Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/13/2012 12:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Air rifle + home range?

So i'd like to buy a cheap, but relatively fast air rifle and set up some targets in my back yard.
    The idea is to have a fun range where i can plink and practice.
    I think if i get something that's around 1000fps, there's also some pretty good potential for getting rid of some pesky birds etc.

I'd like to keep the rifle <$300, closer to $200 would be nice.

So far i've narrowed it to these two, but i'm open to suggestions:

Stoeger X20 Suppressor
    (They offer a 3-9x40AO scope i'd likely upgrade to.)

RWS 34 P Pro Compact

I've used a RWS before and was impressed with the fit and finish, but for some reason am leaning towards the Stoeger.
    Any thoughts are welcome.

I'd also appreciate any thoughts or concerns on an air rifle home range.
    I'm sure i cannot overshoot my property and i can shoot with a hill as a backdrop anyhow, but how much room do i need laterally for ricochet?
    My assumption is if i can't shoot something directly, it would fall outside of ricochet range, no?
    I would like to err well on the side of caution in regards to how close to the edge of the property i can place targets.

(PS Yes, lol @ air-rifle suppressor. My understanding is they make cocking way easier, but the price-point and performance are what led me to these models.)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/13/2012 7:39pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK, if you are going to shoot a high power multi-pump airgun on your urban property you need a pellet trap. There are designs to build them if you are handy. You can buy traps, most are rather small though. They are designed for bullseye type shooting.
    http://www.archerairguns.com/airgun-pellet-trap-s/6.htm

If you want to train defensive handgun, non bullseye style, airsoft is not a bad choice. The pellets are cheap and backstop can usually be done with an angled blanket or even bed sheet. Additionally the semi-auto ones allow a pretty accurate manual of arms compared to a pumping air guns.

Shooting in a suburban backyard: Be careful with this. A lot depends on your neighbors and visibility. Some people are going to be upset no matter what safety precautions you take. Also check your municipal laws to make sure you can shoot an airgun outside. Consider privacy fencing and talking to your neighbors.

My personal preference is shooting in the basement. Best of luck.

Posted On:
    1/13/2012 8:02pm

Style: Aikijujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    (PS Yes, lol @ air-rifle suppressor. My understanding is they make cocking way easier, but the price-point and performance are what led me to these models.)
    why lol? A suppressor on a subsonic weapon makes a lot of sense. You should sandbag any of your range, but it still won't protect against flyers when the pellet is malformed. If you're doing pest control, then bait them so they are within your range area, otherwise you'll be shooting well outside of your property.

Posted On:
    1/14/2012 2:57am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoj View Post
    why lol?
    1) 1-1200fps is supersonic and makes a pretty loud crack despite the suppressor in my understanding. While i like speed, i intend to use a heavy enough pellet to keep it just subsonic but that's another discussion.
    2) The action of the piston (not to mention pumping 30+lbs) is likely louder than even a supersonic pellet.
    3) It just sounds silly.

My needs are exactly as specified.

Chemsoldier is "shooting in the dark"; as these rifles are single-pump break-action, and i have a bit of land.

I took medals in HS riflery (20+ yrs ago) and would just like to play around in my yard to sharpen up my basics.
    If i'm gonna spend $ on range time and ammo, i'd rather do it with a pistol.
    That i can pop some birds with pellets is just a bonus.

Posted On:
    1/14/2012 10:27am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    1) 1-1200fps is supersonic and makes a pretty loud crack despite the suppressor in my understanding. While i like speed, i intend to use a heavy enough pellet to keep it just subsonic but that's another discussion.
    2) The action of the piston (not to mention pumping 30+lbs) is likely louder than even a supersonic pellet.
    3) It just sounds silly.

My needs are exactly as specified.

Chemsoldier is "shooting in the dark"; as these rifles are single-pump break-action, and i have a bit of land.

I took medals in HS riflery (20+ yrs ago) and would just like to play around in my yard to sharpen up my basics.
    If i'm gonna spend $ on range time and ammo, i'd rather do it with a pistol.
    That i can pop some birds with pellets is just a bonus.
    You are going to "pop" birds with a 1000+fps air rifle lol, that's going to cut a bird in half. You should however shop around more there are some really nice air rifles that use on board air chambers for multiple shot per fill capability. I'm not really sure you would have to worry much about ricochet since the high velocity on a standard lead pellet would likely just disintegrate if it hit a hard surface. Now this one is a little pricey but it uses a 10 shot mag which is nice : http://m.gandermountain.com/modperl/...2&merchID=4006

Posted On:
    1/14/2012 1:25pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's nice but i can almost buy both of the others for that price, i want cheap.
    We have peacocks and hens here. They are fucking noisy.
    I don't mind if the red-vented bulbuls explode, they eat my tomatoes.

Posted On:
    1/14/2012 7:07pm

Style: Aikijujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a rifle that is 1000 fps with the right pellet, it wouldnt cut a bird in half, might go straight through it though. Precharged pneumatics are a great system, but the rifles are costly, and you have to buy extra **** for them to be able to recharge them, springers are the most self sufficient system, you never run of air.

As for supersonic or not, the pellet will slow down, sound doesnt, so its likely the sound will still get there before the pellet, not that it matters, the point of muffling the crack is to stop other pests from hearing it, the first one will likely never know, unless you miss.

Over here due to restrictions on live rifles, and, power limitations on air weapons, people get really nerdy about their kit, 300 bucks for those would be considered cheap here, I have a pretty old Weirauch HW77k, it would fetch almost that on the S/H market, all of them are made with very good 2 stage trigger units, power and grouping aside I would say it came down to the trigger, firing action, and balance point, all of which need you to have some hands on experience of them.

And to be pedantic, they arent single pump, single pump means a 1 stroke pneumatic, fairly unusual cos they suck, those are both springers.

Posted On:
    1/14/2012 8:55pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, i've used those Predator pellets and even those just stoned 'em.
    I just wish i could blow up those pests.
    We have pheasants, francolins, quail and turkeys in the state.

The supersonic thing as i understand it is somewhat undesirable because it destabilizes the pellet?
    Also breaking of the sound barrier makes the shot much louder, no?

The Stoeger's trigger supposedly sucks and i'd probably swap it for aftermarket.
    There's some pretty interesting history about air guns that i was totally unaware of until this latest bug.
    http://air_guns.tripod.com/air_gun_history.htm

I wish i had the opportunity to handle some different ones, one dealer even suggested buying two and returning the one i liked less, lol.

Pedantry is expected and appreciated.

Flyweight

Posted On:
    1/15/2012 2:59pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I assume you have already but make sure you check your local laws in regards to air rifles. We have a local ordinance against firing air rifles (including airsoft & paintball) in the city limits.

Also, according to a bit of web research I did, suppressors are NFA Class 3 even if they're on an air rifle. :DudeComeOn:
    :Determined:
    HTFU and join Bullshido on Fitocracy!
    http://ftcy.co/tBAxyj

Posted On:
    1/15/2012 4:17pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by christmas cash View Post
    I assume you have already but make sure you check your local laws in regards to air rifles. We have a local ordinance against firing air rifles (including airsoft & paintball) in the city limits.
    Private property is fine here.

Also, according to a bit of web research I did, suppressors are NFA Class 3 even if they're on an air rifle. :DudeComeOn:
    Damn! No ****? I'll have to look into that. Thanks.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast