<Insert something clever here>

Posted On:
    4/10/2004 11:24am

supporting member
     Style: Currently a BJJ noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Ok, can someone help me out here?

I got into a debate with a guy once, and I didn't get a statisfactory answer, and we couldn't decide who was right, who was wrong. I just thought of this, and decided to post it here.

In regards to push-ups, say, 100 llb person, does 20 pushups, and a 200 llb person does 20 push-ups, who would be stronger? I maintain the 200 pounder will be, because he's lifting more weight. The other guys said they are the same, the only difference is their strength is relative to the proportions. I maintained that is bunk, because the other guy is doing the same reps, with twice the weight, therefore he should be twice as strong. We agreed to disgaree.

Any thoughts?
    :qleft1: :new_cussi :qmickey: :evil7: :XXcat: :XXfish: :5crackup:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2004 11:28am

Style: Florid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Elementary. Their strength is relative only in regards to their own bodyweight. If you change the benchmark for the same muscles, then the beefier fellow is likely to come out on top; his absolute strength is greater. I know nothing about physical training, but this is a transparent problem of pure logic.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/10/2004 11:38am

supporting member
     Style: fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    not necessarily

<Insert something clever here>

Posted On:
    4/10/2004 11:39am

supporting member
     Style: Currently a BJJ noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Care to elaborate?
    :qleft1: :new_cussi :qmickey: :evil7: :XXcat: :XXfish: :5crackup:

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    4/10/2004 11:42am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You don't have enough information to come to a conclusion. The weight is the issue. Lets say the 100lb guy can bench 300lbs, and th3e 200lb guy can bench only 250.

They can both perform push-ups, that test alone is inconclusive.

Hope this helps.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2004 11:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe our friend Kismasher is confused, or possibly intoxicated, judging from this and his answer to my Kali/Escrima question.

This cannot be more obvious. One man moves one hundred pounds twenty times, the other moves two hundred pounds twenty times. Comparing the weight lifted by the first man to the weight lifted by the second man, we see that the lighter fellow lifted a total of two hundred pounds, and the heavier, four hundred.

If you analyze this as a proportion of their body weight then they are equal, but the heavier man's absolute strength is greater. As this is our only data on their performance, it is reasonable to conclude that the heavier man has the greater absolute strength. No other lifts are under consideration in this particular thought problem.

Is multiplication no longer a mandatory component of the curriculum in American public institutions of learning?
    Last edited by Gelid Light; 4/10/2004 11:48am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2004 11:47am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It doesn't aid our friend's inquiry to complicate the question with other data. You are merely changing the question. With certitude, we would have a more complete picture of the lifters' relative performance if we had a variety of exercises to compare with one another. But that is unfortunately not what he is asking.

Beachy Keen

Posted On:
    4/10/2004 12:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Chop Socky

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Gelid Light

This cannot be more obvious. One man moves one hundred pounds twenty times, the other moves two hundred pounds twenty times. Comparing the weight lifted by the first man to the weight lifted by the second man, we see that the lighter fellow lifted a total of two hundred pounds, and the heavier, four hundred.

Is multiplication no longer a mandatory component of the curriculum in American public institutions of learning?
    I dunno, Jello, you tell me.

When I multiply 100 by 20, I get 2000, not 200. Similarly when I multiply 200 by 20, I get 4000, not 400.

American public institutions of learning are called schools, dumbass.

You know, school, as in, to school, as in, you have been schooled. Watch, in shock and awe, as I compress meaning into common household phrases!

It's entirely preventable, you know. Just avoid otiose lapidarity, and people might start to take you seriously.

BTW: Finnegan's Wake: Wank, decent thing to flip around in at random when tripping, or major literary work?
    I would liken it to the boxing or the muay thai of internal kung fu, even though that's like calling apples the oranges of the apple world. --WalkOn

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/10/2004 1:07pm

supporting member
     Style: fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gelid,

unplug your brain, it's clouding your thinking

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/10/2004 1:11pm