Page 3 of 3 First 123
  1. #21
    gregaquaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arlie Beach
    Posts
    2,727
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirc View Post
    I went to an MMA gym a few nights ago and was asked several times if I have fought before. I said, "Sort of yeah."

    My coach is doing a holiday in america and as part of that went to some MMA gyms. There was a misunderstanding about how hard he was supposed to be going.

    He got beat up. (which he didn't care about) but also got spoken to about it, which made him feel bad.

    Think it might be a cultural difference. If we have to spar our fighters and go tap "Giggle" they would throw us through a window.

    I was doing a ground and pound drill once with one (escape from mount he wasn't hitting back). And i had to clarify the full contact bit about three times before I had the heart to really try to mash his face in.
    Last edited by gregaquaman; 1/15/2012 2:31am at .

  2. #22

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, let's not forget about the always fresh "I can't do this stuff you're trying to teach me - I've got reflexes from my previous (usually fictional) martial arts training that tell me otherwise" line.
    As in: My guard isn't bad because I'm a newbie. It's what I've been taught in the Kukuruku Temple.

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    41
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This one is a little off topic because it is technically from people who don't fight but...

    "I could never be a fighter, if someone accidentally hit me for real in sparring I would go crazy and probably seriously hurt some people"

  4. #24

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    1,047
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One that I keep hearing from various members of my family- "Wait, what? Mai tai? As in the drink?"

  5. #25

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    23,472
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Sigma View Post
    One that I keep hearing from various members of my family- "Wait, what? Mai tai? As in the drink?"
    Try telling people you do SAMBO.

  6. #26

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Burnaby B.C.
    Posts
    3,034
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Try telling people you do SAMBO.
    Do people usually think you mean this or this

  7. #27
    King Sleepless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Cuba
    Posts
    10,058
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    My coach is doing a holiday in america and as part of that went to some MMA gyms. There was a misunderstanding about how hard he was supposed to be going.

    He got beat up. (which he didn't care about) but also got spoken to about it, which made him feel bad.

    Think it might be a cultural difference. If we have to spar our fighters and go tap "Giggle" they would throw us through a window.

    I was doing a ground and pound drill once with one (escape from mount he wasn't hitting back). And i had to clarify the full contact bit about three times before I had the heart to really try to mash his face in.
    Well that's probably because you don't actually hit hard enough to hurt them.

  8. #28
    gregaquaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arlie Beach
    Posts
    2,727
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirc View Post
    Well that's probably because you don't actually hit hard enough to hurt them.
    Well yes that is the case. But still.

Page 3 of 3 First 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO