Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/28/2011 1:37pm

Style: Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Crosstraining

I've been training in Judo for almost 3 months now.

Recently an opportunity has presented itself for me to train in either Wrestling or Muai Thai twice a week with Judo, at good prices.

My question is, is it too early to start something else? I love Judo and I don't feel like it's necessary to start something with it, but I think I'd enjoy it, and my Judo coach says I need to toughen up anyway.

I train in Judo twice a week, Aikido twice a week, and one day of general fitness with my Judo coach.

I can squeeze two days of Wrestling or Muai Thai in but I need your advice first.

Posted On:
    12/28/2011 5:34pm

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm personally enjoying cross-training aikido and muay Thai. Can't offer any more than that.

I'd guess adding striking to your judo would be more beneficial from a breadth point of view than adding wrestling

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2011 3:02am

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Coming from a guy who's trained in multiple MA, I will caution that something is going to have to slip. You can train in multiple systems, but its important to have a solid base...but that's more my opinion. I will say that it is important to have a focus: and art that is your primary. Now, I've let that focus vary while simply just doing 'maintenance' on the defocused arts. For example, my base art is aikido...it didn't used to be, but it is now. Currently, I am focusing on Judo and JJJ. However on my own, and to warm up before class, I do maintenance by going over kata and the technique curriculum of my aikido and karate (plus I attend aikido class once or twice a week). I have to balance this between my wife, job, drinking, video game and gym time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/29/2011 12:30pm

Style: Akayama Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have to agree with Daishi. I think if you plan to crosstrain you should have a "base art." I would train in the primary art of your choice until you become very competent in it. Then start to look at cross-training. Different martial arts have different philosophies, which in my opinion can start to conflict with a beginner. Get a primary art and use the other arts to fill in the holes you feel necessary to be filled.(When you are competent enough to make that type of decision)

Posted On:
    12/29/2011 4:24pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There can be sports that are similar enough so that--instead of reinforcing each other--they cause confusion in terms of competition-rulesets. Tennis-plus-badminton, for instance (and there are plenty of other examples).

That being the case, you might want to choose MT to supplement Judo. Not only are they sufficiently different that training in one won't likely cause confusion with the other, but a good striking art complementing a good grappling art should make you more well-rounded.

Registered Member

The Land Of Processed Meat And Internet Trolls

Posted On:
    12/30/2011 1:42am

Style: Karate, Boxing, BJJ noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd go with Muay Thai and judo, great combination. I cross train in Goju ryu and BBT, and it is a bit of a bitch.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/30/2011 6:58am

Style: Judo (noob) & BJJ (noob)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was doing judo for about a year when I started doing BJJ as well.
    I found it fine, I had no confusions (I don't like turtling anyway), and I get more mat-time that way, so It affords me the option to train more.
    And I like both sports equally.

Whether it's good for you, only you would know. I personally don't think it's so bad, but hey I'm a noob, what the hell do I know...

Posted On:
    12/30/2011 8:41am

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally with only 3 months under your belt I would not do either, and especially not the wrestling. But if you want to do this, you need to ask your judo instructor his opinion. If he's an old-fashioned guy, he will be upset if you do this without his permission. If he's more open-minded he will still appreciate being consulted. Plus he will have a much better understanding of your ability to handle the cross-training than us playing guessing games on the interweb.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/30/2011 2:03pm

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My school actually combines Judo and Jujitsu in the same class/curriculum. Typically start off working a couple of standing throws, then some ground stuff, then randori starting from the standing and then continuing once it gets to the ground. Works well together, except tests go a little on the long side...lot of curriculum.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/30/2011 7:14pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Which style (ruleset) of Wrestling?

IMO, you should get a solid base in Judo before beginning wrestling. This is especially important if we're talking about freestyle (bent over posture, single/double takedown emphasis).

This may result in you getting confused during Judo practice. Wrestling shots are awesome techniques, and I myself am hoping for an opportunity to train in wrestling, but I think you're better off doing more judo, rather than the same ammount of Judo mixed in with wrestling.

I'm not sure how Greco-style tie-ups/clinching fits in with Judo, so I'll refrain from commenting about Greco.

Does anyone have any experience with both Greco and Judo?
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast