Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/13/2011 4:38pm

Style: spectator

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Cops & Aikido

http://www.leelofland.com/wordpress/?p=13819

This is the latest blog entry from Lee Lofland, who's an ex-cop/detective and now a writer. It discusses defensive control of suspects using Aikido (and Stephen Seagal).

Hope it's of interest.
    Last edited by MovableBookLady; 12/13/2011 4:39pm at . Reason: wanted to add tags but can't

Posted On:
    12/14/2011 10:45am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Police administrators love the wrist twisty techniques of Aikido. I'm not a big fan. I find the typical police academy defensive tactics courses and seminars to be a poor substitute for real training in martial arts/sports with live components (sparring, rolling, randori). There are delusional officers out there that think they learned everything they need to know during 18 hours of instruction at thier academy 10 years ago or that somehow the showy muscles they are developing in their bodybuilding gym are going to magically infuse them with martial competance. Like everything else in life there really are no shortcuts. If you are a cop, get into a fight gym.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2011 6:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have to say I was a little taken aback by his enthusiasm. Thanks for the comment.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2012 10:33am

Style: Traditional Mix

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have had the Aikido angle thrown in before. been around for a while. Most LE agencies discourage striking arts, other than baton/Asp techniques due to public perception. Grappling arts were considered less controversal and resulted in fewer lawsuits. Public perception is still strong against choking techniques, but favor submission by joint locks. Aikido techniques have done well by long time practicioners, but the refined motor skills needed for effectiveness will not be picked up by average LEOs because they will not put in the dojo time. Most fellow officers I have served with would not even go to the range to practice with their weapons if they were not paid.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2012 11:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, that's ever so reassuring to know. Why is that? Why don't they want to be proficient?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2012 2:42am

Style: French Smallsword

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd have to guess probably for the same reason that others in a different professions don't always practice and work at their profession on off hours. To some, work is work. People who come here have an interest in martial arts and/or prowess. Not everyone shares that interest though.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/12/2012 10:15am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't decide if it's funny or sad that in Japan (spiritual homeland of aikido, karate, etc.) the police are encouraged to participate in Judo, while here in America (spiritual homeland of wrestling, boxing, and mixed martial arts) the head honchos think Steven Seagal is someone to emulate.

Which Dan rank in aikido qualifies me to run my own Russian sex slave operation?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/12/2012 10:42am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MovableBookLady View Post
    Well, that's ever so reassuring to know. Why is that? Why don't they want to be proficient?
    One big issue is money. People don't get paid enough to be able to afford training. Another is crazy wierd work schedules. Midnight shift, 12 hour swing shifts, and 3-11 shift don't allow for good training opporatunity. And the final one is lack of good places to train at. I have family in Law Enforcement and I personally have tons more training in any martial art than any of them as there are NO martial arts schools within about 3 hours drive.

So we always have training days when I go into town. But yeah, to answer your question, it is not always lack of "want to be proficient".
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2012 12:11pm

Style: Traditional Mix

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Absolutely correct. I have either been the primary trainer or assistant for several sessions for other agencies in the area. Most of the officers were willing to work at it as a needed skill and even asked to come by the dojo for the offered free practice sessions. However, there were those that begrudgenly (sp?) participated, and could not wait to leave. You have those LE professionals that work on their skill sets on their own time and dime and you have the others that do not. It is probably the same in many other professions.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2012 2:32pm

Style: lazy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've experienced a few situations where cops were trying to use aikido style wrist or arm locks, the times I wasn't compliant they were all like " oh ****, why isnt it working? Oh now he's taunting us, this is just embarrasing, time to go caveman, better grab some hair or something... anger, frustration etc" Hahaha...
    Usually against multiples too.
    Give it away boys.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast