Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/14/2012 3:19pm

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

A question of sparring etiquette

I'm struggling to put this question coherently, so bear with me...

Here's the thing... Most of the sparring I do happens in Open Sessions at the gym rather than in class, so I'm doing more unsupervised than supervised sparring.

I am utterly **** at it, but I do enjoy it. We generally go at it light to medium contact, and I trust the guys I spar with not to **** me up, but I'm having trouble being aggressive/pro-active enough in these sessions.

I'm a TMA'er at heart, and find myself reacting to received blows as though they were full on, out of formality/politeness (and tbh a certain amount of pussyness).

Now, at this kind of contact level, you can obviously eat a few strikes/kicks that you otherwise wouldn't get away with. Subsequently, Instead of getting pushed backwards (as is the norm for me) I could just be riding through it and attacking more.

So, here's the question(s):

Regularly brushing off a strike/combination and just returning fire, though that attack would otherwise have broken you...
    Is that:

a) comfortable way to learn to fight under pressure
    b) bad manners/sportsmanship
    c) a shortcut to the contact level suddenly ego-increasing.
    d) other

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/14/2012 4:06pm

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, how exactly do you react? Stop what you've been going to do?

Not every punch you're receiving (even if it was thrown with intention) might actually knock you out, I'm rather sure you know that.

EDIT: I'm drunk, my English sucks now, but: I feel that if you stop in your tracks whenever you feel you've received a blow that might knock you out you're not really giving the guy you're sparring with a chance to realistically test his stuff, because very often, one hit isn't going to do the trick. He's going to see that he got that opening and got one in, good for him, it's still possible that whomever he might actually fight some day will not be as impressed with it as you are so don't give him that false sense of security.

Also, going on after being hit teaches you to not just give up after one blow you've received. Something I had to learn, too. Some hits I received when starting out didn't seem as demolishing in retrospect when I started to get used to getting hit and still going on.

EDIT2: There's also a lot of other reasons why I personally prefer whomever I'm sparring not to go "aw ****, I'm hit, let's restart" after I got a punch in, one being that I have a habit of dropping my hands after such a thing and expecting the other to retreat, stuff like that. It's just sparring. Supposed to teach you stuff and all that jazz.
    Last edited by Azatdawn; 1/14/2012 4:18pm at .

Posted On:
    1/14/2012 4:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should spar at higher contact for a time. Then you will know what to acknlowledge as "I've been owned" and what not. Then you'll behave properly at light/medium contact sparring.

Posted On:
    1/14/2012 6:10pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    You should spar at higher contact for a time. Then you will know what to acknlowledge as "I've been owned" and what not. Then you'll behave properly at light/medium contact sparring.
    This. I'm short, so I have to get inside to do anything useful. Which means taking a shot or two on the way in sometimes. Some shots I can just walk through to get in and do my stuff, but some will crack my head back and I've got to get someplace else before the next few finish the job. We'll go light sometimes, but everyone has a good idea of what would have been insignificant even at speed, and what would have been really unpleasant to get hit with.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    1/14/2012 8:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the way we train, light contact means you are constantly working. so no, you dont stop when you get hit. otherwise, youre just doing point sparring arent you?

if you are only doing light/medium contact though, well, i dont know. thats a fucking retardo way to train something like muay thai unless you are actually in thailand and fight every weekend.

Posted On:
    1/15/2012 1:54am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Treat the contact as if that is the amount of force you have been hit with instead of trying to make up some sort of scenario.

Heavy contact for me is about not reacting to hard strikes rather than reacting to it. If my defence has failed and I eat a good shot I want to be back in the game as fast as I can. I train pretty heavy though and If my sparring partner smells blood he will go for me twice as hard.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/15/2012 3:17am

Style: lazy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My first boxing trainer said to me years ago,
    "People react different when they get hit, some will take it and say Right, thats it I'm gonna get ya. Some just fire straight back."
    I think its important to have both, but what I'm getting at is there is alot to be said for firing straight back.
    I like it because they are usually right there with a **** guard waiting to run into something hard, especially if they think you're hurt and get excited.
    After you get used to keeping your eyes on the job when the ****'s flying, you can counter pretty good.

Posted On:
    1/15/2012 4:11am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Remember that the way you react when you train is the way you react when you fight. Conditioning yourself to flinch at blows is just about the stupidest thing you can do.

You should be constantly working on your poker face in light, medium and heavy sparring. If you are doing it right no one should be able to know that that last blow they hit you with took the wind out of you, or be able to tell you are tired from 10 rounds.

In my last gym if you showed a grimace when someone leg kicked you we were trained to ruthlessly go after that leg until you cannot walk.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Posted On:
    1/17/2012 5:55am

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the comments guys. At least I know now how I ought to be behaving, so can stop worrying about that aspect.

I'm slow replying, as I've been doing some soul searching on it over the last few days.

What's become apparent through further thought, (and by my internal reaction to the comments) is that actually, most of the problem was probably just plain pussyness on my part.

I assume and hope that's something that will just lessen with exposure. I'm with good people, so sticking at it shouldn't be a problem.

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti