Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    1/11/2012 2:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How do use athletic tape?

I continue to jam the hell out of my middle fingers when training with the gi. I'm trying to take my competition to the next level and need to find a method to tape them. My old coach had a good method but I honestly forgot how he did it. I'm looking for ways to prevent jamming as well as support current fingers. It's the middle knuckle of the middle finger. If you guys have any links or videos of how to tape up fingers and toes that would be great.

(my bad if this is the wrong forum)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2012 3:03pm

Style: BJJ / Kyokushinkai Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have the same very problem and am interested in a solution as well. My right middle finger is open, skin gone etc. from the last two weeks. So today I bought tape but two things really are bad: If I use the normal width, I can't move my finger enough. If I cut it in half and start training, it comes off.

So today I had to re-apply tape every five minutes when rolling.

Looking forward to someone's solution :)

Posted On:
    1/11/2012 3:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought this was quite good and its BJJ specific.

I don't, personally, like winding thin strips around the finger when still attached to the roll, because you tend to make it too tight, cut of circulation and prevent movement. It might work for you though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2012 3:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah, haven't seen that kind of tape yet (have the standard issue Alex Athletics tape). Might go to search for it because this is small and not so wide. At the moment the only thing important is the top of my fingers (hurts like hell to grip into a Gi with no skin protecting the flesh...)

Posted On:
    1/11/2012 3:25pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Prone View Post
    Ah, haven't seen that kind of tape yet (have the standard issue Alex Athletics tape). Might go to search for it because this is small and not so wide. At the moment the only thing important is the top of my fingers (hurts like hell to grip into a Gi with no skin protecting the flesh...)
    This stuff?

http://www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/...athletics.html

I can't see anything that says whether its zinc oxide or not, zinc oxide is what you want. But you need to be careful, because there's two types of zinc oxide tape.

There's the cheap stuff they sell in pharmacies and there's the stuff you need to grappling.

As a rule the brown stuff

Is cheap and wont stay on your finger, as soon as you start sweating it will come off.

Its almost impossible to find the good stuff in UK shops nowadays, so I buy mine from here:
    http://www.fightingfilms.com/top/onl...ping_tape.html

As Judo is popular in Germany you might be able to find the tape in shops or call your local Judo club and ask if they can recommend a website or supplier.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2012 3:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, the one you posted is the one I have. And it is pretty wide, so it doesn't really work. That is why I thought about that tape the guy in the video uses.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    1/11/2012 5:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I figured a judo person would be able to help me as I've seen them taped up like mummies. I'll take a look at that video when I get home.

What about toes? I've been killing my big toe joint now that I've been using my wrestling more. It may be the way I'm driving off my shot.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2012 5:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But where do I get that smaller tape? As I said: The problem is that the tape I find at stores is too wide ;)

Posted On:
    1/11/2012 5:42pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm normally ok with my toes so rarely if ever have to tape them. For a big toe I just get some reasonably wide strips and just wrap from above to below the joint to give it support.

How are you jamming your fingers by the way? Standard practice would be to tape it to the ring finger so you've got a kind of reverse live long and prosper. Make sure to put a piece of tape on the sides of your fingers if you're going to do that though. Otherwise they'll chafe horribly.

There's a really good section on finger taping at the end of Pedro and Ferguson's Underground grip fighting secrets, but I've only got it as .avi files and my video editor can't open them. Otherwise I'd cut it and post it.

Posted On:
    1/11/2012 5:43pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Prone View Post
    But where do I get that smaller tape? As I said: The problem is that the tape I find at stores is too wide ;)
    You just put your finger on the width you'd like the tape slice to be and then make a tear. Voila, customisable tape widths from the same roll of tape.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast