENT FACTUAL EVIDENCE.
    It doesn't involve hearsay form a second party claiming:
    Believe me, this comes from a credible source who Pittman still considers a friend who also witnessed all of this stuff.
    Yes, we know this bugs people, but there are a million forums that love alleged facts, venting and hearsay. Documented facts make things SO MUCH easier when people come in saying"...but....but....but he is a good guy and viscous." Or my favorite "justbryan is just a disgruntled former student."

You know you can refute this by saying "here is a cease and desist order," "here is a restraining order," "here is the true military record," "here is the rape conviction," "here are the emails," "here is the video interview," "here are the court records," "here is the newspaper article," and "here is the sex offender website."

All of these have occurred in multiple threads.

I will never understand why people can not grasp that small truth.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 6/27/2012 12:06pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2012 9:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Two good points, Is it fake and you are correct in saying actual hardcore facts woulb be best.
    John Gillespie, will you verify that a student named Cody was or was not dragged into court and if you cannot, please have Pittman do so himself or through you. Even though its "only his business" I think every person who has ever been investigated by this forum could have said the same thing with no success and regardless of being a 5th degree black belt or not, Pittman should be afforded that same "courtesy" if you will.

I would also like to know if Machado recognizes his.5th degree and if not, whete does it come from?

Are the black belts through Pittmans belt system recignized as black belts by Brazilians or not....yes or no?

Has Pittman spent the last 9 years or so around Brazilians constantly...enough to curve his Texan accent to sound like his version of a Brazilian accent...and enough to make him completely lose his Texan accent? Because if so, why did his normal English accent come back immediately come back after the majority of the students left the class?

Is it fake, I will say straight up I am not a disgruntled student. Much like you said I shouldnt "just skim" and should actually read the previous posts, my previous posts said that as well. I came into this site asking questions and my question was combined with this post.

In fact folks, lets go ahead and seal any questions you have about me. My name is Bryan Stratton. John, look through your logs for my name and Im sure you will find me. BUT while you are trying to grill me in your upcoming responses, please remember to answer all the questions I have posted in previous posts.

Im sure Pittmans ability is great, but Im questioning legitimacy and would definitely like to know why Pittman chooses to try and demolish other Instructors who merely come in to introduce themselves or ask for a demonstration.

To make sure Pittman will know the story about the Tail Chi Instructor is legitamate, I was told that he should remember that it was the same day that his mother had her leg removed. Im trying to be harsh or insensative with that btw... I really am not. That was the way the old friend/student of Pittman told me Klay could validate it. Both of the 'one sided fight' scenes happened at Pittman's Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

Thanks Is it fake for setting me straight and you were right. Instead of heresay, I also would like the questions answered.

My next question is, Why hasn't Pittman himself answered instead if sending his students to answer for him?
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 12 LastLast