Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/16/2012 3:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ho Ho Fcuk You ! View Post
    Two things..

Alter your style field to indicate what method of "sword fighting" you study and second.. It all depends upon what type of sword technique we're talking about.

Japanese sword (generically speaking) translates VERY WELL to use of a stick, you only have to look at what you can do with a bokuto to realise this however, generally, if you can "cut" you can strike with a wooden weapon, if you can "stab" you can thrust with a wooden weapon, blocks and parries are pretty much the same regardless.

Indeed there's a few things you can do with a wooden weapon you perhaps can't with a blade thus, there's a degree more versatility.

In short, you talk bollocks.
    First off using a sword is different than using a blunt weapon like a cane , more force is required to make a blunt weapon cause the desired damage. Not to mention that many sword style have moves that specifically rely on having a blade to cut which is something a blunt weapon cannot do. I would question any real use of a thrust when using a blunt weapon. So in conclusion yes the dynamic is different, you are in fact the one who is talking bollocks whatever that means.
    Now as far as my style I am trying to be as accurate as I can to what I am currently training. I train MMA but am taking a small break from it so as to not get burned out. I have been training with swords for about 30 years off and on in several different styles. I have no one style in my sword training but it is mostly western culture based styles. I have incorporated some of the Asian styles as well, that is why I put swordfighting in a generic term. I'm not sure what you want me to put there, I can change it back to MMA as I plan to still train it after my break. Just let me know and I will comply.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    1/16/2012 3:24pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    To suit my height/arm length, I cut off about 3" from the bottom.

(stand at attention. Turn the cane upside down, and hold it next to you with what would normally be the top end on the floor. With your arm at your side, mark where the cane reaches the crease of your wrist. Cut it a little longer than this mark. Walk around with it for a bit to see if you need to cut off more, and if you do need to trim it, only do so in half-inch increments)
    Note: a trekking pole or hiking staff tends to be measured from the grip at a 90 degree angle of the elbow, making it a good deal longer than the cane measurement style, so plan accordingly.

Posted On:
    1/16/2012 3:32pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    I would question any real use of a thrust when using a blunt weapon.
    Thrusting with a blunt weapon works fine. There's lots of examples but a good contemporary one is thrusting with the muzzle or butt of a rifle. Thrusting with the tip of a riot baton is taught to riot police to fend off rioters (Applegate's book Kill or Be Killed also shows a bayonet thrust to the solar plexis using a discharged tear gas launcher). The aikido/jo guy I train with uses the thrust almost simultaneously with a block, which turns right into a power swing that would probably otherwise miss. In eskrima, some of the most painful strikes I've given and received were good thrusts to the body. WEKAF rules prohibit thrusting techniques to the face, for safety, and that's while wearing a solid face shield.
    Last edited by Permalost; 1/16/2012 3:57pm at .

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    1/16/2012 3:54pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First off I'm talking out of my ass.
    Let’s measure dicks for a minute.

I've spent nearly 25 years studying Muso Shinden Ryu Iai together with other sword related systems. One of which exclusively uses bokuto. Not to mention a decade of Shinai Kendo

I'll guarantee, without a shadow of doubt, I can cause just as much carnage with a bokuto as I can with my 2.5 shaku shinken, not the same injuries, but just as much carnage, even death if required.

What more do you need ?

Now, a cane may not weigh as much as a decent bokuto or perhaps a baseball bat but, what it lacks in weight it gains in speed and kinetic energy so, if I were using a cane rather than a thicker wooden object I might alter my tactics slightly but the premise of my abilities remain the same.

Thrust a cane into someone’s face - it's gonna hurt and cause some degree of injury

Thrust a cane into someone’s ribs - same as above.

They may not be finishing techniques but they have credibility combined with other applications.

It's not about the technique alone but the strategy. Are you unable to grasp that ?
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Posted On:
    1/16/2012 5:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ho Ho Fcuk You ! View Post
    Letís measure dicks for a minute.

I've spent nearly 25 years studying Muso Shinden Ryu Iai together with other sword related systems. One of which exclusively uses bokuto. Not to mention a decade of Shinai Kendo

I'll guarantee, without a shadow of doubt, I can cause just as much carnage with a bokuto as I can with my 2.5 shaku shinken, not the same injuries, but just as much carnage, even death if required.

What more do you need ?

Now, a cane may not weigh as much as a decent bokuto or perhaps a baseball bat but, what it lacks in weight it gains in speed and kinetic energy so, if I were using a cane rather than a thicker wooden object I might alter my tactics slightly but the premise of my abilities remain the same.

Thrust a cane into someoneís face - it's gonna hurt and cause some degree of injury

Thrust a cane into someoneís ribs - same as above.

They may not be finishing techniques but they have credibility combined with other applications.

It's not about the technique alone but the strategy. Are you unable to grasp that ?
    Ok so first let me explain I wasn't stating my training as a here's how big my dick is statement. I know it may have come off as an ego thing but that was not my intent. As far as the thrusting thing we have to disagree on that one. I'm not saying it can't ever work or that it won't hurt to get jabbed in the ribs with a cane, but it is in my opinion like a wrist lock in that it is low percentage to stop an attacker. With a melee type weapon you don't really want your opponent to close to grapple, but that is to an extent what thrusting does. I have been jammed with a pool cue and varius boards, objects, ect, and where as it did hurt and even broke a rib once, it did not stop me from taking the asshole I was fighting to the ground. I would imagine your training with blades probably out does mine as my training in that art has been non-continuous. Since you didn't answer about my style field I will go ahead and switch it back to MMA since that it my dominant art anyway.

Posted On:
    1/16/2012 6:12pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    With a melee type weapon you don't really want your opponent to close to grapple, but that is to an extent what thrusting does.
    How does thrusting open you up to grappling more than swinging your stick like a sword?

Posted On:
    1/16/2012 6:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    How does thrusting open you up to grappling more than swinging your stick like a sword?
    Thrusting commits you to a direction more than a slash and places your momentum toward your opponent. Now a quick jab can solve that problem, but it does little to no damage. A slash when using a blunt object gives you more force than a thrust, and with blunt weapons force is what you want. A sword does not require a great deal of force to be lethal, nor was it designed to be a sharpened club. Swordfighting styles were meant to take advantage of having a sharpened blade, so in my opinion they just don't translate well when used for a blunt weapon such as a cane. And since there are cane fighting styles why use a swordfighting style?? That was my only real point until this slight derail happened.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    1/16/2012 8:08pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Swordfighting styles were meant to take advantage of having a sharpened blade, so in my opinion they just don't translate well when used for a blunt weapon such as a cane.
    Qualify how your opinion is formed.

How much experience do you have training in a legitimate sword school which offers not only a comprehensive technical syllabus but, is based upon strategy.

~Ella Wheeler

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    1/16/2012 8:11pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ultimately it wouldn't unless the person using the cane/wooden weapon didn't understand the strategy of such a weapon's usage vs. the situation at hand.

It's not the weapon which is flawed but the person's ability. Nothing more.

Watch this (albeit highly formalised) kata, any one of the blows from the bokuto would crack one's skull open or break the wrist/arm, the thusts in this case aren't so important because they are being applied as if the bokuto was a sword however, that's a matter of technicality which can easily be altered.

Note the name :-)

Last edited by Rock Ape; 1/16/2012 8:16pm at .

~Ella Wheeler

Posted On:
    1/16/2012 8:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    They're awesome. It feels like you're wielding a dinosaur-killing meteorite.

Very well. To suit my height/arm length, I cut off about 3" from the bottom.

(stand at attention. Turn the cane upside down, and hold it next to you with what would normally be the top end on the floor. With your arm at your side, mark where the cane reaches the crease of your wrist. Cut it a little longer than this mark. Walk around with it for a bit to see if you need to cut off more, and if you do need to trim it, only do so in half-inch increments)

I added a turk's head knot a couple inches from the bottom as a stopper.
    Note: a trekking pole or hiking staff tends to be measured from the grip at a 90 degree angle of the elbow, making it a good deal longer than the cane measurement style, so plan accordingly.

Thanks. Now I am all exited. Can you show me a pic of the turks head?

By the way for forms I was thinking longsword thoughts. (Which I have no experience in at all just to get that out of the way)

Last edited by gregaquaman; 1/16/2012 8:42pm at .
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast