Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/17/2012 11:34am

Join us... or die
     Style: comparison shopping

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thrutch View Post
    My right ACL is completely ruptured and gone. Hasn't really caused me any major problems. If your legs are strong enough then most people can get by without an ACL.
    Do you ever move sideways or turn on that leg?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2012 12:58am

Style: VAJ, Sei Shin Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The surgery is a lot better these days. I was one of the first 100 operations my doctor had ever done. I had mine done back in 1990 and I was in the hospital for 3 days, on crutches for 2 months, and rehab for 18 months. Now it's an outpatient surgery and the patient is walking on it either the same day or the next day.

The one thing that was recommended to me is to get your leg as strong as possible before the surgery. The rehab goes a lot better that way. Listen to both your doctor and your therapist and don't push it too quickly. You don't want to injure it again.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2012 9:22am

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    Do you ever move sideways or turn on that leg?
    Yes, although it's usually in the back of my mind that I need to be careful. I can throw left leg roundhouses, sliding lead leg side kicks etc with my weight on that knee and it's no problem.

I had to give up football though. The last match I played didn't do me much good.

Posted On:
    2/29/2012 6:55am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just to give you guys an update Im as of now six weeks post op and am getting around without the aid of a brace or crutches. I have achieved full ROM however am still working on flection. Honestly It can be pretty frustrating trying to stretch out your leg completely while your puny quad twitches like a scared chihuahua. Lately I've been doing pushups like crazy and have recently begun light lifting in order to build back some of the strength I had pre injury. I must say the worst part is definitely the boredom. With a number of tournaments passing me by lately sitting aound doing nothing has been miserable. Its been so bad that when I dropped by the gym during class I almost considered doing some light drills but thankfully had enough sense to toss that idea in the crazy bin. As far as rehab goes the recumbent bike and medicine ball squats have been the biggest help in addition to the variety of thing my PT has me doing. I fully intend on returning to ground work at the four month mark sin I have (had) a solid bottom game and plan to be very selective with who I roll with. Some might think this sounds soon but my thinking is that as long as I avoid throws and other techniques which involve planting my feet I will be putting myself at little risk. I'll be sure to post an update when I return to training.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12