Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    4/20/2012 9:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KalEl81 View Post
    I can understand how there is a perception of irony in that. I won't try to defend their actions because I can't speak to their motivation for taking part in modern BJJ competitions, nor can I speak to their motivation for their multiple comments regarding modern BJJ competitions.

I believe there are valid points to what they say about modern BJJ competitions, but it doesn't matter as long as you enjoy what you do, whether that be MMA competitions, modern BJJ competitions, Muy Thai competitions, or even Karate competitions.

My only real reason for joining this conversation was to assist in shedding a bit of light on the subject of Pittman, his academy, his rank, and his belt system. That being said, I am enjoying the conversation; all too often I see people on forums like this act childish and immature so I would like to thank those that have responded to me for maintaining decorum that is sometimes lacking due to the level of anonymity offered by the internet.
    Yes, I'd say though that all the light shedding has already been done. You'll notice in my posts I never once disparaged Klay's skill just his business model. As a card carrying member of the BJJihad I won't hesitate to point out things that I believe don't positively impact BJJ or include any unnecessary additions .

My only goal in this thread was to originally speak up for Mr. Pittmanm's skills while making readers aware that the way he runs his gym differs from the norm (IMO) an unnecessary way that is meant to earn more. Nothing wrong with earning more at all, I just believe that to make a major change such as more belts and belt test charges is undue.

However I'm not a BJJ gym owner, but many who are don't follow such methods.

TLDR version: I don't like his business model, I've trained with his black belts and know guys who grew up training with him so I'm not knocking his skill.

edit: You're welcome anytime, just hit me up on here and I'll be sure to be there that night.
    Last edited by DKJr; 4/20/2012 9:20pm at . Reason: edit

Posted On:
    4/22/2012 3:55pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I appreciate the invitation, and when I make my way to DFW with time to train I will definitely contact you about visiting NDBJJ. I've enjoyed our conversation, and I'd like to once again thank you for your respectfulness. I hope your training continues to go well, and if you are ever in Lubbock, please contact me about visiting our academy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2012 11:46am

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Klay Pittman - Pittman's Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

Ok, so I,'m gonna do my best to keep from talking too much crap (which I know will disappoint some of you from what I've read thus far...ha ha ha) but I just want to make sure I'm not getting the wool pulled over my eyes.

I visited a dojo called Pittman's Brazilian Jiu Jitsu a few weeks back in Lubbock, TX and I've e got a pretty bad gut feeling about the place but wanted to see what others on your board may say with what I experienced also.

So I go in to get information because Ill be moving there and really got the run around and couldn't get a real price upfront (which I guess is kind of standard nowadays) until going thru an intro. Maybe it's because people just really don't impress me and I'm not an emotional buyer, but he kept challenging me with the good old condescending "see what you don't know" route thru the entire intro class, but thats not even what gave me a wierd feeling. The entire time, the guy talked in some wierd accent that sounded like he was trying to sound Brazilian or something ... and I qoute (NOT A JOKE) "make sure you putting your foot heeeere to making the hurt happen. If it's no foot here you goin to have no hurt happening". I'm seriously not exaggerating.

So I felt compelled to ask where he was from after class just out of interest and got what I felt was another run around. "I have spend many years around Brazilians, my friend". It was just super wierd.

So we started talking about pricing and here's the other side that seemed wierd. They have like 13 belts there and from what I thought there were only five or so in jiu jitsu....am I wrong???

Another thing that seemed kinda wierd was that because I had kickboxed before (which I told him twice before was 8 years ago and nothing like jiu jitsu) he said I should get into his advanced program which was, of course, more expensive per month and had a larger down payment.

With the whole belt system thing (obviously having 12 or 13 belts and him charging for belt exams every couple of months, which Ive never heard of in jiu jitsu) it really seems to not make too much sense at all that I (a TOTAL newbie to the jiu jitsu world with NO ground fighting experience) would be offered to be able to come train with all the advanced guys.....with exception of making cents (not sense) in his pocket book.

I also thought jiu jitsu was supposed to be an honorable art etc etc but it seems this place wasnt ran according to wanting to see people grow and develop thier abilities as much as it was set up to worship this guy. Granted...he made it a point to let me and everyone else know he could and would tap us out like "everyone else he's beat up that has challenged him" (like some kung fu guy he beat up years before) but rightfully so, he should be able to--- He's a freakin 5th degree black belt or whatever.

It's just really unfortunate because I heard some good things and saw some reviews from what now I realize are just loyal cult members it seems. So obviously, now after I hear myself saying all of this, theres no way I want to train there when I move, but is this what I can expect from jiu jitsu places and is all of the above typical in them???

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/02/2012 11:52am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Merged with the recently bumped thread. The search function is your friend.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2012 12:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Im assuming that means you added that to the thread I just found in my search. Thats crazy...another one of those I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE moments. So do I go search it again and post there???

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2012 12:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nevermind....derr...the newbie shows his newbieness.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2012 12:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also does anyone know what this lawsuit from Klay Pittman against Tony Bonello is??? I thought Bonello had a school in Lubbock also but I never found it. Is that why???

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    5/02/2012 12:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your experience is totally out of the norm for BJJ.

American black belts I know don't fake being Brazilian to seem more legit, nor do they have to remind you they'll beat your ass.

His belt system is out of the norm, but his charging for testing is not. The frequency of testing however is.

I'm reminded of a quote from lucky number slevin.

"The first time someone calls you a horse you call him a fool, the second time someone calls you a horse you punch them on the nose. The third time someone calls you a horse, well you might want to start shopping for a saddle."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2012 12:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow. now THAT is funny.

Yeah I guess Im just now getting back into the martial arts game and have been wanting to for some time. Jiu Jitsu seemed pretty interesting but like I said, I just had a bad feeling about the Pittmans Jiu Jitsu place and hoped most places arent ran like a good ol "drink the kool aid" cult and wondered why I would be offered access to an advanced class with no experience. Is that what a McDojo is??? Ive seen that thru a couple threads and wondered.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2012 9:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KalEl81 View Post
    Yes, I am an assistant instructor, I also work as an account manager for the academy.

As for my competition remark, I should have clarified, I was speaking more to their view of modern BJJ competitions. I am a great admirer of the Gracie Challenge Matches, and of course the first UFCs. My comment was based on comments I have personally heard from Ryron and Royce about their feelings toward modern BJJ tournaments (e.g., point systems taking away from practicality, stalling, etc.) Once again, my statement was not meant to take away from their competitions. Of course, that is their own view, and I'm sure there are plenty of Gracies that have academies that are driven toward modern BJJ tournaments, and I think that's great. We all have to find academies that we can align ourselves with, and Pittman's academy is that academy for me.

Thank you for helping me clarify my statement about the competitions, hopefully that will alleviate confusion for future posters.
    From justbryan:
    So from what I have gathered in just skimming over some of your posts it sounds like you are an employee at Pittmans Bjj. Please feel free to reply back to the last post(s) I made regarding my visits there as I found it pretty disturbing that I was offered to come into your more advanced Bjj program while having NO experience in ground fighting EVER and also maybe elaborate on the fake accent Pittman uses (along with the run around excuses of why he speaks that way) I have been told from a mutual friend there named Aaron (who gave me permission to use his name) that he thinks Pittman may have even been born in Ropes TX but knows he was raised.in Lubbock all his life that nobody knows why he uses the fake accent and feels it necessary to tell everyone how many people he's beaten up, etc. Also, where does the title "Professor" come from??? What ever happened to the good old days when everyone went by Sir or Maam that was given in respect as compared to "Call me Professor Pittman".
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 1112 LastLast